Ongoing Deal Discussion

Cannet

Unlimited Cable Internet 100m $29.98, 300M $59.98, 500M $64.98

Apr 21, 2011
88 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa - Overbook
I am surprised someone said no tech was required and that you had to end services with Rogers before getting Cannet connected (both are untrue). I had both running for 10 days to making a final decision and although the Rogers contracted tech showed up to connect Cannet services all he had to do was activate the router MAC.

Sounds like bad info.

One thing people do not know about 3rd party providers is... they are at the mercy of Rogers, and there is not a damn Cannet can do when Rogers plays games (which anyone who has done business with Rogers knows they do).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Ordered the plan with Cannet yesterday, but have yet to receive the confirmation email.

How long does it take before I get it? I am not sure if the order went through even though I get the order number.

Also should I confirm my payment even though I haven't receive anything yet?
There's a sucker born every minute.
Jan 31, 2008
693 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
number8888 wrote: Ordered the plan with Cannet yesterday, but have yet to receive the confirmation email.

How long does it take before I get it? I am not sure if the order went through even though I get the order number.

Also should I confirm my payment even though I haven't receive anything yet?
I ordered on the phone...and I don't think they send you the unit/modem until you pay for the small activation fee (which should be re-imbursed afterwards).
I didn't get the confirmation mail that a rogers service tech is coming until a few hours after (2-4hours)
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1272 posts
765 upvotes
Can I suggest OP to update your post with a huge notice in bold:
Do not cancel your existing internet until Cannet has been installed and running fine for at least 3 days. Make use of the 10 day money back guarantee.

Based on my personal experience (been with them since March) and an aggregate of all other posters here, 80% of complaint is the initial installation/customer service and another 20% on slow video buffering times/slow speed.
I'm thinking of transferring my parents internet from Teksavvy to Cannet just for the savings and if I do, will overlap both internet as my initial install at my place was also a very terrible experience.
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Apr 21, 2011
88 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa - Overbook
I do not think the Cannet Rep has control over the OP.. Assuming that is true, rep should simply create a new thread so he can better control things.

I too switched my parent to Cannet after I was a couple months in. Rogers guy I had was a good guy, Rogers guy my mother got was a lazy PoS.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7060 posts
3370 upvotes
For cable internet, you can for sure have 2 ISPs at the same time, although only 1 modem can be connected to the cable line at a time. You need not cancel 1 to get the other, for testing. This applies to condos or houses.

During the installation, they will provide a new interior cable, cut to the length you desire. So remove your old cable and get them to give you new one, and one that is long enough in case you need it to reach another room. It's part of the fee you pay so you might as well use it to the fullest extent. And they carry a very large bag in case you need a really long cable to another room or across the hallway.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
My sister wanted to sign up and she lives about 6 minutes away from me. We call the 416 number and rep tells me that she cant get the deal because she is not in a rogers area. What the hell is that supposed to mean. Rogers was going to be her internet but I told her that Cannet will be cheaper.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
2131 posts
797 upvotes
Ottawa
Fttp open to 3rd party now ? Looks like a good news.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2017/2017-312.htm

In addition to requiring the provision of end-customer access over existing copper and hybrid fibre coaxial (HFC) facilities, the Commission mandated access over fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) facilities.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3032 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
i order the wired model TC4350 and bought the RC-N12 router from the re-seller ($15). waiting for technician to install.
Not sure if this router serves the purpose or not...My home is 3 level (including basement ) around 2000sft.
If any one used the router from the reseller, could you please comment on the coverage and speed especially in basement
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
965 posts
116 upvotes
AIOReward wrote: How to sign up for the 150/15 promotion deal? Can't find any where on cannet website.
PM your name and number and I will arrange for a representative to call you.
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
965 posts
116 upvotes
masoud100 wrote: My sister wanted to sign up and she lives about 6 minutes away from me. We call the 416 number and rep tells me that she cant get the deal because she is not in a rogers area. What the hell is that supposed to mean. Rogers was going to be her internet but I told her that Cannet will be cheaper.
Please PM your sister's address I will check her jurisdiction; our reps check the Rogers portal usually for eligibility.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7060 posts
3370 upvotes
mkannuri wrote: i order the wired model TC4350 and bought the RC-N12 router from the re-seller ($15). waiting for technician to install.
Not sure if this router serves the purpose or not...My home is 3 level (including basement ) around 2000sft.
If any one used the router from the reseller, could you please comment on the coverage and speed especially in basement
This is the very old POS that was given away for free by Cannet's reseller, with a warning that it has very limited range. This is not suitable for what your needs. Not even close.
Apr 21, 2011
88 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa - Overbook
badOne wrote: This is the very old POS that was given away for free by Cannet's reseller, with a warning that it has very limited range. This is not suitable for what your needs. Not even close.
I have this old PoS. It gives me 30 mpbs throughout my 1200 sq foot 2 story home and the router is located in the basement. For myself this is totally adequate. Important devices are hard wired so wifi speed is not key for me. It all depends on what you need.
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
965 posts
116 upvotes
kanata2004 wrote: Fttp open to 3rd party now ? Looks like a good news.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2017/2017-312.htm

In addition to requiring the provision of end-customer access over existing copper and hybrid fibre coaxial (HFC) facilities, the Commission mandated access over fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) facilities.
Great catch by you! Unforunately the haven't made the process easy on TPIA providers. Unforutnately, your cost will be higher than Bell's retail price, which make it not sell-able at all.

It is an old and long story. Not as simple as it has been stated.

The CRTC had already approved licensing of FTTP to smaller reseller back to Nov 2015; however, there is a need to convert current aggregated to disaggregated MOD. In other word, Smaller ISPs have to invest a lot on the transportation to connect to each CO/POI to be able to provide FTTP. Therefore, many smaller ISPs would not be able to afford these services. The news below is CRTC just set the interim rate for disaggregated mode; there is still important details which haven't been released yet, which make this economical and logical to TPIA re-sellers.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
2131 posts
797 upvotes
Ottawa
YrocMorf wrote: I have this old PoS. It gives me 30 mpbs throughout my 1200 sq foot 2 story home and the router is located in the basement. For myself this is totally adequate. Important devices are hard wired so wifi speed is not key for me. It all depends on what you need.
Asus RT-N12 D1 version (the version you received) has great reviews. Check reviews online yourself. It has better wifi coverage (with its two external 5db antennas) than many $100+ routers with inside antenna only. Also it supports DUAL WAN out of box (Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.380_7378).

If you flashed it with Tomato or DD-WRT firmware, you can convert it to a VPN router easily too. Use it as dedicated VPN router behind your primary router.

If Wifi speed is not your concern, it's enough for most people who need an interim router, or a secondary VPN router or wifi repeater.

If you require Wifi speed close to 75M or even 150M, this router is not for you. Go to buy a Wireless AC1900 or better router.
dual wan.JPG
Last edited by kanata2004 on Aug 31st, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18696 posts
5729 upvotes
CanNetRFD what is the fee to change plan...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18696 posts
5729 upvotes
lambertbob912 wrote: Wasn't it free switch or something?
really? i am thinking to switch from 100 to 75 on cable...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Apr 21, 2011
88 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa - Overbook
kiasu wrote: really? i am thinking to switch from 100 to 75 on cable...
Curious to also know cost to switch from 100 to 150 and if the 2 year period would start over.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)