Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 75m $34.98, 150M $44.98, 300M $64.98

Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
924 posts
109 upvotes
arnycus wrote: What its expire date? Anytime?
There is no expiration date that I've been made aware of. When we have an end date in sight I will definitely update everyone on the thread.
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
924 posts
109 upvotes
MechanicalMan64 wrote: What's the difference between the Technicolor TC4350 modem vs. CDA3-35 modem?
They have very similar functionality; both are docsis 3.0 modems. However, they are produced by different vendors, We were primarily using the Hitron CDA3-20 previously, but some customers prefer the specs of the Technicolor TC4350, but ultimately should perform the necessary needs for your bandwidth.
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
BinaryEngineer wrote: I have been following the "canadian outage map" website and it seems that people have been reporting Rogers issues past 2 nights.
That site shows 14 reports per day out of millions of Rogers subscribers, equally posted btw 9am and 11pm. Most of them are about outages in certain areas or slow ping. Cannet connection is redirected from a closest to your home Rogers hub through Toronto Colocation Center to CIK Tel, so it doesn't use Rogers DNS servers and pipes, and if Rogers has issues down the line, it shouldn't affect most Cannet users. Also, all Cannet users report slow internet from 9pm, and most Rogers users who posted the reports on that site didn't mention slow internet at night, but lack of connection and bad pings.

Its possible that issues at Rogers affect Cannet users at the same locations. Also possible that small providers like Cannet are first to be dynamically downgraded each time Rogers has issues, since Rogers must prioritize their own customers and sales goals. However, slow speed at night reports of Cannet users are ongoing, its a typical problem, which points to insufficient bandwidth purchased by Cannet at prime time rates. They mostly buy bandwidth from backbone carriers at deeply discounted slow time rates.
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
924 posts
109 upvotes
Good morning RFD'ers! Recently we have received some investigation requests for slow speeds; we have analzyed the request and most of the problems have occured from running your speed test incorrectly.

Typically here are some of the reasons for tainted speed tests:

• Testing via Wi-Fi and running Youtube/Netflix at the same time;
• Running BT or Windows update on the backend when testing speed;
• Select remote test servers such as from US or west coast of Canada;

The correct way of testing speed are:
1) Connect to cable modem directly using wired cable;
2) Stop all download/upload software such as Video/windowsupdate/BT etc
3) Select Toronto server from Rogers or CIK
4) Using several different testing web to compare such as speedtest.net and fast.com.

I hope this problem alleviates some of the issues our customers are having; if not please contact me anytime and I will have our technicians and engineers diagnose the issue :)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3189 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto
I have done the above, and I still get the same issues at the exact time 9-10:30. After that, it works just fine.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2135 posts
1047 upvotes
Mississauga
CanNetRFD wrote: Good morning RFD'ers! Recently we have received some investigation requests for slow speeds; we have analzyed the request and most of the problems have occured from running your speed test incorrectly.

Typically here are some of the reasons for tainted speed tests:

• Testing via Wi-Fi and running Youtube/Netflix at the same time;
• Running BT or Windows update on the backend when testing speed;
• Select remote test servers such as from US or west coast of Canada;

The correct way of testing speed are:
1) Connect to cable modem directly using wired cable;
2) Stop all download/upload software such as Video/windowsupdate/BT etc
3) Select Toronto server from Rogers or CIK
4) Using several different testing web to compare such as speedtest.net and fast.com.

I hope this problem alleviates some of the issues our customers are having; if not please contact me anytime and I will have our technicians and engineers diagnose the issue :)
Joining this discussion after a long time. I agree with you on everything except the highlighted ones. Though testing speeds on a server in remote part of world will definitely not present a true picture, the ISP should still perform well on a server at a decent distance. Saying that you will get good speeds only on Toronto servers is being dishonest. Tomorrow another ISP might say that the right way to check speeds is only on LAN, and even a server 20KMs away is too far.

This is important because all the services that people use online do not have their servers located in Toronto. Most of them would be served by a server in US. And also a fact that other ISPs are able to perform a lot better with servers on west coast US. Internet speeds not only depend on physical distance, but also on routing algorithms, on how many hops does a packet has to take before it reaches you, etc. I bet the trace route for ISPs doing well with these servers would show much hop routing.

