Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 75m $34.98, 150M $44.98, 300M $64.98

Jan 21, 2019
11 posts
6 upvotes
I called Cannet today, but was told the info here isn't correct: they don't have the 60M Cable internet @$24.98/month, but it's $29.98, and no 150M @$34.98/month, but $39.98. Has the price changed, or anyone can still get the low price as this post claims? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3206 posts
1242 upvotes
GroceryBagHead wrote: I'm on Cannet (CIK) for over a year now. Was fine until literally few week ago. Getting throttled HARD at night! Speedtest.com still shows around 70/10 as if everything is fine. But youtube stutters and cannot hold 1080p playback, Imgur.com takes entire 3 minutes to load 4 megs of content! Most of the sites are completely unusable.

Running traceroute can see

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 16 ms 18 ms 20 ms 24.156.150.230
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * 3892 ms 204.197.190.57
5 14 ms 13 ms 21 ms 135.0.199.85
6 14 ms 16 ms 17 ms te0-0-1-14.ccr31.yyz02.atlas.cogentco.com [38.104.158.9]

What is that router that takes almost 4 seconds to respond? Oh it's CIK! Seems like their routing equipment is on fire and it explains why nothing is loading.

Time to switch it seems.

Oh, here's a funny: https://www.cannettel.com/blog/viewpage/article-27
> Our CEO announced in January of 2017, if any customer could provide proof that CanNet is throttling internet, they would receive a $100 bonus

But: https://www.ciktel.com/TechSupport/Internet
> CIK set traffic restriction for non-real time program such as BitTorrent just in peak hour ( 6:45pm to 10:45pm) in QC and rest of cities in Ontario.

Where do I claim my $100?

Oh. And before somebody chimes in with "bUT WiFI iS InCONsitEnT". It's all tested on a wired gigabit network. I have speed test utility installed on my file server it's maxing gigabit both ways. It's not me, it's Cannet/CIK.

And of course you can check: https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/ and it's clear that connection goes to shit from 5pm to midnight for everybody.
This is the way they operate. Yep, send us proof so we can see the way you're detecting our throttling and work on making it more difficult to prove. Oh and if you have a problem feel free to email the CEO. Roflmao. What a load of BS. Time after time it's been proven that they throttle and yet their RFD affiliate comes in here and denies it while trying to pretend like they're transparent and customer focused. Cringeworthy. There was even that recent instance of some websites not loading properly when using CanNet. The affiliate shows up and asks for people to PM their account info so it can be looked into. Seriously? By asking for account info to troubleshoot access to particular websites, you're only confirming that you DO interfere, shape and/or throttle traffic. Nothing account specific would be useful to solving that problem otherwise as all "accounts" should be the same if no throttling is occurring.
Jul 23, 2003
512 posts
31 upvotes
Chatham
So, hey, a follow up. I switched from Cannet to another Rogers cable reseller (same 75/10 profile). Not even mentioning the name so I'm not called a shill or something.

Auto-magically Youtube steams at 55Mbit compared to 3Mbit just minutes before on Cannet (every night after 5pm).
Reddit content loads immediately. I always thought that the reason videos there never loaded properly because Reddit was shit.
Ping went down from low-30ms to low teens! Seriously, it's pinging right now in 9-12ms range.

So yeah, avoid Cannet. Either they are throttling, or have routers overloaded, I dunno. Don't care either.

I got same advertised speeds for 30bucks a month for 6 months and then it's like 45. I think it's 5 bucks more a month. I'm fine with that.
Jan 19, 2003
197 posts
30 upvotes
My two year promo pricing is up next month (75mbit) and I have been overall satisfied. Does anyone have any experience with retentions and extending the promo pricing?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1398 posts
283 upvotes
Burlington, ON
omeo wrote: My two year promo pricing is up next month (75mbit) and I have been overall satisfied. Does anyone have any experience with retentions and extending the promo pricing?
I've since switched to Virgin (last month), but when I was with Cannet and my promo period ended I called them and they extended for another year no problem.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Jan 19, 2003
197 posts
30 upvotes
flyboy320 wrote: I've since switched to Virgin (last month), but when I was with Cannet and my promo period ended I called them and they extended for another year no problem.
Thanks.. what are you getting with Virgin?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1398 posts
283 upvotes
Burlington, ON
omeo wrote: Thanks.. what are you getting with Virgin?
I was getting tired of the slow speeds with Cannet at peak times. I had them for three years and for the most part it was good, but starting around December it was getting real bad in the evening. I was paying for 120/10 and getting around 10/10 at peak times. With Virgin I'm paying for and getting at all times 100/10 for $35/month.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
2633 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
flyboy320 wrote: I was getting tired of the slow speeds with Cannet at peak times. I had them for three years and for the most part it was good, but starting around December it was getting real bad in the evening. I was paying for 120/10 and getting around 10/10 at peak times. With Virgin I'm paying for and getting at all times 100/10 for $35/month.
How did you get your virgin internet deal? TIA
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1398 posts
283 upvotes
Burlington, ON
willyxjai wrote: How did you get your virgin internet deal? TIA
I think it’s expired now, it was on just before Christmas.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
3352 posts
3404 upvotes
GTA
GroceryBagHead wrote: So, hey, a follow up. I switched from Cannet to another Rogers cable reseller (same 75/10 profile). Not even mentioning the name so I'm not called a shill or something.

