Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2018 3:54 pm
Nov 18, 2014
399 posts
361 upvotes
Calgary, AB
rrabbit10 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 3:14 pm
Well, I have ordered their 60/6 plan. We will see what happens. I asked several times if they can get their services to my house and they keep saying yes.
I remain skeptical though if they can actually provision their services. We will see.
We are currently locked to an Eastlink 20/1 plan as the fastest and only service we can get. We can't even get ADSL (or you could go satellite internet, but that is not a real option imo).
As I expected, I am now being told that they cannot service my address and that it will take 4-6 weeks to refund me my money as I purchased the modem.
They tell me that they are a third party re-seller and use the Shaw network in Alberta. So if you can't get Shaw cable to start with, they can't get their service to your house... This despite me even telling them I am on Eastlink cable when I ordered Cannettel internet and asked several times if they were absolutely sure whether or not they could get their service to my house. Bummer, was looking forward to getting rid of this expensive eastlink (77$/month for 20/1 speed) with their ridiculous 150gb data limit...
Apr 21, 2011
192 posts
42 upvotes
thornhill
Anyone know if Cannet tel has a modem router?
May 16, 2011
219 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Thinking of ordering this. Can anyone confirm if the IP address you're given is local or if it's a Quebec one?
Sep 16, 2002
185 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
They use Hitron CDA3 for 100mbit and Hitron CDA for 60mbit.

Hitron modems have a very vulnerable WPS implementation so you're better off supplying a more secure modem anyways.

Thanks to Rogers a good 20-30% of routers in the wild are the vulnerable Hitrons so I can steal wifi just about anywhere in Canada.

Just signed up for a 60mbit plan, the hour I wasted "communicating" to sign up almost makes this a non-deal :p

Wish they would just give us a promo code & a form to fill out...
Dec 18, 2008
82 posts
64 upvotes
Pretty sure you can register using the online form with promo code CAN100
Its right on their site

KiLLaKoW wrote:
Dec 12th, 2016 2:34 pm
They use Hitron CDA3 for 100mbit and Hitron CDA for 60mbit.

Hitron modems have a very vulnerable WPS implementation so you're better off supplying a more secure modem anyways.

Thanks to Rogers a good 20-30% of routers in the wild are the vulnerable Hitrons so I can steal wifi just about anywhere in Canada.

Just signed up for a 60mbit plan, the hour I wasted "communicating" to sign up almost makes this a non-deal :p

Wish they would just give us a promo code & a form to fill out...
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1538 posts
955 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm up and running! So far so good with speeds - I'll post some SpeedTest results when I have a chance.

One drawback I've noticed - as others have pointed out, CanNet appears to be owned by CIK. I found through Google that CIK always throttles BitTorrent and file-transfers between 6:00 pm-12:00 am every evening, which I have noticed happening with my new CanNet service.
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2174 posts
537 upvotes
Nunavut
cappaj wrote:
Dec 12th, 2016 6:44 pm
I'm up and running! So far so good with speeds - I'll post some SpeedTest results when I have a chance.

One drawback I've noticed - as others have pointed out, CanNet appears to be owned by CIK. I found through Google that CIK always throttles BitTorrent and file-transfers between 6:00 pm-12:00 am every evening, which I have noticed happening with my new CanNet service.
I can confirm that they do, I was with VMedia who also sources from Cik and have recently dropped them because of it, I was fed up.. there was also some throttling happening with Netflix as well

Beware of this company, don't be so easily drawn in by the price
May 16, 2011
219 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for confirming the throttling. Cancelled my order before my appointment. Hopefully they don't give any issues with refunding that upfront fee.
Is the best alternative to this the $69 100u from Rogers?
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
417 posts
312 upvotes
Eldorado wrote:
Dec 13th, 2016 1:47 pm
I can confirm that they do, I was with VMedia who also sources from Cik and have recently dropped them because of it, I was fed up.. there was also some throttling happening with Netflix as well

Beware of this company, don't be so easily drawn in by the price
There is nothing to beware of. The info is outlined in this thread and if you have realistic expectations there should be no disappointments. If your family use is on the heavy side then yes, this service may not be for you. If you are downloading heavily and/or during peak hours shift your big downloads to another time. During peak hours if watching Netflix or IPTV use 720P instead of 1080P+ as your setting if you notice some hiccups. Again only during peak hours. No issues here and I just leave it on 720P.

I would be curious to hear from other RFDers as to whether their unlimited internet through another provider also has hiccups at peak times. I have seen reports but there is nothing better than actual RFDers reporting results. Any Rogers/Fido users out there? Cogeco? Talking specifically about unlimited plans during peak times. Those that have a cap should not have any drawbacks because if they go over they pay extra.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1538 posts
955 upvotes
Ottawa
We were with Distributel before switching to CanNet last week. It was an unlimited plan and I never noticed any throttling at any hour, including large downloads and HD streaming during peak hours.

Has anyone ever succeeded in having an ISP make an exception for them, throttle-wise? Like, if I could make a case for needing to make large downloads in the evening for business reasons?
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2174 posts
537 upvotes
Nunavut
htauthority wrote:
Dec 13th, 2016 2:28 pm
There is nothing to beware of. The info is outlined in this thread and if you have realistic expectations there should be no disappointments. If your family use is on the heavy side then yes, this service may not be for you. If you are downloading heavily and/or during peak hours shift your big downloads to another time. During peak hours if watching Netflix or IPTV use 720P instead of 1080P+ as your setting if you notice some hiccups. Again only during peak hours. No issues here and I just leave it on 720P.

I would be curious to hear from other RFDers as to whether their unlimited internet through another provider also has hiccups at peak times. I have seen reports but there is nothing better than actual RFDers reporting results. Any Rogers/Fido users out there? Cogeco? Talking specifically about unlimited plans during peak times. Those that have a cap should not have any drawbacks because if they go over they pay extra.
There actually is something to beware of - throttling at peak which no other provider practices in doing, today you should not have to do any of what you are saying it's just not acceptable in 2016

There was nothing to do with heavy usage, simply trying to stream a single SD video during peak hours became a hassle

Don't be so quick to defend your thread when someone knocks it, the underlying company has been shown to be rather bad and I'm just kicking in my own personal experience

I switched over to Fido on their current deal and ran the two services for a couple weeks, it was like flipping a switch when I connected the Fido modem, speed tests ran at expected speeds and streaming was not an issue... flip back over to VMedia and speed tests dropped to single digits, SD streams buffering.. so there you have one RFD'er giving his results

Sure not everyone will experience exactly the same as some areas will be oversold more than others, but the very fact that these guys throttle specific types of traffic at peak hours is very much a concern to many and IMO they should be avoided for doing this kind of practice, as customers we should not accept it, is there not a CRTC ruling that prohibits this type of practice on certain types of traffic - eg. Netflix?
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
417 posts
312 upvotes
Eldorado wrote:
Dec 13th, 2016 2:51 pm
There actually is something to beware of - throttling at peak which no other provider practices in doing, today you should not have to do any of what you are saying it's just not acceptable in 2016

There was nothing to do with heavy usage, simply trying to stream a single SD video during peak hours became a hassle

Don't be so quick to defend your thread when someone knocks it, the underlying company has been shown to be rather bad and I'm just kicking in my own personal experience

I switched over to Fido on their current deal and ran the two services for a couple weeks, it was like flipping a switch when I connected the Fido modem, speed tests ran at expected speeds and streaming was not an issue... flip back over to VMedia and speed tests dropped to single digits, SD streams buffering.. so there you have one RFD'er giving his results

Sure not everyone will experience exactly the same as some areas will be oversold more than others, but the very fact that these guys throttle specific types of traffic at peak hours is very much a concern to many and IMO they should be avoided for doing this kind of practice, as customers we should not accept it, is there not a CRTC ruling that prohibits this type of practice on certain types of traffic - eg. Netflix?
Ok that's fair. Thanks guys. It's not "my" thread and I am looking for opinions, that is why we are self labelled guinea pigs. Looking for reasonably priced internet is the goal. Again if i have hiccups, like everyone else, will post them here. If the complaints keep coming from normal use at peak times (Netflix is normal use) then I may be looking at other options even if I am not having problems. Prices are suppose to go down from other 3rd party providers, will look at the options as they become available. I will monitor things more closely on my end now that cap and eldorado have reported their experience so far. I don't download large files or torrents so cannot help with that.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
417 posts
312 upvotes
Looking at reviews for other providers, it seems some providers have issues with ping/latency for gaming
Some slower speeds, down time
Many with buffering issues while streaming and issues with downloading/uploading
Many issues can be location dependent meaning service in one area is great, others not
Regardless of unlimited or "capped"

Rogers/Fido reviews: 211 reviews good, 314 bad
http://www.dslreports.com/comments/1713

Cogeco: Mixed, does not say how many good or bad reviews
http://www.dslreports.com/comments/1653

Distributel: My brother uses them as well, mostly negative reviews just like CIK
http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/isp_c ... &ispid=132

Post is for information purposes. If CanNet is throttling some and they cannot even stream Netflix in the evening hours then not good. All providers have reviews that are not good. Guess the new advise is to try a provider until you find one that is reliable (for your specific area) and meets your needs. Cap said his experience with Distributel was great, google reviews almost every review is negative in all regions. Good luck to everyone. No issues with Cannet for me but I do not download or game. My use is surfing and streaming in Windsor, Ontario. I am fine with 720P streaming at peak hours instead of 1080P to avoid slow downs if any. YMMV
Aug 28, 2016
76 posts
17 upvotes
If you have missed the visit, there would be a charge of 78$ by Shaw.

Have my appointment in a couple of days. DON'T miss your install time big fine.
Feb 20, 2008
39 posts
6 upvotes
disk2050 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2016 12:36 pm
Guinea pig #5 here!!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Just signed up for 120/10 Mbps (with rental modem) for $85/ month tax included with 2 years Price guarantee, + $30 non-refundable activation fee.

Will let you all know how my experience goes with their customer service and quality of internet speed etc.
Just got my connection with CanNet. Simple 5 minute install and below is the speed result.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5885217684