Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2019 8:47 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
702 posts
624 upvotes
Looks like we now got two guinea pigs, lol. Myself in a Cogeco zone and Abou85 in a Rogers area. See how this plays out.
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Nov 27, 2015
32 posts
guinea pig # 3 here. setup on the 30th lol. Keep each other posted. I'm in scarborough.
Nov 23, 2016
7 posts
Hi All,

I'm not sure if I double posted (I can't find my response)....

Does any of you know that: Thomson DCM476 is a modem they would accept?

I called them up, and 1st rep says yes, and I got a call back, and 2nd rep said no.

Thoughts?

Kind Regards
Dec 5, 2009
42 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
No, as far as my research goes, they only use the Huawei MT130u for the 30/60m plans and the Hitron modem for the 100m plan. Hope this helps.
Nov 23, 2016
7 posts
Thanks Rolo.

I'm giving it a shot.

30/10
30$ activation + tax
3$ + 40$ per month + tax
30th of November

I'm on the other side of Rolo (Toronto/York Area).

Guinea Pig #4?

Kind Regards
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
702 posts
624 upvotes
beehjae wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 10:29 am
Thanks Rolo.

I'm giving it a shot.

30/10
30$ activation + tax
3$ + 40$ per month + tax
30th of November

I'm on the other side of Rolo (Toronto/York Area).

Guinea Pig #4?

Kind Regards
Guinea pig #4 it is, lol. I am up and running. I did have an issue with my router and was losing my patience but it is not CanNet's fault, they helped me actually to walk me through to clone my Mac address correctly within my TP Link dual band router. During initial set-up, connect the supplied modem directly to your PC or laptop before troubleshooting. Getting a little higher than expected speeds. Guinea pig #1 now has service... To note, they gave me the Technicolor TC4300 for my service, they may use different modems depending on whether it's a Rogers or Cogeco line.
Images
  • Screenshot - 11_25_2016 , 11_50_32 AM.png
Thanks to RFD
Nov 23, 2016
7 posts
Good for you! That's a good start.

I hope that my switch is worth it and seamless.

I was with Teksavvy and VMedia before. I am currently with Simconet. Simconet is the best experience I have so far. I'm crossing my fingers.
htauthority wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 11:56 am
Guinea pig #4 it is, lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3089 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto
well glad i found this thread, saw this service mentioned in the Fido hot deals thread and was hesitant because i knew they were associated with Ciktel.

I went on their chat the other night and they said i could still get their promo pricing so i may give it a shot.

will let you know if i become another guinea pig !
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
702 posts
624 upvotes
dchabby wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 12:29 pm
well glad i found this thread, saw this service mentioned in the Fido hot deals thread and was hesitant because i knew they were associated with Ciktel.

I went on their chat the other night and they said i could still get their promo pricing so i may give it a shot.

will let you know if i become another guinea pig !
Makes 2 of us! I checked google reviews for complaints but there's complaints for start and other providers as well, it's mixed. The people complaining are usually the ones abusing the unlimited and getting throttled because of it. No one likes to get throttled obviously. If you are gaming or streaming 4k or 1080P you are using a lot of bandwidth, many users do not realize this. Internet just needs to work for me, I trade stocks for a living so having glitches is a no no. Did a test with 4k youtube streaming for 5 minutes, so far so good no buffering like it should be. I'll try the same test tonight during peak hours and report back with any slowdowns.
Thanks to RFD
Jan 12, 2004
24 posts
3 upvotes
Cambridge
well , if they have some soft limit on usage where they invoke a throttle, they should at least disclose that up-front so everyone knows what's up.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
702 posts
624 upvotes
krazi wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 12:59 pm
well , if they have some soft limit on usage where they invoke a throttle, they should at least disclose that up-front so everyone knows what's up.
I agree and did ask this when calling in. I asked at what point do you start to throttle on daily usage bandwidth and on monthly usage. By what the csr said if you are using 100+GB per day then you are on the radar. Then the customer is using terabytes per month. This plan seems to be good for midrange unlimited use, if you are an high/extreme user then you will probably be disappointed because they will throttle you. Keeping this in mind we should know what's up. Here is a copy of the terms of service, one nice thing to note is their 10 day trial period.

Brief Service Terms and Conditions:

