Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2018 3:54 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
489 posts
377 upvotes
crossfir3 wrote:
May 31st, 2017 4:19 pm
Funny you claim cannet does not throttle, but I rarely see negative reviews for other isp like teksavvy, start, carrytel, etc. All of them use either Rogers and Bell infrastructure, but cannet is the only company constantly having internet problems?
All my reports in this thread have been honest (in case you are accusing me of something)

Every ISP has negative reviews. I don't mind paying a little more as a trade off for less problems. Here they use Cogeco infrastructure. If you reread my posts I have been a cable customer for almost 9 years. Rarely ever an issue with Cogeco and start. I switched to CanNet for the unlimited. CanNet states themselves they do not throttle however they do state during evening hours that customers can expect slower speeds. It's in their literature. If slower speeds = speeds right down to a crawl that is unacceptable for any ISP.
Public Mobile $25 plan, $25 credits until March 31st
Koodo $30 plan, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Dec 15, 2012
672 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Internet has been really solid and stable since I signed up in April. Very impressed with the dollar to service ratio. Hope this keeps on for years to come.
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
285 upvotes
CanNet offers a discount $10/m for customers switching from their direct competitor's Carrytel cable or DSL sub. If someone went through this process, could you explain guys in details how exactly it works:

- will CanNet send you an email confirming this offer when you pay the (refundable) installation fee, or later (when)?
- will they confirm in monthly invoices, this discounted monthly fee is valid for 2 years?
- is there any time frame you must be with Carrytel before the switch, and how would you prove that?
- what will happen with the cable modem supplied by Carrytel?
- is technician's visit required to your home to do the switch?
- will CanNet inform Carrytel about the takeover, or the subscriber is supposed to cancel by calling Carrytel?
- at cancellation, will Carrytel refund the unused part of the monthly fee, and how long will it take?
- did anyone receive the same discount switching from any other CanNet competitor with a similar sub?
Sep 4, 2007
803 posts
209 upvotes
Bump.

Has anyone been experiencing slow internet lately (past 2 weeks)? Been signed up since Feb and it was always good until these 2 weeks where I have prolonged periods of SLOW speeds. They last from 1 hour to an evening.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1034 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
I'm thinking of switching my internet providers but am not sure abut CanNet due to some people's reviews here. I'm in the GTA. Anyone in the GTA have any issues with speeds, outages and/or customer service recently?
Oct 6, 2006
340 posts
155 upvotes
i had a couple of issues with them, turns out my wifi router (asus ac66) was acting up. I do notice slowdowns in the evening but nothing too drastic, i would probably get down to 70-80 range but I play Destiny on PS4 all night without a hitch.

My main problem wih cannet is if you are calling them to service anything for you or to troubleshoot. .. GOOD LUCK. 1) you cant understand shit, 2) they keep bouncing you around like a yoyo, 3) they dont have access to your modem so they cant troubleshoot off-site, 4) service techs dont care to actually understand what your frustration is and just want to close the ticket.

But then again when my bill comes in and thats when you say "you know what for all the hassle i dont mind paying this much.

I have 100/10 package with wired modem, paying $50 after taxes. Living in mississauga (derry and Mavis). I have two IPTVs at home, PS$ and use about 400gb per month. Never going back to rogers/bell.
:twisted: May your wallet R.I.P :twisted:
Dec 20, 2008
85 posts
2 upvotes
ash88 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2016 11:01 am
When I called Rogers to cancel they offered me a slightly better price to stay ($59.99 = $67.79 with tax which was my initial promo price that was ending). Was it worth switching to CanNet?.. not sure but guess the lesson is talk to the Rogers cancellation dept for a better offer.
They (Rogers) did not offer me anything when I called them to cancel their service. Thus, I am with Cannet for about a month now. No problems (touch wood).
Jan 1, 2007
233 posts
55 upvotes
Just had the internet installed yesterday 60/10 cable, I'm unfortunately only getting about 15/7 actual...
Sep 11, 2017
3 posts
Don't do it!

Save your self the headache. They came twice to install and both times gave me the same excuse and wanted to come back a third time claiming both times that the tech needed help ( they think I have nothing better to do than to wait around for them). Very unorganized company. You are better off paying a few bucks more and saving your self a lot of hassle.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1253 posts
211 upvotes
Burlington, ON
shamez wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 4:51 pm
Don't do it!

Save your self the headache. They came twice to install and both times gave me the same excuse and wanted to come back a third time claiming both times that the tech needed help ( they think I have nothing better to do than to wait around for them). Very unorganized company. You are better off paying a few bucks more and saving your self a lot of hassle.
Don't forget that it's not Cannet coming to do the install but Rogers/Cogeco, etc., I think Cannet have very little control if the technicians don't show up when they are suppose to, frustrating as that is.
Sep 11, 2017
3 posts
Understanble. But does not excuse the rest of the stuff including billing. As you say they have no control but what happens if you need support?
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12835 posts
1279 upvotes
Mississauga
Any performance reviews from Mississauga area for Nov 2017?
Feb 28, 2017
166 posts
164 upvotes
I got the Cannet 150/15 Halloween deal for 49.99. Its been working well for me so far, just about 90-98% of advertised speeds, even through rush hour. They only provided a modem though and no router so i had to purchase one. The internet did not work for 2 hurs after the rogers tech left. The cannet tech support rep on the phone was imcompetent to say the least. He asked me "what voltage is the power outlet" as is all power outletsin north america arent 120 V by default -_-

Anyways, the internet started working a few hours later and has been working fine since. They set my account up with a 69.99 plan and i had to file a online service ticket to have it resolved but they took care of it fairly quickly. I was charged 49.99+tax for the first month and they didnt refund me the 29.99 processing fee i paid up front. They acknowledged this and said they would take it out of my second invoice.

small hiccups alone the way but they have resolved it every time. at this price range i def recommend the service.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
2813 posts
2096 upvotes
Markham
Signed up the 75/10 plan for $30 plus $5 modem rental for 24 months. After 2 years, the modem is mine to own.
Connection has been working within 30 minutes after the technician left my house.

It has been 2 days and the connection has been stable. I am consistently getting 50/10 speeds morning, day, evening and night. I don't need top speed. No complaint from me.

First bill is exactly $30 + $5 + tax. No hidden cost.