Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2019 9:15 am
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1328 posts
241 upvotes
Burlington, ON
They have added capacity in Cogeco area (Burlington) and was done the last week of April. My speeds now are much better in the evening as a result. Here is part of an email I received from them regarding the slow speeds and the added capacity that was recently done;
We had a little challenge last month but now everything is back to normal. So we are managing our network to avoid similar issue again.

Like tonight, during raining, it is recorded highest traffic in past several weeks, but we still have enough spare capacity.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Aug 30, 2005
768 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
I'm getting 1mbps download on their 100mbps package....
Get the world's softest sustainable underwear, lounge clothes, and baselayers from elementpure.com 😃
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1328 posts
241 upvotes
Burlington, ON
MichaelC357076 wrote:
May 25th, 2017 11:46 am
I'm on the 100mbps/10mbps plan and i'm getting 0.35mbps right now... c'mon!
mikescool wrote:
May 25th, 2017 12:38 pm
Are you in Cogeco area? They (Cogeco) have had issues in the last day, so it may not necessarily be a CanNet's fault.
Images
  • Capture.JPG
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Aug 30, 2005
768 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
I did a speedtest and it says i'm on CIK for some reason. I'm in downtown Toronto.
Get the world's softest sustainable underwear, lounge clothes, and baselayers from elementpure.com 😃
Banned
Nov 7, 2013
28 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
mikescool wrote:
May 25th, 2017 12:38 pm
is that speed surprising to you from a garbage company? next time read and trust the reviews
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
4886 posts
1640 upvotes
Canuckland
I'm getting full speed after they sorted this crap out
Mar 22, 2015
22 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I m getting out of there too
Been with them for about 6 months now and me too am getting slow speed and constant buffering with a 30 Mbps connection and only 1 stream , I am in the Videotron area, MTL, I cancelled yesterday but they won't send the cancellation request to Videotron so that the new company can send the installation request , I spent an hour on hold today until the system hanged up ,jerked around from one department to another , people pretending to be managers, failed called backs....no more...
Going back to my old provider, gemstelecom
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
704 posts
626 upvotes
It's been a month since they said everything would be back to normal after their "upgrades". One month later still several posting unacceptable speeds. Glad I switched to another company, trusted my instinct and glad I did. Peace of mind is worth a few bucks extra per month.

Too many customers, not enough infrastructure in place to support everyone. Great for the most part during the day but when their server load gets pushed during prime hours when most people are online that's when you see the deficiencies in this company. To grow and keep your customers happy you need to stay ahead of the game. CIK=CanNet
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Apr 21, 2011
72 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa - Overbook
I have been with them Cannet for a couple weeks on 100/10/u cable in the Ottawa Area... Been good so far, no signs of throttling.

Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1328 posts
241 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I think your experience is highly dependent on where you live. Burlington for me was bad at the beginning, but has been good now for the last month since they added capacity with Cogeco.

I'm glad at least with these 3rd tier providers your not locked in and can change to another provider without any penalties unlike with Cogeco/Rogers, etc. who charge you large fees to cancel when your on their promo plans.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Apr 21, 2011
72 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa - Overbook
I agree with flyboy... I have not experienced anything like that which is described here and rest assured if I do, I will change providers and let everyone know in Ottawa East that Cannet has congestion problems. I should note that my tests go up by approx 5 Mbps when I remove my router and go direct to my modem (the router they gave me for free).

My advice is .. find out about your community before making this choice.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
704 posts
626 upvotes
Again they do not throttle (don't think they do), it's congestion and there is a difference between the two.

I subbed with CanNet back in Nov so from Nov to March it was pretty good, the odd slowdown but not enough to complain about.

I thought "my area" was good and that my service would be reliable. Then came the problems. So even if you have reliability for a month or two do not assume you are out of the woods yet. Spent a good 3-4 hours of my time with CanNet during the month of April while they tried to fix things and wait for upgrades, etc. Forget the internet service itself, anything that steals my peace is not worth it. But that's just me.

Hope everyone gets what they expect and more
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Oct 22, 2006
34 posts
5 upvotes
I am interested in knowing what you guys are paying for the internet and speed? (if different from the advertised prices on website). Was anyone successful in waiving the activation fees? I am comparing with Start Communications (start.ca) - their activation charges are only $25 or free if you are transferring from existing cable connection
Banned
Nov 7, 2013
28 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
htauthority wrote:
May 30th, 2017 2:11 pm
Again they do not throttle (don't think they do), it's congestion and there is a difference between the two.

I subbed with CanNet back in Nov so from Nov to March it was pretty good, the odd slowdown but not enough to complain about.

I thought "my area" was good and that my service would be reliable. Then came the problems. So even if you have reliability for a month or two do not assume you are out of the woods yet. Spent a good 3-4 hours of my time with CanNet during the month of April while they tried to fix things and wait for upgrades, etc. Forget the internet service itself, anything that steals my peace is not worth it. But that's just me.

Hope everyone gets what they expect and more
Funny you claim cannet does not throttle, but I rarely see negative reviews for other isp like teksavvy, start, carrytel, etc. All of them use either Rogers and Bell infrastructure, but cannet is the only company constantly having internet problems?