• Service deposit: For some product and service plans, CANNET might charge deposit which will be Refunded upon cancellation or released to customer account after a period specified on customer initial order. No interests will be applied to the deposit.
• Promotion offer: CANNET new promotion offer is available only for new residential customers subscribing to Internet, Home. New promotion offer is not provided to the same residential customer and/or household where CANNET service is been installed and/or cancelled within past 6 months after service activation. Promotion offer may change from time to time without prior notice.
• Maximum Internet speed: CANNET is always trying to provide the highest speed as possible under the speed profile customer ordered, however we cannot guarantee the maximum internet speed as it is related to many factors such as distance from CO to customer site, customer home network condition, Network equipment such as Wi-Fi router, Time of a day, physical line condition etc. Maximum speed in peak hour may be a little bit slow for some of customers. In general customer maximum speed is based on best effort, not guaranteed.
• Unlimited internet usage: CANNET may provide unlimited internet usage for upload/download with or without conditions which is based on residential customer normal usage, if abnormal usage or malicious activities detected which endangers CANNET network; CANNET may suspend customer's service or limited the speed immediately without notice in advance. CANNET unlimited internet downloading policy is also governed and affected by CRTC rules and decision, government laws, and provider's policy which if any change, CANNET will notice customers by email 30 days in advance at least.
• Hardware options: All CANNET customers using the service would need hardware equipment at customer site (Referred as CPE) and CO side. CANNET might Sell, Lease and Rent the CPE to the customers. All equipment sold by CANNET are non-returned if over 10 days from Activation date. If returned within 10 days from service activation date, the charge minus restocking fee will be refunded. All equipment sold by CANNET will have life time warranty as long as the customer is using the CANNET service. The life time warranty is non-transferable. CANNET will guarantee all hardware units to be in proper working condition and will replace all units free of charge if damaged due to non man-made reason. Customers must return faulty units to CANNET and upon further inspection if requested, if CANNET deems the fault to be caused by the Customer, CANNET will charge the customer for the cost for replacing the units including hardware cost and shipping/handling fee.
• Lease to Own: Customer is required to enter TWO (2) years contract, during the contract a monthly charge will be applied and after 2 years, the ownership is transferred to the customer automatic. If Customer cancels the service after the contracted term is expired, the leased equipment is not required to be returned.
• Rental: Till the timing you are using the CANNET services have to pay the device rental and once service will be cancel then need to return the device back (there will be no refund for this).
• Purchase: Customer can purchase the hardware in order to use CANNET service but without monthly equipment rental or lease charge. However CANNET cannot guarantee the equipment customer purchased can be used with other service providers.
• Service Warranty: CANNET offers a (10) day grace period ("Trial Period") to new Customers for their first CANNET service. (In a service address) The Activation Date is the first day that a CANNET customer internet service is activated either a technical visits a customer site to finish installation or the internet service is transferred to CANNET without visit If Customer is not satisfied with the Service, Customer may terminate the CANNET Service at any time during the (10 days) Trial Period by contacting CANNET customer support by phone and CANNET will waive all the charges and do full refund. If Equipment sold is return within 14 days, a restock fee may be applied. For Lease within contract OR rental option, you must return hardware with all accessories within 14 days of the cancellation to avoid additional charge; or hardware purchase fee will be applied if hardware is not return as requested. We will apply the hardware original charges and if you wish to keep that hardw are, you can notice us and original or discount price maybe available. To get know whether your hardware is purchased, Lease OR rental, you can look at the plan details we shipped with the package prior to activation, or contact our customer service.
Thanks to RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3089 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto
well this doesnt seem to make sense - I know for a fact that Cogeco services my area but i just a call from Cannet and they say they dont provide services in my area.

i guess the search continues for me
Feb 20, 2008
39 posts
6 upvotes
Guinea pig #5 here!!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Just signed up for 120/10 Mbps (with rental modem) for $85/ month tax included with 2 years Price guarantee, + $30 non-refundable activation fee.

Will let you all know how my experience goes with their customer service and quality of internet speed etc.
Jul 3, 2009
29 posts
9 upvotes
Woodstock Ontario
Gineau Pig #6?

Signed up for 100/10 service during the promotion. Signed up through a reseller, to be setup tomorrow will let you know how it goes. Got the modem already. Sadly unable to wall mount the modem so will need to rearrange my internet distribution area.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
702 posts
624 upvotes
disk2050 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2016 12:36 pm
Guinea pig #5 here!!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Just signed up for 120/10 Mbps (with rental modem) for $85/ month tax included with 2 years Price guarantee, + $30 non-refundable activation fee.

Will let you all know how my experience goes with their customer service and quality of internet speed etc.
H3||scr3am wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 5:13 pm
Gineau Pig #6?

Signed up for 100/10 service during the promotion. Signed up through a reseller, to be setup tomorrow will let you know how it goes. Got the modem already. Sadly unable to wall mount the modem so will need to rearrange my internet distribution area.
Hopefully everything works as expected. So far no issues here, good speeds, no complaints. For the most part (unless you do not have the best cable connection) and you do not abuse the unlimited you should have no issues. I know I should not have any problems because Cogeco ran a new high quality low loss cable while I was having issues with them. Very thick cable, been several years and no issues since. The only issue there could be is the service itself. Time will tell but so far so good, that's the way it should be. For $40 a month for 40/10 unlimited hard to beat if you are under the knife and stuck on Cogeco. Those with Rogers lines seem to have more options but still a few posters here trying it out.

In the end if other 3rd party internet services take notice due to cancellations it may force prices down further. Competition is good. $40-$50/month for great speed, no contract and unlimited is the price to beat. Again for those new looking, if your family consumes a high amount of bandwidth as in the high/extreme end of the spectrum whether streaming or gaming this service will probably not meet your needs. CanNet will throttle you. Just want members here to be aware, I do not want anyone upset with me should their expectations not be met. That's why we are guinea pigs...If your monthly usage falls into the 100-500GB category then you should be fine. This would be mid range bandwidth usage through other providers.
Thanks to RFD