Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 75m $34.98, 150M $44.98, 300M $64.98

Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
924 posts
109 upvotes
sunnyinon wrote: Unfortunately not, the technical support on Saturday evening mentioned that the (hitron) modem is defective and CanNet is going to ship me a new modem on Monday. I have not received any shipping notification of such and also wonder about my 10-day free trial and what happens when the modem has issues and I'm not able to fully benefit from this. I was about to cancel on Saturday when technical support said that I will receive a new modem. Do you have any information of a modem being sent out to me?
Please PM your account details, I'll check for you. I will also mention the 10 day trial period to my superior.
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
924 posts
109 upvotes
cb900f2 wrote: I am thinking of signing up with CANNET on the 150M plan, but how do I know for certian that I will get the offer of $49.98 where their website shows a price of $69.99 - $10.00 promo =$59.98.. I dont want to have the old bait and switch with them.. Thanks all
The prices listed on our website are our retail prices; if you use the promotional code listed on the website it will give you the price you mentioned. The current 150M promotion offers a $20 discount and is guaranteed for 2 years. Please call one of the numbers listed on the first page of the forum :)
Mar 4, 2009
173 posts
31 upvotes
CanNetRFD wrote: Please PM your account details, I'll check for you. I will also mention the 10 day trial period to my superior.
PM sent
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6284 posts
957 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
cb900f2 wrote: I am thinking of signing up with CANNET on the 150M plan, but how do I know for certian that I will get the offer of $49.98 where their website shows a price of $69.99 - $10.00 promo =$59.98.. I dont want to have the old bait and switch with them.. Thanks all
Try ordering through this link: https://www.cannettel.com/promotion/150MCable
There's a sucker born every minute.
Banned
Nov 7, 2013
28 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
espo2k wrote: Most Carrytel users just come here and spread false FUD when they have never had the service. They love to blame others even when they've been proven wrong. Speaks volumes about their credibility. More like lack of it. Oh well, they've been doing it for a long time. Carry on guys. Night.
espo2k wrote:
Okay, let's explore your explanation a bit. If you didn't refresh the page after the FIRST TEST, then it's with real IP - At 8:58 PM is the first screenshot, you have an IP of Carrytel. So we can conclude that Carrytel test is correct. 15 MBps. But you conveniently labeled that Cannet.

The second test you did, you say you didn't refresh the page after switching modems. According to your own explanation, that test is presumbly Cannet. And speed is great in that.

At this time, there are my thoughts:

1. If we trust your own explanations of the matter, you have labelled Cannet as the bad one when in fact, it could be the good one.
2. I'm guessing there will be more modifications to your explanations.
3. Why is there such a large speed test time gap between if all you did was switch the ethernet cable and not even refresh the page?

All of this is useless as the fact of the matter is, Cannet is a very reliable ISP for the numerous months people have had it and I do want it to succeed because of the value for money they provide. So is Carrytel, but you never see me in any Carrytel thread. And it's best Carrytel users don't come and spread false FUD no reason. If you have problem, just say it and move on(customer service). No need to launch numerous campaigns against Cannet.

:)
kwanyeung20 wrote:

+1. This is definitely not your problem on your end. The modem just won't magically become defective at 8-10:30PM EVERY SINGLE DAY. I have stopped responding to calls and emails from technical support as they are just wasting my time. Their so called "Engineers" will only blame your testing method is wrong and do nothing else, and I am sick of it. They won't admit they don't have enough bandwidth no matter what you do. If you really need fast internet at those time the answer is simple. SWITCH!

