Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2019 2:01 pm
Nov 23, 2016
7 posts
Just fyi, I received my modem today: MTU130U.

Looking forward to that installation date.
Feb 20, 2008
39 posts
6 upvotes
Does anyone know if it is possible to set up two cable internet connections in one house provided by the same cable company?

I already have cable connection from Tek Savvy as a third party ISP provider from Cogeco. I want to have new second separate cable connect with CanNet 120/10 with different modem for higher speed. Can I keep my Tek Savvy connection and have a new connection from CanNet? Both will be provided by Cogeco Cable lines.

I have been told yes private homes are allowed to have up to two cable connection from Cogeco. Can anyone confirm if that is possible?
Last edited by disk2050 on Nov 28th, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 20, 2008
39 posts
6 upvotes
htauthority wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 5:51 pm
Hopefully everything works as expected. So far no issues here, good speeds, no complaints. For the most part (unless you do not have the best cable connection) and you do not abuse the unlimited you should have no issues. I know I should not have any problems because Cogeco ran a new high quality low loss cable while I was having issues with them. Very thick cable, been several years and no issues since. The only issue there could be is the service itself. Time will tell but so far so good, that's the way it should be. For $40 a month for 40/10 unlimited hard to beat if you are under the knife and stuck on Cogeco. Those with Rogers lines seem to have more options but still a few posters here trying it out.

In the end if other 3rd party internet services take notice due to cancellations it may force prices down further. Competition is good. $40-$50/month for great speed, no contract and unlimited is the price to beat. Again for those new looking, if your family consumes a high amount of bandwidth as in the high/extreme end of the spectrum whether streaming or gaming this service will probably not meet your needs. CanNet will throttle you. Just want members here to be aware, I do not want anyone upset with me should their expectations not be met. That's why we are guinea pigs...If your monthly usage falls into the 100-500GB category then you should be fine. This would be mid range bandwidth usage through other providers.
My average house hold internet usage is about 300GB per month max I have seen about 400GB.
Nov 23, 2016
7 posts
Hi disk2050,

Last time I've heard of this, this isn't possible, as they would need to have a separate line. I could be wrong.

Hi all,

It has come to my attention that they will jack up the rate after 2 years. I noticed this when reading the slip that came with the modem. The sales person however, did not mention anything about this. Although 2 years is a long time, and "not being informed" upfront during the purchase is no biggie to some people... I still think they should've communicated this properly.

I called them and they confirmed the rate increase.

So for those who are reading this... WATCH OUT.

Kind Regards
Feb 20, 2008
39 posts
6 upvotes
beehjae wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 10:41 am
Hi disk2050,

Last time I've heard of this, this isn't possible, as they would need to have a separate line. I could be wrong.

Hi all,

It has come to my attention that they will jack up the rate after 2 years. I noticed this when reading the slip that came with the modem. The sales person however, did not mention anything about this. Although 2 years is a long time, and "not being informed" upfront during the purchase is no biggie to some people... I still think they should've communicated this properly.

I called them and they confirmed the rate increase.

So for those who are reading this... WATCH OUT.

Kind Regards
Hi Beehjae,

I got the confirmation the max of two connections per house is allowed, provided you own the house and not renting it.

As far as rate increase like anything else can and will happen with any ISP. I know few providers have in the past and most will do in future. CanNet is offering price guarantee for 2 years which is a long time and who knows after two years what is available and being offered from other ISP to switched to.
Jul 3, 2009
29 posts
9 upvotes
Woodstock Ontario
just switched over, decent results over my previous Distributel connection (roughly 2x the download, and 5x the upload speed, so that's nice :D) The reseller originally told me the 60MB down was all they could support in my area, but I asked for the 100, as it was only $5 more/month and if it ever becomes available, I should get the increased speeds :D

switch over was super quick, like 10 minutes tops.

checked again this morning to better speeds:
Nov 23, 2016
7 posts
Mine is as expected.

Let's see through the months if there are issues.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
703 posts
624 upvotes
Awesome! I see speeds are good. No complaints here. I did a test on purpose to push my connection and see if they would slow me down. Maybe it was a glitch, maybe it was a throttle but I made it happen :) It confirms why people would complain. Hours of high end HD gaming or streaming can do it if you push it. Lasted about a 1/2 hour, no down time just a big decrease in speed for that time then back to my normal 40/10. So yes it's unlimited but if you try you can push your luck like I did :)
Images
  • Screenshot - 11_26_2016 , 12_17_10 AM.png
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Mar 19, 2006
312 posts
13 upvotes
htauthority wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 1:20 am
Awesome! I see speeds are good. No complaints here. I did a test on purpose to push my connection and see if they would slow me down. Maybe it was a glitch, maybe it was a throttle but I made it happen :) It confirms why people would complain. Hours of high end HD gaming or streaming can do it if you push it. Lasted about a 1/2 hour, no down time just a big decrease in speed for that time then back to my normal 40/10. So yes it's unlimited but if you try you can push your luck like I did :)
Out of curiosity what did you do to get it to throttle? Would streaming a few tv shows in HD, or live TV in hd throttle it? A couple hours of battlefield 1?
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
703 posts
624 upvotes
bujanx wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 5:27 am
Out of curiosity what did you do to get it to throttle? Would streaming a few tv shows in HD, or live TV in hd throttle it? A couple hours of battlefield 1?
You would need to try and see, YMMV. Only wanted to push the limit once, won't be doing it again. If they do throttle then you can watch SD no problem still, anything 720P and up will be unplayable until the speeds get back to normal. Try some 4k at max everything and see how long it lasts. The bandwidth is huge.
Thanks to RFD
Nov 23, 2016
7 posts
In your case, does that translate to 100gigs? 200gigs in a day? more?
htauthority wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 12:37 pm
You would need to try and see, YMMV.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
703 posts
624 upvotes
Probably around 50G, continuous non stop streaming with multiple devices
Thanks to RFD
Oct 23, 2012
360 posts
256 upvotes
htauthority wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 11:20 pm
Probably around 50G, continuous non stop streaming with multiple devices
That is pretty good. Will continue to follow this thread to see if people get their advertised speeds during peak hours. I only use 12GBs in a day. But don't see myself ever going over 25GBs.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1793 posts
1207 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for all the info/advice on data limits, htauthority. I just signed up with Can-Net, should have service activated next week - I was worried because our kids watch a LOT of Netflix, but I checked our router's traffic stats and we average about 300 GB a month so should be fine. Netflix is set for HD all the time, but maybe kids shows are often in lower def because kids couldn't care less?
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK