Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2019 9:15 am
Dec 19, 2004
170 posts
9 upvotes
Anyone in the Richmond Hill area (preferably Elgin Mills between Leslie and Bayview) using Cannet? I'm interested in switching but would like to hear your speeds during the peak times.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1555 posts
126 upvotes
drdtyc wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 7:56 pm
Signed up the 75/10 plan for $30 plus $5 modem rental for 24 months. After 2 years, the modem is mine to own.
Connection has been working within 30 minutes after the technician left my house.

It has been 2 days and the connection has been stable. I am consistently getting 50/10 speeds morning, day, evening and night. I don't need top speed. No complaint from me.

First bill is exactly $30 + $5 + tax. No hidden cost.
Where is this deal not seeing it anywhere?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3087 posts
2492 upvotes
Markham
reggyDeal wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 7:46 pm
Where is this deal not seeing it anywhere?
Click link on the first post of this thread.
If no promo there, then it may have ended or moved to another webpage.

I subscribed on Oct 31 when the promo was still available.
Feb 25, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
if you are thinking about getting cannet forget it. they have terrible internet support as well as customer service. as far as internet speed i signed up for 50 megabites download speed but when you hit peak times you are lucky to get 5 or 10 megabites. their advice try again tomorrow. going to cancel my service asap. brutal brutal experience with them!!!!!!!!! not reliable at all
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1330 posts
241 upvotes
Burlington, ON
You joined RFD just to post this?

I've had them for a year and it's been great for me. Had some issues at the beginning, but after emailing them they sorted it out by adding capacity. Sure it drops off somewhat (from about 70mbps to 50mbps) at peak times, but works for me.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Nov 28, 2007
331 posts
85 upvotes
Anyone had issues with Cannet never receiving their modem back after canceling the service? I've mailed it to their office through Canada Post, but the number is not traceable on the website, and they are saying they never got it
May 26, 2015
2 posts
Vancouver, BC
Next guinea pig in Vancouver - will update in a while. Slightly better deal from the call centre than the website, $25/mo for 30 up 5 down plus $70 install for 2 years if you have your own wireless router.
Oct 7, 2011
32 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Been with Cannet for 2 years in Toronto. No warning that my 2-year contract was coming due and just charged me regular price on my last bill. Happy to start looking for a new provider. Very rarely got the 100 Mbps speeds I was promised and often had issues with streaming (I did expect some decrease on wifi but not to the extent it was occuring).
Feb 20, 2017
65 posts
35 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
I got Cannet Tel last October. I live in Hamilton and the service is through Cogeco's cable infrastructure. Service is very stable. I only had their modem since i already had a google wifi mesh. Paid $45 all in for 60MBps. Price will be going up to $56 in October and then to $67 next October. $59.99 is the regular price but I got $20/month discount for the first year and then $10 discount for another year.

Personally I am very happy with the service. I am on the 60 mbps plan but bandwidth is always hovering around 70 mbps.
Aug 25, 2019
1 posts
I landed here based on a Google search for Netflix streaming issues with Cannet Tel. I've had the service a month now and everything was great until the weekend when my wife started reporting a fuzzy screen and the dreaded circling of death on the Netflix app. Unfortunately I'm out of the country so I'm a little limited in the testing I can do. I've got a Google Wifi Mesh set up so that allows me to speed test remotely but I really want to do a Ping test to see what that might tell me.

With that out of the way, I can tell you that in comparison to what I was paying Cogeco in Oakville for a 60/10 connection with 250GB data cap, I'm really pleased with Cannet Tel. I was offered $34 per month for the 1st year followed by $39 per month for the next year and $49 per month after that. There is no indication on my contract when the price is ever going to get up to the $59 quoted on their website. The service is the same 60/10 but there is no cap. Speed tests regularly show 70/11 through the Google Wifi app. Because internet was the only service I was getting from Cogeco before this, I was paying $85 per month before taxes.

Netflix was working great before I left on this trip so I have no reason to disbelieve the statement on the Cannet site that they do not do any traffic shaping or throttling at any time. I wonder if it is Cogeco actively doing something because it's their backbone we are riding on. Also, there apparently has been a Cogeco truck parked outside our house several times in the last couple of days (the neighbourhood box is right outside or house), so maybe its another issue that is yet unidentified.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1427 posts
677 upvotes
I have installation scheduled for today 4-8pm. Signed up for their 150/15 but support will upgrade me to their 300/20 promo for the same price since I had just missed it.

Here's to hoping their service isn't a complete s-show.

I'm in Markham, ON and average 5-700GB/month.