The reason I'm still staying is just because I also use internet during off peak time quite often so it is nice to have this speed, but If I ever see another price cut or promotion from Rogers or Fido, I will be switching back without a single thought.
you know what is funny? espo2k a loyal customer who defended cannet is now feeling the throttle pain other cannet subscribers are experiencing. cannet chose to ignore this loyal customer and let him post legit screenshots everyday on his throttled internet at peak time. this is called fail marketing, service and support. all they had to do is make an exception and add him back on the whitelist and this pr disaster goes away.
Last edited by crossfir3 on Sep 20th, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 13, 2008
390 posts
74 upvotes
crossfir3 wrote: you know what is funny? espo2k a loyal customer who defended cannet is now feeling the throttle pain other cannet subscribers are experiencing. cannet chose to ignore this loyal customer and let him post legit screenshots everyday on his throttled internet at peak time. this is called fail marketing, service and support. all they had to do is just add him back on the whitelist and this pr disaster goes away.
It really is a shame.

I'm also a loyal customer experiencing the peak slowdowns. I was on the 25/10 plan, which got secretly switched to the 30/5 plan (30/4 in my experience) until I uncovered it. Now I am getting less than 10 Mbps during peak times (8-10:30 PM). We're relatively light users, so it isn't affecting us too badly, but it is quite annoying to see. At least it's consistent?
Banned
Nov 7, 2013
28 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
G0AT wrote: It really is a shame.

I'm also a loyal customer experiencing the peak slowdowns. I was on the 25/10 plan, which got secretly switched to the 30/5 plan (30/4 in my experience) until I uncovered it. Now I am getting less than 10 Mbps during peak times (8-10:30 PM). We're relatively light users, so it isn't affecting us too badly, but it is quite annoying to see. At least it's consistent?
it is.

you got upgraded, but lower speeds at peak time. sounds like false advertising to me
Mar 4, 2009
173 posts
31 upvotes
CanNetRFD wrote: Please PM your account details, I'll check for you. I will also mention the 10 day trial period to my superior.
Trying to reply to your PM just now, but I get this error: Some users couldn’t be added as they do not have permission to read private messages.
Dec 15, 2012
672 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
crossfir3 wrote: you know what is funny? espo2k a loyal customer who defended cannet is now feeling the throttle pain other cannet subscribers are experiencing. cannet chose to ignore this loyal customer and let him post legit screenshots everyday on his throttled internet at peak time. this is called fail marketing, service and support. all they had to do is make an exception and add him back on the whitelist and this pr disaster goes away.
Why do you think that this is proof of a whitelist when it seems like it's the opposite. Has there ever been even the smallest proof of a whitelist? Muddying the waters won't help the customers.
Sep 13, 2008
390 posts
74 upvotes
crossfir3 wrote: it is.
you got upgraded, but lower speeds at peak time. sounds like false advertising to me
I don't consider it an upgrade. 25 vs. 30 Mbps download is not a significant difference, but double the upload speed is huge. Either way, I'm not very upset about it. Peak speed degradation is a much larger issue.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2065 posts
501 upvotes
Ottawa
G0AT wrote:
It really is a shame.

crossfir3 wrote: it is.

LOL yeah that's not upgraded. Upload speed matters too. In fact I'm very sad that my LTE can achieve 2x the upload speed than my cable subscription.

I doubt they have a "whitelist" implemented at all. It really depends on your city and neighbourhood. My speed was slowly dropping from 32Mb at 8 to 7.3Mb at 9:30 and then at 11 or sometime b4 the speed is back to normal. Tbh I don't stream video that often, so it does not impact me as much, but 150->7.3Mb is just not acceptable to the point that is ridiculous. I have heard that Rogers has been offering $60/150Mbps to some customers, for $10 extra it is definitely worth it. But I am cheap and want to keep my expense low. Face With Tears Of Joy
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
sunnyinon wrote: Trying to reply to your PM just now, but I get this error: Some users couldn’t be added as they do not have permission to read private messages.
This message means, the user's mailbox was probably blocked due to private data solicitation prohibited by this forum rules. Trying to elicit personal confidential data of forum members on a totally unrelated to Cannet RFD forum, in a thread that was started by a random forum member and is not even sponsored as official company offer sounds like a scam. If you read back a number of pages, no practical support or resolution was provided at all. After users shared their personal private info with that rep, all they got was absurd reply "don't watch YouTube during speed tests". All these "Thanks" and "Sorry" comments are considered spam on any reputable forum, they are only allowed in PMs. The purpose of polluting this thread with such posts is to increase the topic pages count that serves as a free Cannet campaign here. Apart from that, the rep totally refused to share any useful technical info with Cannet subscribers on the acute subject why slowdown occurs and how the company technically addresses these issues. Total silence on the matter, while he keeps soliciting users private data here and keeps advertising ever changing Cannet promos - all in this random thread they did not even sponsor, meaning Cannet can't be hold accountable for what is posted here.