Having said all this, I cannot stress enough on the need to do all tests using Ethernet. Also multi threaded FTP and Torrents are much better ways to test how consistent speeds are.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2135 posts
1047 upvotes
Mississauga
Sepharite wrote: I have done the above, and I still get the same issues at the exact time 9-10:30. After that, it works just fine.
Yes, there is no denying there is rush hour congestion on CanNet. You just have to see how bad it is for you. I am on the 150/15 plan and even during peak hours, it is not too bad for me. The speeds sometimes drop to 60-70mbps, which is still sufficient for my needs. I am pretty happy and comfortable using CanNet for now, considering the price point. They are certainly not throttling. It's just congestion.
Sep 13, 2017
1 posts
Looks like a good deal. alot cheaper than current roger provider plan.
Sep 4, 2010
357 posts
122 upvotes
Brampton
Installed today. Needed new line from street, temporary, ground crew to come later to bury a properly rated cable. So far Cannet has been perfect, really great for a discount internet provider.

Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
100 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote: They are certainly not throttling. It's just congestion.
And you certainly know that. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And of course you know why Cannet lines are congested, while major providers lines are not at prime time? My cable internet sub with a major provider never shows signs of congestion - why in your view?
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
924 posts
109 upvotes
Sepharite wrote: I have done the above, and I still get the same issues at the exact time 9-10:30. After that, it works just fine.
PM your details, we'll get your issue sorted :)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2135 posts
1047 upvotes
Mississauga
sambul92 wrote: And you certainly know that. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And of course you know why Cannet lines are congested, while major providers lines are not at prime time? My cable internet sub with a major provider never shows signs of congestion - why in your view?
You could say CanNet are oversubscribed for the capacity they have. CanNet runs on Rogers cables, does not mean they have the entire Rogers bandwidth at their disposal. It's not too difficult to understand. I believe it's not throttling because the drops are not consistent, at least for me. Throttling would be if I could not go beyond 70mbps during 8-10PM at all, which is not the case. The speeds drop to 60-70, then go back to 100 just a minute of two later. Which explains there is only a finite bandwidth, which is being shared by too many. When I had Rogers a year back, I would sometimes get even 200mbps on a 100mbps plan, which is again simple to understand.

What happens to telephone networks on new year's eve, or just after a natural disaster like an earthquake is the perfect analogy to what is happening to CanNet during peak hours. Again how bad it is for you would depend on where you are located, and how many other CanNet subscribers are using the same pipe that you are connected to. That's how cable works, if everyone opens their taps, there is only that much water they would get. Guess there are not too many users in my area, so I still get 60-70mbps even as a worst case scenario.

Also, I always test my speeds over FTP downloads, which I do a lot, and sometimes on torrents. SpeedTest or SpeedOfMe are okay for casual tests, but I just don't find them reliable enough for sustained tests. If you still want to test speeds online, save a big file (5-10GB) on Google drive or download something big from Microsoft etc, and then observe what sustained speeds you get over 5-10 minutes.
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
924 posts
109 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote: You could say CanNet are oversubscribed for the capacity they have. CanNet runs on Rogers cables, does not mean they have the entire Rogers bandwidth at their disposal. It's not too difficult to understand. I believe it's not throttling because the drops are not consistent, at least for me. Throttling would be if I could not go beyond 70mbps during 8-10PM at all, which is not the case. The speeds drop to 60-70, then go back to 100 just a minute of two later. Which explains there is only a finite bandwidth, which is being shared by too many. When I had Rogers a year back, I would sometimes get even 200mbps on a 100mbps plan, which is again simple to understand.

What happens to telephone networks on new year's eve, or just after a natural disaster like an earthquake is the perfect analogy to what is happening to CanNet during peak hours. Again how bad it is for you would depend on where you are located, and how many other CanNet subscribers are using the same pipe that you are connected to. That's how cable works, if everyone opens their taps, there is only that much water they would get. Guess there are not too many users in my area, so I still get 60-70mbps even as a worst case scenario.

Also, I always test my speeds over FTP downloads, which I do a lot, and sometimes on torrents. SpeedTest or SpeedOfMe are okay for casual tests, but I just don't find them reliable enough for sustained tests. If you still want to test speeds online, save a big file (5-10GB) on Google drive or download something big from Microsoft etc, and then observe what sustained speeds you get over 5-10 minutes.
I can assure you that we have more than enough Capacity through all our networks and providers :)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2135 posts
1047 upvotes
Mississauga
CanNetRFD wrote: I can assure you that we have more than enough Capacity through all our networks and providers :)
Haha. I understand why you would say that, given the position you speak from. Then again, personally I am pretty satisfied with the service so far.
Dec 15, 2012
672 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
CanNetRFD wrote: I can assure you that we have more than enough Capacity through all our networks and providers :)
Lol no you don't.

Note the different dates these tests have been done.

There is an issue during prime time and you outright denying the issue is a major problem.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)