Auto-magically Youtube steams at 55Mbit compared to 3Mbit just minutes before on Cannet (every night after 5pm).
Reddit content loads immediately. I always thought that the reason videos there never loaded properly because Reddit was shit.
Ping went down from low-30ms to low teens! Seriously, it's pinging right now in 9-12ms range.

So yeah, avoid Cannet. Either they are throttling, or have routers overloaded, I dunno. Don't care either.

I got same advertised speeds for 30bucks a month for 6 months and then it's like 45. I think it's 5 bucks more a month. I'm fine with that.
a regular price of $45 a month for a stable 75u sounds good to me--who's the ISP?
Oct 18, 2001
656 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Like many, my Cannet speeds have been stupid painfully slow.
Screenshot_2020-02-16_00-14-32.png
Clearly Cannet hasn't updated their FAQ:

Screenshot_2020-02-16_00-14-32.png
Images
  • Screenshot_2020-02-16_00-18-54.png
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
2107 posts
823 upvotes
London
Oh boy, I wish I listened to RFD.

My public mobile 3G plan is currently faster than my 300/20 plan on Cannet...

Going to switch off this soon. HIGHLY recommend those looking to use cannet to avoid.

They're throttling SO hard. I thought it was my router and wasted my time with that. Thought it was a connection setting or DNS... cause even loading web pages are slow. ONLY speedtest is fast. Torrents go at 1mbps, my public mobile does 12mbps on 4G and 3mbps on LTE lite.

How in the world is this slower than my throttled poorman's cell phone plan???
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3206 posts
1242 upvotes
datako wrote: Oh boy, I wish I listened to RFD.

My public mobile 3G plan is currently faster than my 300/20 plan on Cannet...

Going to switch off this soon. HIGHLY recommend those looking to use cannet to avoid.

They're throttling SO hard. I thought it was my router and wasted my time with that. Thought it was a connection setting or DNS... cause even loading web pages are slow. ONLY speedtest is fast. Torrents go at 1mbps, my public mobile does 12mbps on 4G and 3mbps on LTE lite.

How in the world is this slower than my throttled poorman's cell phone plan???
Here, let me simulate their "support":

*Loud background noises with a line that sounds like it's coming from an SCR-300 during WWII and cue virtually unintelligible Indian accent*

No sir we do not throttle.

Have you tried turning the modern of and on again?

Have you tried connecting to the modern directly? No? Must be you then. Our network is awesome so it has to be you

Ok fine, I'll tweak some settings here *presses random buttons on a keyboard to make typing sounds* - yes, ok, try it again sir but you might have to wait for 24 hours for the incredibly accurate settings I just tweaked to set in...
Oct 18, 2001
656 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
For giggles I have setup a speedtest(yes I know not the best since it seems like the numbers are always over inflated.) but it clearly shows slowdowns. I will have this run over the next few days to see what it shows. But here is a sample of a few hours.

2020-02-19 13_36_01-Home Assistant - Brave.png
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5081 posts
1965 upvotes
Carrytel just sent me price increase notice Smiling Face With Horns
Is it worth to switch to Canntel?

This email is a notification for the following price change that will be applied to your Carrytel service:
The current monthly fee of your plan Cable Internet 75M is $34.99. From Mar 27,2020, the service monthly fee will be $39.99.

As many of our loyal customers know, for the past few years we have never increased our price for existing customers, even though our costs have been increasing significantly. During these years, we never pushed these costs onto our customers.

These growing costs were not only caused by the increase in customer usage, but also by newer technologies, such as 4K streaming, and the increased popularity of video streaming services. This means more bandwidth and lower latency is required to provide each customer with fast and stable internet service. In order to meet these higher demands, we have made great financial investments and efforts to continuously upgrade and maintain our network equipment and infrastructures.

We believe our investments paid off, as we are ranked one of the fastest ISPs (https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-fastest- ... 019-canada) and best gaming ISPs (https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-best-gam ... anada-2019) for Canada in 2019 according to PC Magazine. All of our call center agents are hired carefully, trained thoroughly, and are working to their highest efficiency in Canada, to provide quality service in English, French, and Chinese.

We are hoping that you will understand why a small increase of $5 in your monthly fees will be effective Mar 27,2020. We believe this adjustment is reasonable, as our monthly fees will still be 30% lower than the average market price after this change. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we truly appreciate your continuous support. We promise to further improve and expand our services to reach new heights in the future.

For additional assistance in your services please contact our support department at 647-5604448, 514-7001283, 613-2094100

As always, thank you for using Carry Telecom

Carry Telecom Support Team