Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2018 3:54 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
376 posts
278 upvotes
cappaj wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2016 10:51 am
Thanks for all the info/advice on data limits, htauthority. I just signed up with Can-Net, should have service activated next week - I was worried because our kids watch a LOT of Netflix, but I checked our router's traffic stats and we average about 300 GB a month so should be fine. Netflix is set for HD all the time, but maybe kids shows are often in lower def because kids couldn't care less?
Netflix SD = 1GB per hour, Netflix HD = 3GB per hour so your good for 10 hours a day to get your 300GB. Surfing the web does not use much bandwidth. Netflix uses a lower bitrate to save bandwidth. Also depends on the codec but won't get into detail about that.

High end streaming or gaming can easily use 20-30GB per hour depending on settings as a comparison to the Netflix you are worried about. A high end game/stream can use 10x what your kids use per hour. So parents with a cap have cause for concern for sure :) Especially if the kids do the all night gaming marathons competing with others from around the world at max settings.
Mar 31, 2015
123 posts
38 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
htauthority wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2016 12:49 pm
Netflix SD = 1GB per hour, Netflix HD = 3GB per hour so your good for 10 hours a day to get your 300GB. Surfing the web does not use much bandwidth. Netflix uses a lower bitrate to save bandwidth. Also depends on the codec but won't get into detail about that.

High end streaming or gaming can easily use 20-30GB per hour depending on settings as a comparison to the Netflix you are worried about. A high end game/stream can use 10x what your kids use per hour. So parents with a cap have cause for concern for sure :) Especially if the kids do the all night gaming marathons competing with others from around the world at max settings.
Just to clarify, online gaming doesn't take much bandwidth compared to streaming videos.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
376 posts
278 upvotes
MacRay wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2016 7:52 pm
Just to clarify, online gaming doesn't take much bandwidth compared to streaming videos.
I am not a gamer, do you know how much bandwidth is used? I just figured you are using download and upload when gaming so if you are playing the latest games online against someone it must use quite a bit? Sorry if i have been wrong.
Mar 31, 2015
123 posts
38 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
htauthority wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2016 2:23 am
I am not a gamer, do you know how much bandwidth is used? I just figured you are using download and upload when gaming so if you are playing the latest games online against someone it must use quite a bit? Sorry if i have been wrong.
No problem, sorry if I came off as smug. That was not my intention. Online gaming on the ps4 takes anywhere from 50MB-150MB, depending on the game. Still a significant amount. Though downloading patches for the game can each a few GBs.
Jul 3, 2009
28 posts
9 upvotes
Woodstock Ontario
MacRay wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2016 8:07 am
No problem, sorry if I came off as smug. That was not my intention. Online gaming on the ps4 takes anywhere from 50MB-150MB, depending on the game. Still a significant amount. Though downloading patches for the game can each a few GBs.
Yeah the largest bandwidth usage on the latest games is the installation (downloading the whole game if you buy through an online distribution platform) and/or patching. generally when actually ingame, all that is sent between client and server is telemetry data (user moved from x to y, and shot and x,y,z using wep w/e....) client replies to the action taken and tells the client how to render the environment changes, etc. it's pretty light in terms of data usage.
Oct 23, 2012
294 posts
178 upvotes
Did you sign up through the canNet site or was it another site.

On canNet site it shows $99 acitations. But on Kijiji there are sellers selling CIK, canNet and the plans are better and installation is $30

In Quebec
On canNet site for example 5 M unlimited is $34 unlimited activation is $99

On Kijiji sellers selling the same service from canNet at $27.95 with the activation on being $30.

So I don't know if I can trust those ads on Kijiji. Seems to low. Are they middie men for canNet.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
376 posts
278 upvotes
rogue17 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 10:03 am

On canNet site it shows $99 acitations. But on Kijiji there are sellers selling CIK, canNet and the plans are better and installation is $30

In Quebec

On Kijiji sellers selling the same service from canNet at $27.95 with the activation on being $30.

So I don't know if I can trust those ads on Kijiji. Seems to low. Are they middie men for canNet.
Thanks for your help guys, I understand more about gaming and the bandwidth used now.

rogue, the website pricing is clearly higher. Call in your order directly if you do not trust the resellers. Should be $30 to install then your package of choice with an added $10 discount per month. No contract, price guarantee for 2 years before increase. I am not familiar with the QC plans.
Jul 3, 2009
28 posts
9 upvotes
Woodstock Ontario
rogue17 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2016 10:03 am

In Quebec

I used the same reseller you're talking about rogue, had no issues.
Dec 4, 2016
20 posts
1 upvote
I have signed through the Cannet site for cable 100M Plan and got discount of $10. I think sometimes we get something better than what other service providers offers and best part is no contract .
Mar 20, 2007
783 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
I am currently with CIK Telecom. I called CIK to ask for price match to 100M/10M plan but they refuse so I ask to cancel my existing plan and subscribe to CanNet 100M/10M service. I got email confirmation this morning and subsequently someone called me ask for more information. Another 30 mins later, I got a SMS message saying my new service request has been cancelled so I call back customer service to ask for reason. The CSR said the payment didn't go through but now everything is good. OK, so I drop off the phone but then I got call from CIK saying CanNet (seems they resell service through CIK) cancelled my request but I said the CSR from CanNet said everything is ok. After I drop off the phone, I checked my credit card transaction and found a debit from CanNet but got reverse, then a second debit from CanNet and got reversed again. I called my credit card company and they check everything is fine so I call CanNet back. What surprise to me saying they can't process my order as they can't provide the service in my area! I guess CIK doesn't allow CanNet to take away their customer so they simply say they can't provide the service in my area.
Oct 23, 2012
294 posts
178 upvotes
H3||scr3am wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 6:53 am
I used the same reseller you're talking about rogue, had no issues.
Did you use the one in the kijiji ads.
Oct 23, 2012
294 posts
178 upvotes
dearsir wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 1:48 pm
I am currently with CIK Telecom. I called CIK to ask for price match to 100M/10M plan but they refuse so I ask to cancel my existing plan and subscribe to CanNet 100M/10M service. I got email confirmation this morning and subsequently someone called me ask for more information. Another 30 mins later, I got a SMS message saying my new service request has been cancelled so I call back customer service to ask for reason. The CSR said the payment didn't go through but now everything is good. OK, so I drop off the phone but then I got call from CIK saying CanNet (seems they resell service through CIK) cancelled my request but I said the CSR from CanNet said everything is ok. After I drop off the phone, I checked my credit card transaction and found a debit from CanNet but got reverse, then a second debit from CanNet and got reversed again. I called my credit card company and they check everything is fine so I call CanNet back. What surprise to me saying they can't process my order as they can't provide the service in my area! I guess CIK doesn't allow CanNet to take away their customer so they simply say they can't provide the service in my area.
Were you getting the advertised speeds even during peak hours?

Have seen some ads recently in Montreal metro wagons. Never had heard anything about them til now. You're the first person I have encountered that has CIK.
Mar 20, 2007
783 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
rogue17 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 7:44 pm
Were you getting the advertised speeds even during peak hours?

Have seen some ads recently in Montreal metro wagons. Never had heard anything about them til now. You're the first person I have encountered that has CIK.
I have been with CIK for 2.5 years and rarely has problem except hi-cup on modem. The network is pretty stable and I do have the advertised speed during peak hours.
I have the 45M/4M service and just run the speed test which I have the full speed.
Oct 23, 2012
294 posts
178 upvotes
dearsir wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 8:17 pm
I have been with CIK for 2.5 years and rarely has problem except hi-cup on modem. The network is pretty stable and I do have the advertised speed during peak hours.
I have the 45M/4M service and just run the speed test which I have the full speed.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. :)
Oct 23, 2012
294 posts
178 upvotes
htauthority wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 12:39 am
Thanks for your help guys, I understand more about gaming and the bandwidth used now.

rogue, the website pricing is clearly higher. Call in your order directly if you do not trust the resellers. Should be $30 to install then your package of choice with an added $10 discount per month. No contract, price guarantee for 2 years before increase. I am not familiar with the QC plans.
Yep, I noticed that. On their website it is higher than the resellers.

I called my current IISP and they said they will have new pricing in January. I will wait to see what comes out of that. With the CBB rates lower by 80% there should be better pricing by the Major/Big IISPS by now but I'm not seeing anything so far. They're just raking in the cash.