My opinion is, the rep attempts to hijack this thread started by a random forum member trying to misrepresent it as "official" Cannet support forum, which it is not. He personally attacked forum members who were asking "inconvenient" questions, while faking issue resolution activity here. Reputable companies setup own forums and a confidential ticket based customer support system on their own websites. When a customer logs in and their IP is identified, he logs the complaint, and then monitors resolution and updates through his secured account on the provider's website until the ticket is closed. Here some guys shared solicited by the rep personal data that can be used for an identity theft, but there was no followup or any sign of resolution. Instead, the rep asked a few days later "still the same problems?", meaning user complaints were not properly logged by Cannet and are not updatable & traceable. It appears this forum used by this person as a 3rd party medium to collect active RFD members personal data, and we don't even know who this guy really is, and whether he still works for Cannet at present. All I can suggest: do not share your private confidential info with strangers on the web, contact your provider directly if any issues, ask to speak to the manager or company owner, log your complains with CCTS, they will follow up with Cannet on your behalf. There is official safe issue resolution process we all know about, don't fall for this crap.
Last edited by sambul92 on Sep 20th, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
kwanyeung20 wrote: Upload speed matters too.
Especially on a low end sub. I subscribed to a 30/5 promo way back, but was getting factually 30/2. It was the game changer, as at that upload speed VoIP worked like a trash, and torrents & streaming too. When I contacted the provider, they said "everything is good, slight variations 2-3 Mbps are normal." Yeah, they are normal on a 75/10 sub, but on a 30/5 sub its 70% slower speed, and it changes everything. I suspect the lower limits were set in the modem config file users can't access. The reason company was doing that was to press the customer to up the sub to a much higher priced next level. When they realized its not going to work, they started saying "your modem speeds measure maxed per your sub on our end" disregarding my speed tests, until I insisted on the tech visit so I can see that. Instead of scheduling the visit, they started playing "bad modem & setup" game, despite the modem was new sealed when picked up and worked great. Eventually they have no choice left, upped the modem config file to 30/10, and everything was fixed in a split sec. So its much cheaper for a provider to switch the modem or play "everything is great" game than attempt to actually resolve the issue, and this long wait & paid calls wear many subscribers down, so they agree to pay for a pricier sub. Keep in mind also, modem config files can be very elaborate, and include hourly speed limits schedule. They are uploaded to each modem from the provider's server, in theory based on your sub speed limits, but in practice users can't check that, because it requires service access rights to the modem.
Sep 15, 2007
557 posts
47 upvotes
CanNetRFD wrote: The prices listed on our website are our retail prices; if you use the promotional code listed on the website it will give you the price you mentioned. The current 150M promotion offers a $20 discount and is guaranteed for 2 years. Please call one of the numbers listed on the first page of the forum :)

Hi CanNetRFD, trying to reply to your PM but getting errors. (This user do not have permission to read private messages), could it be that your inbox is full?
Sep 6, 2011
96 posts
28 upvotes
Mississauga
Service was great until 3-4 weeks ago, when i notice everday especially at night I would loose connection to t he internet and it would come back online after 30 seconds or so.
This would occur 5-12 times a day
I had an Asus router I would notice DHCP errors in the logs when this would occur, so I got a Linksys WRT1900ACS router and noticed same problem.

Called support they insisted everything was fine, so I finally told them if they don't provide me a different model I would cancel the service.
Apparently they are sending a different model in 2-3 days, will see how that goes If I still see the same problem I'm going back to Rogers.