Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 60m $24.98, 150M $34.98, 300M $44.98

Jul 3, 2017
36 posts
20 upvotes
I am not thrilled with the service. I have spent hours with them troubleshooting why I'm getting 3/10 on a 150/15 connection. Many hours were spent confirming the MAC address on the modem.

However after running over 100 speed tests in the past week I am convinced they are being throttled somewhere. Any speedtest from fast.com,speedtest.net, and speedtest.me show the same results at all time (peak and midnight). However if I pop open a torrent right after a test, and download a ubuntu torrent, I get the 150 down. This is at 6pm right now at prime time. I haven't experienced the full drops in speed.

It's difficult to test this as all synthetic (speed tests) read low, but actual performance reads normal. Also cannetel, I'd appreciate some reimbursement for the 4 hours in the past week, running speedtests and confirming MAC addresses.

Thoughts?
Jul 3, 2017
36 posts
20 upvotes
wonder2pac wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 5:28 pm
Service was great until 3-4 weeks ago, when i notice everday especially at night I would loose connection to t he internet and it would come back online after 30 seconds or so.
This would occur 5-12 times a day
I had an Asus router I would notice DHCP errors in the logs when this would occur, so I got a Linksys WRT1900ACS router and noticed same problem.

Called support they insisted everything was fine, so I finally told them if they don't provide me a different model I would cancel the service.
Apparently they are sending a different model in 2-3 days, will see how that goes If I still see the same problem I'm going back to Rogers.
Everything was fine for me as well until Sep1.
Apr 10, 2013
177 posts
16 upvotes
buyer beware

Like many others here, I finally decided to switch to cannet. I kept my Rogers Internet for a week before cancelling to make sure all is well.

Lo and behold just a few days after I cancel rogers, cannet stopped working ...

I called their support line, had to wait on the phone for 30+ mins and got disconnected 3x, they still haven't been able to solve my problem

And now I am stuck during important times to have internet connection being forced to go through the movie network which will cost pretty penny by the time I am done - all because cannet cannot keep an internet connection up.

I was with Rogers for 12 yrs before this and never had a single connection issue.

2 weeks with cannet and all hell breaks loose... I am listening to their stupid wait song on the phone for the past 20 minutes for the 4th time as I am writing this.

"One of our customer service executive will be with you shortly"

Sigh.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5448 posts
2259 upvotes
wonder2pac wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 5:28 pm
Service was great until 3-4 weeks ago, when i notice everday especially at night I would loose connection to t he internet and it would come back online after 30 seconds or so.
This would occur 5-12 times a day
I had an Asus router I would notice DHCP errors in the logs when this would occur, so I got a Linksys WRT1900ACS router and noticed same problem.

Called support they insisted everything was fine, so I finally told them if they don't provide me a different model I would cancel the service.
Apparently they are sending a different model in 2-3 days, will see how that goes If I still see the same problem I'm going back to Rogers.
Are you using the hiltron modem or the technicolor one right now, while experiencing issues?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2117 posts
608 upvotes
Ottawa
espo2k wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 10:40 pm
10:30pm ish and the speeds are back to full. Everyday the cycle repeats like clockwork.
ugh...i was thinking of jumping on the 150 deal they have...but this kinda makes me think again. i actually dont need all that speed, i just want a cheaper price, but with this throttling thing...
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
bobo1234 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 6:19 pm
Everything was fine for me as well until Sep1.
Plain reality is, Cannet grossly overbooked back-to-school students using this forum as a free advertising platform, and increasing readers flow & keeping the thread alive by injecting the bluff talking head into it. But adding bandwidth is often a problem, big boys want to make the infrastructure planning process slow - up to 6 months, while a small company may need it really yesterday depending on user count fluctuation. This is in case Cannet really wants to add capacity. But in reality they may not even want to, since bandwidth in slow time costs only a fraction of bandwidth at prime time. So they figure most subscribers will stay anyway due to low price, no need to buy more bandwidth at night.

The problem is, kids look only at bright offer neon, they don't read reviews and neither realize it can be a fake offer. This is Canada and people are not used to be a fool target all the time like in some 3rd world countries. They assume someone out there is watching for them, but in reality - there is no one watching, unless we watch for ourselves.

Try SpeedOf.me , it seems to be pretty accurate for me. In fact, Rogers Speed Check was quite accurate too most of the time lately. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Last edited by sambul92 on Sep 20th, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5448 posts
2259 upvotes
eugene188 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 11:39 pm
ugh...i was thinking of jumping on the 150 deal they have...but this kinda makes me think again. i actually dont need all that speed, i just want a cheaper price, but with this throttling thing...
It depends - they do have a trial period, but a few in here say the slow down happened only after the trial period. There are happy users in here who suffer no slowdowns, but not everyone is on 150 plan. Some are 75 some are 100. I think congestion only happens for certain areas - it certainly isn't happening for all users. Looks like they'll deal with congestion on an area basis depending on the number of complaints.

