Ongoing Deal Discussion

CanNet Telecom cable internet, best out there? To be determined...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2019 9:15 am
Feb 20, 2008
39 posts
6 upvotes
cappaj wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2016 9:51 pm
Yeah, speed test is always fine for me, I get the 60/10 I'm supposed to. The only thing that's slow is P2P.

Netflix, YouTube, Web browsing all works fine, but it worked fine on my old plan of 15/1. I was hoping to take advantage of the faster speed for faster torrent downloads too (we only use them once a week or so, but it'd be nice to get a whole file in just a few minutes, on demand).
If you suspect Cannet is throttling, go to the site below and run a test on p2p apps. I ran the test and got the following results.
You will need to enable Java on your browser to do the test. I use Linux as OS and Firefox web browser. Good luck!

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/glasnost.php

Results:
Is your upload traffic rate limited?
There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.
Is your download traffic rate limited?
There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1885 posts
1257 upvotes
Ottawa
Oh, I don't suspect it anymore, I 100% know - they confirmed it when I spoke to them last night.
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1885 posts
1257 upvotes
Ottawa
How much does a VPN cost? Does it slow down any traffic, esp. P2P?
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1885 posts
1257 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks! I'm considering just switching to Fido - with free modem, no installation/activation fee (for my address at least - I contacted them to check), and the first 3 months free, I would end up paying maybe $3 a month more than CanNet over the next 24 months. And then I wouldn't have to fuss with a VPN (assuming Fido doesn't restrict P2P traffic, which they told me they don't).
Feb 20, 2008
39 posts
6 upvotes
Every household has different needs for internet. I am not into using p2p etc. All I wanted was a stable fast internet access for a price I could afford which I could not get from Teksavvy so I moved over to cannet.

If you think Fido has the solution for your internet needs then go for it. As far as VPN, it has its own advantages and a lot of people use it for different reasons.
Oct 16, 2008
16 posts
2 upvotes
Does the torrent throttling slow down the entire connection or just the torrent downloads?
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1885 posts
1257 upvotes
Ottawa
I called to cancel my CanNet service today, which, like everything with this company, was an ORDEAL.

Quick breakdown of what I did and didn't like about CanNet:

Pros:
- Lowest price around - I signed up for $45/month (for two years, then it goes up to $55/month) for the 60/10 Mbps plan. I purchased the modem, so over two years that works out to an extra $4 per month, for a total cost of $49/month.
- The speeds I received were 60/10Mbps, as advertised (with the exception of P2P traffic - more on that below).
- Rogers tech showed up when they were supposed to, set things up fast, and the modem arrived same day and worked like it should.
- Tech support was quick to respond to an online complaint - and very insistent. I prefer email/text communication, but they called twice a day for several days until I finally had some time to call back.

Cons:
- P2P traffic (i.e., torrent downloads) are slowed down to virtually zero during peak hours (approx. 7:00-11:00 PM every night of the week). I don't use torrents a lot, but when I do, I want to use them during peak hours and on-demand - that was a big reason why I switched from my old ISP's 15/1Mbps plan - faster downloads.
- A LOT of right hand/left hand disconnect:
- When I finally called back to tech support, I was transferred to another agent, who then transferred me to CIK customer service, who then transferred me to CIK tech support, who said I had to hang up and call CanNet tech support again.
- After I finally got CanNet tech support, I had at least six separate tech support calls with 3-4 different people, who all assured me they do not restrict any traffic ever, even P2P. The sixth person, after 30-60 minutes of troubleshooting and my insistence that there wasn't an issue on my end, eventually spoke to their supervisor, then confirmed that they restrict P2P in the evenings and that there was nothing they could do to fix that.
- Today, I called to cancel my service and had to speak to FOUR different people, with a total of 30 minutes spent on the phone. The first person transferred me to tech support, who said they wanted to troubleshoot P2P traffic with me first and promised that they can in fact lift that for me, could I just give them another chance. I already had Fido set up this morning, so I said no, I'm sure. Next person said okay, it's cancelled, you'll be credited for the last 12 days of the month back onto my credit card but they won't take the modem back (which I expected, that was my live-and-learn cost). Fourth person called back half an hour later to offer one last time to lift the P2P restriction. I said no thanks, so he said I had to return the modem because the $99 I had paid was just a "processing and shipping fee"! If I had any doubts about leaving them, that nonsense would've made up my mind. I said no, there's no rental fee on my first invoice and I explicitly chose the modem purchase option. He put me on hold for 5 minutes, came back and said fine I can keep it. But I won't be credited for the last 12 days, so maybe I want to give them a second chance since I'm paying for the rest of the month anyways?

