Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

Feb 14, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
London ON
has anyone used Vmedia internet. is it true that their internet goes out when ever it feels like it? also between 4pm and 11pm 7 days aweek i hear that they do big time throttling to give more for their IPTV users. should a stay away from Vmedia?
Jul 3, 2009
15 posts
2 upvotes
Woodstock Ontario
DealCanuck wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 2:00 pm
I'm not even torrenting, it's YouTube and steam they are throttling
I've seen this with youtube, can't say I've seen much with steam but for me it's mostly patches, not complete AAA game installs (indies are small). Have you tried piping your networking through an encrypted tunnel/VPN? I did notice significant youtube streaming improvement when I piped it through an SSL VPN.
Jun 13, 2008
919 posts
106 upvotes
Burlington, ON
H3||scr3am wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 10:56 pm
I've seen this with youtube, can't say I've seen much with steam but for me it's mostly patches, not complete AAA game installs (indies are small). Have you tried piping your networking through an encrypted tunnel/VPN? I did notice significant youtube streaming improvement when I piped it through an SSL VPN.
Which VPN service are you using?

I posted this in the other thread about CanNet cable, but thought it should be here as well.

I am with CanNet cable (60/10). I also have the same package with Cogeco and currently running both to see the difference. During the day, both are very close to speed, but in the evening (this is only the third day I have been able to test it after 6:00pm during peak times), CIK is VERY slow compared to Cogeco. The first two pictures are using CIK, and the last one is streaming from Cogeco. Notice the "connection speed" line in the bottom two images. With CIK I'm getting about 1/4 of my bandwidth. CIK is so slow, I can't even stream 1080p video from Youtube, and I have never had this problem in the last 15 years with Cogeco.

Jul 3, 2009
15 posts
2 upvotes
Woodstock Ontario
I have a feeling any encrypted VPN service would do it... although I run a custom one through a VPS I purchased.
Sep 18, 2013
8 posts
1 upvote
EdwinF312612 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 4:12 pm
has anyone used Vmedia internet. is it true that their internet goes out when ever it feels like it? also between 4pm and 11pm 7 days aweek i hear that they do big time throttling to give more for their IPTV users. should a stay away from Vmedia?
I've (unfortunately) put my girlfriend on VMedia's DSL internet. She lives in Montreal. Her service is absolutely HORRIBLE! She's on 25MBPS/10MBPS with the supplied WiFi/Modem combo. Tried bridging my own WiFi router and disabling the modem's wifi, still absolute SHIT! They said it's a problem with the backend and that they can't do anything.

Internet cuts out at least twice a day, is always slow as balls, and is just generally NOT reliable for anything, at anytime. Thinking about it, I told her to take VMedia's Cable offering, but she didn't want to buy a cable modem on Kijiji (sigh... too complicated she said). So yeah, their DSL offering in downtown Montreal is the absolute worse. Don't know about cable, but I find cable is usually very good in Quebec regardless of the third-party offering it as Videotron are really on top of their infrastructure and they cover most of the province. Can't vouch for other provinces and places that rely on Cogeco, but I can say I had Cogeco once up in Rimouski and they were very reliable.

Let's be honest: finding a cheap third-party ISP is a gamble and will vary from place to place.

On topic: as for CanNet Telecom throttling, as others have said, it really depends on the backend provider and the infrastructure where you are located. Experiences posted here ARE NOT one size fits all, and this applies to every third-party ISP. I for one have not experienced any throttling or speed issues whatsoever since I've signed up. This is in downtown Gatineau/Ottawa using Videotron as backend provider. If you want the most reliable and fastest Internet in Canada, get Bell's Fiber to the Home. There's nothing that can beat Fiber. If you want to save money and still get decent speeds and a reliable internet, go with CanNet Telecom.
Jun 13, 2008
919 posts
106 upvotes
Burlington, ON
netusername wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 6:14 pm
Heard cannet is pretty bad for voip because of latency (ping)... Any feedback on that front?
My ping was the same as with Cogeco, about 23 so my VOIP service was good.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
3449 posts
811 upvotes
Canuckland
Cannet is a joke, crappy customer service and a lot of throttling
May 28, 2007
214 posts
29 upvotes
Peterborough
I finally ran a hard line to my computer. Just now at 8:40 pm my test results were ping: 18 ms, Up: 123.37 Mbps, down: 10.5 Mbps. My wife was streaming HD in the same room and there was no affect on the broadcast. Our voip has been hardwired from day one with no issues.

Please ignor this post. See post 229
Last edited by Curioprop on Mar 14th, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 18, 2017
1 posts
Hi! Can you give me the contact of your reseller please? I'm very interest to try it... Thank's
Banned
Apr 11, 2012
869 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
User388728 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 11:46 am
Hi! Can you give me the contact of your reseller please? I'm very interest to try it... Thank's
Pmed because it's not allowed to be posted on the forums. You don't have to sign up through the reseller though. Just mention the reseller's name and they will give it to you the same offer.
Sep 18, 2013
8 posts
1 upvote
DealCanuck wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 1:37 pm
7 posts....

Shills
Yes, all the people on this thread who are happy and have good service with them are shills. Did you even read my post? I'm not saying they are the best ISP, but they offer good speeds at a very good price. I've never had any problems with them, but yet again, I'm pretty sure only a handful of people know about CanNet Telecom in my city and in Quebec in general. I don't know how much bandwidth they got from Videotron but I never had throttling issues since I've signed up (Dec. 2016).
Oct 23, 2012
160 posts
44 upvotes
davidribeiro wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 1:07 am
Yes, all the people on this thread who are happy and have good service with them are shills. Did you even read my post? I'm not saying they are the best ISP, but they offer good speeds at a very good price. I've never had any problems with them, but yet again, I'm pretty sure only a handful of people know about CanNet Telecom in my city and in Quebec in general. I don't know how much bandwidth they got from Videotron but I never had throttling issues since I've signed up (Dec. 2016).
Thanks David
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
186 posts
51 upvotes
Been with them since November and am the OP here.

Past 3 days very poor in terms of speed. 1-1.5mbit/sec won't cut it. You can't stream even decent quality (not HD) video with that speed. Been on hold for 20 minutes and gave up for tonight.

If they don;t throttle that's fine but it's definitely congestion or something... Have had the odd hiccup but nothing to complain about, now it's 3 days in a row. Fix it or I will be switching
Jun 13, 2008
919 posts
106 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Past few night have been very slow for me as well (Cogeco area). I have been emailing them back and forth the last two days and here is part of their reply;

It is backbone congestion last night for unknown traffic much much higher than before. You can try tonight and see as we have finished network adjustment around 11:30pm last night. If today same issue, we would need to add extra capacity. But seems for some reason, could be DDOS attack is blocking our Cogeco traffic. It is not throttling issue. Just sudden traffic jumped a lot last night and we made change so that Customer can have no issue but seems can not reach the same as before, so tomorrow morning we will send a request to Cogeco to add another 1G Capacity and ETA to be back to normal around 2 weeks or so.

Tonight was slightly better than last night, at least fast.com was reporting good speeds (60Mbps), but several other speed test sites were showing 20Mbps (this in a 60/10 plan).
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel