Ongoing Deal Discussion

Cannet

Unlimited Cable Internet 100m $29.98, 300M $59.98, 500M $64.98

Dec 17, 2009
341 posts
151 upvotes
CanNetRFD wrote: Hi, I am not totally sure what you are looking for but we have a promotion for people living in Montreal. 100Mbps unlimited internet for $34.98/m for 2 years. One-time activation fee of $59.98. Modem + router included.

Let me know if that is something you might be interested in.

Hi, I'm interested in this promo...currently with virgin 30$ 50mb contract finishes oct 5th but they refused to extend the new promo since we're not new customers.I live in Mascouche north of Montreal , is your service available in this area if so when do I need to get a scheduled installation before I switch from virgin...also is the modem + router free ?

Thanks
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
965 posts
116 upvotes
Nitecrawller wrote: Hi, I'm interested in this promo...currently with virgin 30$ 50mb contract finishes oct 5th but they refused to extend the new promo since we're not new customers.I live in Mascouche north of Montreal , is your service available in this area if so when do I need to get a scheduled installation before I switch from virgin...also is the modem + router free ?

Thanks
Hi there,

If you can PM me your address I can check out if it is available for you. In general if you have Videotron lines running in your home we should be able to provide the plan. And yes, the router + modem is free to use.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
I just read on the Cannet website that they offer fibre-to-the-building
Select Your Fibre-to-the-Building Plan
Fibre-to-the-Building

CanNet delivers future technology with high speed Fibre Internet, using fibre optical wires made of glass fibre which sends information at the speed of light and is resistant to heat and cold, which assures uninterrupted internet at all times.

FTTB – Fibre-to-the-Building; Connect your building directly with Fibre Internet and forget using slow internet forever. We tailor plans to provide you with the fastest internet offers at a very affordable price.
I was a bit surprised to see that Fibre-to-the-Home was available from a reseller.

I have FTTH with Bell right now and I'm thinking of switching when the Bell promo is up, however the CanNet website doesn't seem to allow me to check if their service is available where I live.
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
965 posts
116 upvotes
krs wrote: I just read on the Cannet website that they offer fibre-to-the-building

I was a bit surprised to see that Fibre-to-the-Home was available from a reseller.

I have FTTH with Bell right now and I'm thinking of switching when the Bell promo is up, however the CanNet website doesn't seem to allow me to check if their service is available where I live.
We are working with several partners on FTTB right now. At the moment we do not have FTTH yet. However we do have high-speed plans available using Rogers lines. I know that is not the same as Fibre but it is the next best thing we can offer now.
Banned
Sep 16, 2019
171 posts
133 upvotes
Man i wish we have cannet in ON. I'm here paying $55 for virgin 100mb dsl internet. Theres no cable available in my area as well :(
Oct 4, 2017
324 posts
132 upvotes
CanNetRFD wrote: Hi, I am not totally sure what you are looking for but we have a promotion for people living in Montreal. 100Mbps unlimited internet for $34.98/m for 2 years. One-time activation fee of $59.98. Modem + router included.

Is this 100mbit service running on cable or dsl lines?
Oct 13, 2008
63 posts
73 upvotes
Does anyone know if the WAN IP changes often for Cannet?

I just have an IPSec running, hate to change config all the time so static IP works well for me. I'm with Start and they don't change often.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes

Maybe it depends. Could you let me know please.

1)What does "$34.98/m for 2 years"; does that mean one would need to sign up for a 2 year contract? If so, what is the clause to break from the contract?
2)What modem and router is included? I have my own Thomson DCM475, I trust I can use my own? I don't need a router, I have my own.
3)Is it DSL/Cable? is it 100/20 (I don't recall the upload rate)
4)I read several posts/reviews (not the newb on previous page of this thread) mentioning bandwidth throttling and/or traffic shaping. Can you officially make a statement about this?

Thanks!
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
965 posts
116 upvotes
vodka wrote: Maybe it depends. Could you let me know please.

1)What does "$34.98/m for 2 years"; does that mean one would need to sign up for a 2 year contract? If so, what is the clause to break from the contract?
2)What modem and router is included? I have my own Thomson DCM475, I trust I can use my own? I don't need a router, I have my own.
3)Is it DSL/Cable? is it 100/20 (I don't recall the upload rate)
4)I read several posts/reviews (not the newb on previous page of this thread) mentioning bandwidth throttling and/or traffic shaping. Can you officially make a statement about this?

Thanks!
Hi there,

to answer your questions:

1) $34.98/m is the price guarantee for 2 years. Afterwards it will be $44.98/m. It is not on a contract so you can cancel any time.
2) Hitron CDA-RES, unfortunately for this plan you cannot you use your own modem. You can use your own router.
3) It is a Videotron cable planb 100 download, 10 upload
4) We do not throtlle our customers at all or implement any form of internet traffic management practice. In some isolated cases it could have been congestion during peak hours that might have caused slowdowns. However our technical support is always looking to improve and solve issues for customers.

I hope this answers your questions.

Kind regards,

CanNetRFD
Sep 19, 2019
4 posts
7 upvotes
I am in Montreal as well, and I am also interested in this offer. How do I sign up for this?
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
965 posts
116 upvotes
Maiev wrote: Does anyone know if the WAN IP changes often for Cannet?

I just have an IPSec running, hate to change config all the time so static IP works well for me. I'm with Start and they don't change often.
Hi there,

Our Cable IPs are almost like static IPs, that means if you do not change router behind the modem, it can be the same IP for several years unless :

1) You change a router or MAC of the router
2) You power off your modem for over 7 days
3) The ISP is changing the network to release the IP.

Our technician told me that they have seen many customer IPs not change over 2-3 years, but there is no guarantee in frequency or when changing of the IPs might happen.
Jun 5, 2009
270 posts
167 upvotes
Ottawa
CanNetRFD wrote: Hi there,

1) $34.98/m is the price guarantee for 2 years. Afterwards it will be $44.98/m. It is not on a contract so you can cancel any time.
2) Hitron CDA-RES, unfortunately for this plan you cannot you use your own modem. You can use your own router.
4) We do not throtlle our customers at all or implement any form of internet traffic management practice. In some isolated cases it could have been congestion during peak hours that might have caused slowdowns. However our technical support is always looking to improve and solve issues for customers.

Kind regards,

CanNetRFD
Hello CanNetRFD, can a current client change to this promotion? If so, do we have to call in to make the change ? Also, how can a new client have this promotion ? I don't see it on your website.
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
965 posts
116 upvotes
matrixsoul wrote: Hello CanNetRFD, can a current client change to this promotion? If so, do we have to call in to make the change ? Also, how can a new client have this promotion ? I don't see it on your website.
Hi there,

Yes, you can call in and we can check which plan you are on and we can check which plan/speed you can upgrade to. Most of the time you will just have to pay the processing fee.

Kind regards,

CanNetRFD
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
CanNetRFD wrote: Hi there,

Kind regards,

CanNetRFD
First, thank you for the information. I have decided though, that Vmedia is a better deal for several reasons.
I think in competitive situations it helps to understand such things (I work in sales, I win and lose deals, ideally I'd like to win all deals, but it's not possible, however knowing why I lost helps me on the next one).
(you may or may not take this as feedback)

1. Speed wise, Vmedia offers 120/20 on their package, so slightly better, in particular the upload speed.
2. Price wise, over 1 year, Vmedia comes a bit more expensive, however (I've looked at the cost over 12 months):
i)Their speed is better; I'm not going to bother breaking that down to the cents, etc, but it's worth a few more dollars for the extra speed.
ii) Someone gave me a referral code to use for Vmedia, which is $25 off, which makes the price come down more (which I appreciate). ** What's interesting here is that Cannet also has a referral program but noone mentioned this, since both parties would benefit (maybe it was mentioned, it's 160 pages in this thread...)
iii) Vmedia includes IP TV for 1/2/6 (depending on channel package selection) months for free as part of the package; this part appeals to me, for the extra few dollars difference.
3. Cannet website only shows "Fibre Internet", nothing about cable, etc. Why is that the case? Is this a new offering for Montreal, and no one has the time to add it to the website? What is I was not on RFD, how would I know about it?
4. Lastly, it's unfortunate that I can't use my own modem; personally this is a hassle. I have a Thompson DCM475 which is standard issue Docsis 3.0 modem, I've used it with Altima without any problem, and would work just fine. Cannet has they own policy, not to support that, and I get why ISPs do this. I can use it for Vmedia, they allow it.

Cheers
Aug 31, 2009
179 posts
174 upvotes
toronto
Got my install done today, it was quick. rogers tech, just plugged in, registered the line. I waited 10 mins, plugged in the new modem and it was up 300mbps!
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
965 posts
116 upvotes
vodka wrote: First, thank you for the information. I have decided though, that Vmedia is a better deal for several reasons.
I think in competitive situations it helps to understand such things (I work in sales, I win and lose deals, ideally I'd like to win all deals, but it's not possible, however knowing why I lost helps me on the next one).
(you may or may not take this as feedback)

1. Speed wise, Vmedia offers 120/20 on their package, so slightly better, in particular the upload speed.
2. Price wise, over 1 year, Vmedia comes a bit more expensive, however (I've looked at the cost over 12 months):
i)Their speed is better; I'm not going to bother breaking that down to the cents, etc, but it's worth a few more dollars for the extra speed.
ii) Someone gave me a referral code to use for Vmedia, which is $25 off, which makes the price come down more (which I appreciate). ** What's interesting here is that Cannet also has a referral program but noone mentioned this, since both parties would benefit (maybe it was mentioned, it's 160 pages in this thread...)
iii) Vmedia includes IP TV for 1/2/6 (depending on channel package selection) months for free as part of the package; this part appeals to me, for the extra few dollars difference.
3. Cannet website only shows "Fibre Internet", nothing about cable, etc. Why is that the case? Is this a new offering for Montreal, and no one has the time to add it to the website? What is I was not on RFD, how would I know about it?
4. Lastly, it's unfortunate that I can't use my own modem; personally this is a hassle. I have a Thompson DCM475 which is standard issue Docsis 3.0 modem, I've used it with Altima without any problem, and would work just fine. Cannet has they own policy, not to support that, and I get why ISPs do this. I can use it for Vmedia, they allow it.

Cheers
No problem. Thank you very much for your feedback. Feedback on forums such as RFD is really useful to us, with feedback like this we can collect it and show it to our management how we can improve upon our plans and policies. As for our website, currently we are working on it and hopefully we can show more plans soon.
Maybe you will sign up with us in the future :)

And yes we do have referral program in which exisiting customer can earn $20 credit for every customer they refer
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1275 posts
888 upvotes
ON
Hi is the 24.98/month promo still on? Thanks
Mar 21, 2009
272 posts
196 upvotes
Hamilton
I don't mean t o thread jack here. But I tried to sign up with Cannet for a 120/10 plan recently on a cogeco backbone. I signed up and for 24 hours everthing was good, then I got an email saying my order was cancelled because I didnt provide sufficient information. So I called up and apparently because I was missing a cancellation number from my current provider they couldn't hook up the service. No problem they said, a Cogeco tech would come out and run a second line. Of course I would have to be there for this. I grudgingly agreed. 2 days later I get an email saying my order was cancelled for not having enough information. I called and they said I didnt have a cancellation number from my current provider. So after talking to my provider, who said they don't have such a thing, I called Cannet back. They said, "no problem" as long as my provider said they would disconnect, it wouldn't be a problem, no cogeco tech needed. Two days later I get and email, saying my order had been cancelled....you can see where this is going. At this point I lost my patience and I cancelled my order. I have don't care who is on the end of the phone, if they resolve my problem, I have no issue. I don't blame the service/sales people in this situation. Cannet's abililty (in my opinion) to service their customers is severely lacking. They have no idea what their automated systems are doing, or how to resolve issues for their customers when those systems go wrong. It was frustrating, infuriating and frankly massively disappointing. I went back to my provider with local reps and high quality customer service. I realize I am probably the anomaly here, but damn what a bullshit experience this was. If the Cannet account sees this I hope you realize your internal systems are more of a detriment to you than your offshore CS people are...
Mar 11, 2019
306 posts
177 upvotes
EK75 wrote: I don't mean t o thread jack here. But I tried to sign up with Cannet for a 120/10 plan recently on a cogeco backbone. I signed up and for 24 hours everthing was good, then I got an email saying my order was cancelled because I didnt provide sufficient information. So I called up and apparently because I was missing a cancellation number from my current provider they couldn't hook up the service. No problem they said, a Cogeco tech would come out and run a second line. Of course I would have to be there for this. I grudgingly agreed. 2 days later I get an email saying my order was cancelled for not having enough information. I called and they said I didnt have a cancellation number from my current provider. So after talking to my provider, who said they don't have such a thing, I called Cannet back. They said, "no problem" as long as my provider said they would disconnect, it wouldn't be a problem, no cogeco tech needed. Two days later I get and email, saying my order had been cancelled....you can see where this is going. At this point I lost my patience and I cancelled my order. I have don't care who is on the end of the phone, if they resolve my problem, I have no issue. I don't blame the service/sales people in this situation. Cannet's abililty (in my opinion) to service their customers is severely lacking. They have no idea what their automated systems are doing, or how to resolve issues for their customers when those systems go wrong. It was frustrating, infuriating and frankly massively disappointing. I went back to my provider with local reps and high quality customer service. I realize I am probably the anomaly here, but damn what a bullshit experience this was. If the Cannet account sees this I hope you realize your internal systems are more of a detriment to you than your offshore CS people are...
I had exactly this problem with other providers when trying to switch two times, always cancel with your current provider and keep calling them back until they give you the cancellation confirmation number and exact date then give that to the new provider you are signing up with. I dont know for sure why this happens but I suspect your old provider did not cancel your service as thats what distributel did to me one time. A second time I had to harasses a different provider to give me this number. Without the number the new provider cant transfer your service. I suspect some do this to retain your service or its some kind of breakdown with Cogeco / Rogers but I dont know.

When I switched to Cannet I gave them the number and date and it was done perfectly.
Mar 21, 2009
272 posts
196 upvotes
Hamilton
Even if that was the case, I told cannet this.. even so they kept emailing me and calling me telling me they were cancelling my order. It didn't matter how many notes they put on my order they just kept calling me. I finally had enough with being bothered by their incompetence.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)