tldr; Restrictions on P2P traffic and a confidence-crushing level of disorganization made me decide to cancel my CanNet service and switch to Fido which, over two years, is almost the same cost after factoring in zero modem fees and the three-month rebate for new customers.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1885 posts
1257 upvotes
Ottawa
Geod wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 11:23 am
Does the torrent throttling slow down the entire connection or just the torrent downloads?
For me, it was just torrents - everything else worked fast and at the advertised speeds at any time of the day (browsing, Netflix, OneDrive downloads, etc.).
Oct 11, 2004
233 posts
41 upvotes
Interesting about your call to tech support that got transferred to CIK. I wonder if both CanNet and CIK use the same call centre and the agent made a mistake in routing.

There is a current promo through a reseller at the moment for CanNet 100/10 for $39.98/month (shows as a $20 credit off the regular rate for 2yrs) which had no modem rental option on signup, only an outright purchase at $99 plus $9.95 shipping. I jumped on that and so far my experience:
* Ordered yesterday, received modem shipment tracking number today.
* Received confirmation email of Roger's tech visit yesterday; date shown was not a day I had indicated I would be available. Emailed support email address with available dates. Received new confirmation today on a date I indicated.

I don't torrent, so as a user in the other boat, throttling that during peak hours...kind of benefits me. :)

As for your experience cancelling, that's a shame. Guess I will cross that road when the time comes when something cheaper/better comes around.
Aug 28, 2016
85 posts
25 upvotes
Working great for me, but I don't torrent. I chose a modem rental because I wasn't sure about this company. If things keep working good im going to purchase modem in near future. I don't think this ISP would suit people who are heavy users. For me it's awesome same as any other ISP.
Nov 26, 2011
35 posts
28 upvotes
Burlington
Nammo wrote:
Dec 31st, 2016 12:49 pm
Interesting about your call to tech support that got transferred to CIK. I wonder if both CanNet and CIK use the same call centre and the agent made a mistake in routing.

There is a current promo through a reseller at the moment for CanNet 100/10 for $39.98/month (shows as a $20 credit off the regular rate for 2yrs) which had no modem rental option on signup, only an outright purchase at $99 plus $9.95 shipping. I jumped on that and so far my experience:
* Ordered yesterday, received modem shipment tracking number today.
* Received confirmation email of Roger's tech visit yesterday; date shown was not a day I had indicated I would be available. Emailed support email address with available dates. Received new confirmation today on a date I indicated.

I don't torrent, so as a user in the other boat, throttling that during peak hours...kind of benefits me. :)

As for your experience cancelling, that's a shame. Guess I will cross that road when the time comes when something cheaper/better comes around.
Looks like this plan is for those on Rogers network, not for other carriers.

EJ
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1885 posts
1257 upvotes
Ottawa
DarrenN301729 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2016 3:44 pm
Working great for me, but I don't torrent. I chose a modem rental because I wasn't sure about this company. If things keep working good im going to purchase modem in near future. I don't think this ISP would suit people who are heavy users. For me it's awesome same as any other ISP.
Want to buy mine? :p
Nov 1, 2015
17 posts
Toronto, ON
After using the internet for 30days, i decided to move to fido due to p2p restriction. Dl speed was at 100kpbs. bye bye now!