Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 75m $34.98, 150M $44.98, 300M $64.98

Apr 10, 2013
181 posts
18 upvotes
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote: buyer beware

Like many others here, I finally decided to switch to cannet. I kept my Rogers Internet for a week before cancelling to make sure all is well.

Lo and behold just a few days after I cancel rogers, cannet stopped working ...

I called their support line, had to wait on the phone for 30+ mins and got disconnected 3x, they still haven't been able to solve my problem

And now I am stuck during important times to have internet connection being forced to go through the movie network which will cost pretty penny by the time I am done - all because cannet cannot keep an internet connection up.

I was with Rogers for 12 yrs before this and never had a single connection issue.

2 weeks with cannet and all hell breaks loose... I am listening to their stupid wait song on the phone for the past 20 minutes for the 4th time as I am writing this.

"One of our customer service executive will be with you shortly"

Sigh.
Day 2 without internet ... My phone bills isngoimg to the roof. What the f am I paying cannet for? Only to get no service and ended up spending more money on phone charges.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2070 posts
502 upvotes
Ottawa
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote: Day 2 without internet ... My phone bills isngoimg to the roof. What the f am I paying cannet for? Only to get no service and ended up spending more money on phone charges.
Why did you switch in the first place? Was your roger's internet plan expensive?
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
kwanyeung20 wrote: Why did you switch in the first place?
People switch basically by being mislead by the low price high speed promise - false advertising. You can't blame them, especially people on low income or study loan. They don't expect this to come to a point when they can't use their sub anymore at night for any practical purposes like movie streaming or VoIP & Mobile-over-internet calls. It may be a good option for someone working from home and needing high speed at day time, but even those people won't agree to abandon movies streaming at night. As per CRTC rules, providers must disclose traffic shaping techniques they implement on their network, and any network congestion issues that would prevent subscribers from accessing certain content on the web like HD movies at prime time. Cannet drops speeds without disclosing to subscribers traffic shaping techniques and insufficient network capacity consequences in the contract, and this directly violates CRTC Guidelines, so the "up to" term is not relevant here.

"Unless your service provider has received prior approval from the CRTC, it may not use traffic management practices that do any of the following:
Block the delivery of content to you
Noticeably degrade time-sensitive Internet traffic
Slow non-time-sensitive traffic to the extent that it amounts to blocking the content"

Even if the content like HD movies is watchable at night, but VoIP or games are dropping regularly, its QoS issue that is still reportable to CCTS, and will result in partial refund orders, and forcing Cannet to buy more bandwidth for prime time.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2070 posts
502 upvotes
Ottawa
sambul92 wrote: People switch basically by being mislead by the low price high speed promise - false advertising. You can't blame them, especially people on low income or study loan. They don't expect this to come to a point when they can't use their sub anymore at night for any practical purposes like movie streaming or VoIP & Mobile-over-internet calls. It may be a good option for someone working from home and needing high speed at day time, but even those people won't agree to abandon movies streaming at night. As per CRTC rules, providers must disclose traffic shaping techniques they implement on their network, and any network congestion issues that would prevent subscribers from accessing certain content on the web like HD movies at prime time. Cannet drops speeds without disclosing to subscribers traffic shaping techniques and insufficient network capacity consequences in the contract, and this directly violates CRTC Guidelines, so the "up to" term is not relevant here.

"Unless your service provider has received prior approval from the CRTC, it may not use traffic management practices that do any of the following:
Block the delivery of content to you
Noticeably degrade time-sensitive Internet traffic
Slow non-time-sensitive traffic to the extent that it amounts to blocking the content"

Even if the content like HD movies is watchable at night, but VoIP or games are dropping regularly, its QoS issue that is still reportable to CCTS, and will result in partial refund orders, and forcing Cannet to buy more bandwidth for prime time.
oh i'm not blaming. Just curious in general. I mean I am one of them too since I was attracted by the 2.5x speed and $10 cheaper than my previous provider.

Good to know that the "up to" is not a magic shield for ISP. Since you are so familiar with this, you should post a tutorial on how to report to CCTS with minimal work if it is even possible.
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
I'll look into it. But we are still interested in lower internet rates too. I'm sure most people just want for Cannet to improve service, which means buying more bandwidth for prime time, nothing more. The reason their lines are busy is many folks are cancelling now, and its hard to get the refund. If they improve service, a lot less people will contact their support.
Apr 10, 2013
181 posts
18 upvotes
kwanyeung20 wrote: Why did you switch in the first place? Was your roger's internet plan expensive?
5x the speed for $10 less .. but mainly for the unlimited bandwidth, had only 300 gb with Rogers previously.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2070 posts
502 upvotes
Ottawa
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote: 5x the speed for $10 less .. but mainly for the unlimited bandwidth, had only 300 gb with Rogers previously.
fair enough, altho Rogers or Fido nowadays seem to offer pretty good unlimited plans and they seem to be a better choice after all. Maybe there will be a black friday promotion and might just switch back at that time.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1825 posts
542 upvotes
Ottawa
I guess CannetRFD was banned because his words about shills. It's very interesting.

He never respond anything for two days, which is not his style.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
kanata2004 wrote: I guess CannetRFD was banned
You can read the forum ToC to figure it out. Someone posted above, he was blocked from receiving PMs, I guess due to soliciting private confidential info here. He basically hijacked this thread on a totally unrelated to Cannet insecure forum playing a boss here, advertising Cannet services, and labeling other members, instead of setting up ticket based issue resolution system on Cannet website, as reputable companies do. And why would Cannet even consider sponsoring ads now, if they have no extra capacity, and the only feedback they get now are massive customer complaints? This is as negative advertising as it gets. May be its time for them to fix their business model?

Lets say someone stupid calls you a shill, and you call them shills, and the company keeps laughing at you all, while misleading subscribers here, soliciting new clients and their personal data, and pushing free ads without even paying sponsorship fees and being verified - how would that affect this forum reputation, security, privacy, no solicitation and fraud guarantees?
Oct 6, 2006
348 posts
161 upvotes
kwanyeung20 wrote: fair enough, altho Rogers or Fido nowadays seem to offer pretty good unlimited plans and they seem to be a better choice after all. Maybe there will be a black friday promotion and might just switch back at that time.
Rogers was offering new customers 150U for 59.99 which I was very interested in, since my service was 100U for 79.99 (contract expired). Even at the threat of leaving rogers, and talking to a supervisor & a manager, they would not offer me the service. I decided to shop around and found cannet, who offered the same 100U service for 39.99... pretty hard to say no at that point. I tested them for 1 month and found the issues they had (primarily communicating with service techs) were manageable to me. So I fully switched with 0 regrets.

So im sorry but when rogers sticks up you HOOHAA for so long and rubs it in your face, it felt good to leave them and they begged in the end to keep me. They even wanted to extend the 150U for me for 6 months at 59.99 ... I told the guy that they are a joke. I know Cannet runs on Rogers, and end of the day, still paying rogers but at 39.99 I dont mind.
sambul92 wrote: You can read the forum ToC to figure it out. Someone posted above, he was blocked from receiving PMs, I guess due to soliciting private confidential info here. He basically hijacked this thread on a totally unrelated to Cannet insecure forum playing a boss here, advertising Cannet services, and labeling other members, instead of setting up ticket based issue resolution system on Cannet website, as reputable companies do. And why would Cannet even consider sponsoring ads now, if they have no extra capacity, and the only feedback they get now are massive customer complaints? This is as negative advertising as it gets. May be its time for them to fix their business model?
They do have a ticketing system, please do not talk about something you have no knowledge of or regarding a service you dont have.
:twisted: May your wallet R.I.P :twisted:
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
Busta wrote: I know Cannet runs on Rogers
You seems to understand very little about broadband internet world. Cannet does NOT run on Rogers whatsoever. They run on CIK Telecom, totally unrelated service provider. Both companies are owned by the same individual, who also frequently posing on various forums. Cannet does buy transit bandwidth from last mile carriers to CIK Tel server, which does traffic shaping and connects the traffic to the internet backbones owned by backbone carriers.
Busta wrote: They do have a ticketing system, please do not talk about something you have no knowledge of or regarding a service you dont have.
If you claim they have ticket system, why don't you post the link here, so people can open tickets instead of reporting problems here, and hopefully monitor issue resolution progress, and report here how their tickets are updated and issues resolved? Where is your constructive feedback that you demanded from others? And what service do you have, how do we know that - from your words? Any person having access to Cannet network can post speed test results here. Winking Face
Last edited by sambul92 on Sep 22nd, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 6, 2006
348 posts
161 upvotes
sambul92 wrote: You seems to understand very little about broadband internet world. Cannet does NOT run on Rogers whatsoever. They run on CIK Telecom, totally unrelated service provider. Both companies are owned by the same individual, who also frequently posing on various forums.

If you claim they have ticket system, why don't you post the link here, so people can open tickets instead of reporting problems here, and hopefully monitor issue resolution progress, and report here how their tickets are updated and issues resolved? Where is your constructive feedback that you demanded from others? And what service do you have, how do we know that - from your words? Winking Face
Rogers owns the lines that the service RUNS on. Thats why they get a ROGERSSSS tech to come out and do the installll.. I can confirm this because I actually have the service and when the tech came out to my place, I asked him all the questions regarding the service, he confirmed that the lines are still serviced by Rogers because Cannet are not allowed to touch the infrastructure, up to the modem (which is from Cannet/or other sources). Whether they are owned by CIK or not is none of my business.. Cannet is my provider, but it runs on Rogers infrastructure.

So to those who HAVE Cannet, go to your online portal (https://www.cannettel.com/) > Log in > Online Complaint > Submit Complaint > Enter your complaint and hit submit. This will open up a ticket with their service techs who will call you at your indicated preferred time and method of communication.
:twisted: May your wallet R.I.P :twisted:
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
Busta wrote: Rogers owns the lines that the service RUNS on.
Cannet buys transit bandwidth from last mile carriers leading to collocation - CIK Tel server only. So it works like this: subscriber house - last mile carrier local area hub - city collocation server - CIK Tel. Local lines are not only Rogers, but also Bell, Cogeco, and other last mile carriers owned who signed a contract with Cannet as TPIA. Bandwidth shortage reported by users here most often occurs at last mile to home due to not enough transit bandwidth purchased from last mile carriers, but can also occur on CIK Tel own network (that one was most often reported by direct CIK Tel customers), and due to insufficient bandwidth purchased from backbone carriers.

Cannet service experience may differ in different areas and with varying last mile providers. Lets say your home is in a scarcely populated area with fast last mile provider service - bandwidth shortage is much less likely to occur compare to people leaving in multiple highrise areas and/or near educational institution campuses. So one person experience with a provider can greatly vary compare to another. To mitigate this, QoS standards are implemented by reputable companies across their entire network.
Busta wrote: So to those who HAVE Cannet
You seems to have a problem understanding what RFD forum is about. Here people discuss various deals they found on the web and in the media. Most of these folks are not current buyers or subscribers to the deals, and really its impossible to verify, and totally out of your rich to manage what people will read, post or use any info found here. This is a public forum accessible to anyone - that's all you need to hopefully comprehend, and you can not change that. If you disagree with that basic principle and forum rules, pls think may be its not the right place for you? Winking Face
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2070 posts
502 upvotes
Ottawa
kanata2004 wrote: I guess CannetRFD was banned because his words about shills. It's very interesting.

He never respond anything for two days, which is not his style.
Not sure if he is banned, but he got downgraded from verified reps to member. He is probably not completely banned.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2070 posts
502 upvotes
Ottawa
Busta wrote: Rogers was offering new customers 150U for 59.99 which I was very interested in, since my service was 100U for 79.99 (contract expired). Even at the threat of leaving rogers, and talking to a supervisor & a manager, they would not offer me the service. I decided to shop around and found cannet, who offered the same 100U service for 39.99... pretty hard to say no at that point. I tested them for 1 month and found the issues they had (primarily communicating with service techs) were manageable to me. So I fully switched with 0 regrets.

So im sorry but when rogers sticks up you HOOHAA for so long and rubs it in your face, it felt good to leave them and they begged in the end to keep me. They even wanted to extend the 150U for me for 6 months at 59.99 ... I told the guy that they are a joke. I know Cannet runs on Rogers, and end of the day, still paying rogers but at 39.99 I dont mind.

They do have a ticketing system, please do not talk about something you have no knowledge of or regarding a service you dont have.
I'm just saying Rogers' service is good, but not their business practice. When I was still using Fido internet, which is practically Rogers, I have no congestion or throttling problem. If Cannet works for you that's great, but that does not mean the problem will go away for those who are affected.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)