Do you know anyone in your area who is with Cannet or can ask in here? That would be the first thing to try.
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 9:12 pm
Are you using the hitron modem or the technicolor one right now, while experiencing issues?... I think congestion only happens for certain areas.
The modem model has nothing to do with speed fluctuations over the day. Older firmware may have higher latency jitter, but both models have the same chipset so will show close performance. Their actual specs are way higher than the plans Cannet advertises now. But speed limits are set in the modem config file, as well as possible QOS parameters. So its not necessarily a local server doing all the throttling thing. Plain reality is, each subscriber's modem can and does limit network speed to match the sub level and QOS targets. As well, bad traffic routing during pick times contributes greatly to congestion and latency in some network areas, and small companies like CIK Tel can't really work globally on optimizing traffic routes in each small segment of large distributed multi-province multi-provider network were they buy last mile bandwidth, they don't have human resources, qualifications, tools and access to infrastructure to do that.
Dec 15, 2012
672 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
If you can't provide the internet level at all times, why the beep are you advertising and trying to sell it to customers? Even if the price is low, it's false advertising and you are definitely breaking rules materially misstating the product. You should be barred from selling. People e.g. sambul92 will blame it on your "third world mentality" (kinda low, sambul92 since all types of people engage in deception, including some of Cannet's employees who have lived in our country for much longer) for enabling it in Canada. Unfortunately the internet market is not regulated yet.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1986 posts
474 upvotes
Gatineau
espo2k wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 12:24 am
If you can't provide the internet level at all times, why the beep are you advertising and trying to sell it to customers? Even if the price is low, it's false advertising and you are definitely breaking rules materially misstating the product. You should be barred from selling. People e.g. sambul92 will blame it on your "third world mentality" (kinda low, sambul92 since all types of people engage in deception, including some of Cannet's employees who have lived in our country for much longer) for enabling it in Canada. Unfortunately the internet market is not regulated yet.
the thing is, they will always include the word "up to" to avoid trouble. That way it is not guaranteed and nothing u can do other than switching. Even rogers or bell cannot guarantee there is no outage and no compensation is required when it happens. Government might do something about it, but unlikely. All they will do is at least try to drive down the price and increase the competition and make everyone no contract.
Sep 6, 2011
96 posts
28 upvotes
Mississauga
technicolor 4350
badOne wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 9:12 pm
Are you using the hiltron modem or the technicolor one right now, while experiencing issues?
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
espo2k wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 12:24 am
"third world mentality"
I agree with you it sounds low, but you really need to research the issue further. This guy stating to be a Cannet rep here, was also doing all kind of role playing on DSLR, from an accountant to upset subscribers (Cannet has a lot of IPs in various regions to supports role playing, but you can sense the style). They were bashing gruesome their direct competitors until DSLR mod stopped all that. So indeed as unfortunate as it sounds people open businesses here, and whether they want it or not, they bring their culture into the business. While local market is caught unprepared to deal with that. And it takes generations to change the mind set. To be fair, these companies fill the gaps in low end market segments and have their customer niche, but talking nice and doing clean business are very different things. Still some people need fast inet during the day, so it may be a good deal for them.

But the internet market is regulated, and "up to" speed level means in practice 10-15% fluctuation max. Rogers and other big boys were doing it too years ago, having insufficient network capacity, but they grow up and were pressed by numerous CRTC hearings to keep the speed level matching the sub level customers pay for. The problem with CIK Tel is their clients like students are mostly of a type who seldom file complains with appropriate authorities and largely under-represented by lawyers , instead they just went frustration on the forums. So it results in CIK Tel being seldom investigated and fiscally reprimanded, thus never encouraged to do the right thing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6217 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 8:16 pm
buyer beware

Like many others here, I finally decided to switch to cannet. I kept my Rogers Internet for a week before cancelling to make sure all is well.

Lo and behold just a few days after I cancel rogers, cannet stopped working ...

I called their support line, had to wait on the phone for 30+ mins and got disconnected 3x, they still haven't been able to solve my problem

And now I am stuck during important times to have internet connection being forced to go through the movie network which will cost pretty penny by the time I am done - all because cannet cannot keep an internet connection up.

I was with Rogers for 12 yrs before this and never had a single connection issue.

2 weeks with cannet and all hell breaks loose... I am listening to their stupid wait song on the phone for the past 20 minutes for the 4th time as I am writing this.

"One of our customer service executive will be with you shortly"

Sigh.
I was almost in the same boat. Cancelled my former ISP after using Cannet for a week or so. Internet went down soon after that.

Took an hour on the phone with the rep until it was concluded that the Modem died (this could have gone way faster TBH). Got a new modem two days later and took another 3 days to have it activated.

So I was out of internet for 5 days. Such is life with a cheaper service provided I guess.

At least in my case I was quick to get a service rep. Rarely took more than 5 minutes. Sounds like you have it worse than me.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2917 posts
1006 upvotes
North York
I signed up with Cannet on July 3 and overall, my experience has been good. However, after 2 months of consistent 100/10 speeds (what I was paying for), I am down to 40/8 most of the time now. Still not bad and I would have kept Cannet if it wasn't for my condo getting a direct fibre line. I switched to the company offering it (Coextro or something). $25 + $8.50 a month modem rental for unlimited 250/250 speed.

Installs on October 3rd. Now we will see how easy cancelling my no-contract, no-commitment Cannet service is.