• Jun 14th, 2011 4:10 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 1, 2005
397 posts
45 upvotes
Montreal

Cannot return purchased beer?

I bought (24 x 355 mL cans) + (12 xc 355 mL cans) for a party just in case, but we didn't touch the 12 cans one, so I've decided to return it to IGA next day, but the cashier told me that I can only return purchased beer at the same moment when I buy it. She said it's a national law or politic...

Is that true or she's trying to dump me?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
jaysoulz wrote: I bought (24 x 355 mL cans) + (12 xc 355 mL cans) for a party just in case, but we didn't touch the 12 cans one, so I've decided to return it to IGA next day, but the cashier told me that I can only return purchased beer at the same moment when I buy it. She said it's a national law or politic...

Is that true or she's trying to dump me?

Depends on the jurisdiction. Having said that, retailers also have the right to set whatever return policies they wish, as long as they don't infringe upon consumer protection laws.
Banned
Jun 8, 2011
8 posts
scarborough
Sounds like she's the one who's had a little too much. Do a chargeback!
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
that_asian_girl wrote: Sounds like she's the one who's had a little too much. Do a chargeback!

On what grounds? A chargeback isn't for the purposes of arranging a refund when one otherwise can't be arranged. It's to protect the consumer against non-delivery of goods, or fraudulent transactions. In this case, neither apply.
Dec 20, 2010
288 posts
66 upvotes
You can never have too much beer, just keep it for the next time!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Its a store policy to protect consumers. If you forgot to bring the beer inside from a hot car for a few days and then returned the beer whoever purchased it next might get some bad tasting beer....at least that's how it was explained to me by a Metro store manager in Quebec last summer when I attempted to return 2 mini kegs of beer.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Why does everyone cry chargeback, a chargeback for this is just stupid...

Asian girl: do you even know what a chargeback is for?

Hint: someone already pointed it out
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
3345 posts
1680 upvotes
Lethbridge
We did this for a camping trip several years back – bought ~$200 worth of liquor & got rained out (well, snow in the mountains if we had actually gone, lol) – We figured we could probably use the couple hundred for something more “practical” than a fridge full of liquor, so I went to return it.

Originally I was told no over the phone, but after some chatting with the manager & explaining my case (keep in mind this is Alberta so everything is independently run), we were able to return all the hard liquor. I didn’t even try to the beer since I had broke most of it open, but in hindsight, I certainly wouldn’t want some guy’s returned beer that got left in his car all weekend (like the above poster already said).

I have had other buds stock up for parties and return everything not used, so it’s pretty much up to where you buy it in the end.

This thread does remind me I should probably take my empties in this weekend though – THANKS OP! lol
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Why return it? Never hurts to have extra beer in the house. You never know when someone may come over. I always have a few extra cases in the fridge, then you dont have to run out and get any when you need some
Nov 16, 2009
197 posts
13 upvotes
Ottawa
In Ontario the Beer Store allows returns, but I think you have to set it up in advance. i.e. you are having a wedding or some other big event and buy 20-30 cases and they agree to take back any unopened cases. Lots of people do it for Stag & Does, guarantees you won't run out, or be on the hook for 10 unopened cases.

Not sure if you can just return an average purchase of a case or 2.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
6412 posts
2625 upvotes
Mort Réal, QC
I've returned beer at an IGA in Montreal last December.
Just lettin' you know, either I got lucky or your location is full of it.
I told them the real reason, too: "Haven't used it yet and now it's much cheaper at Super C". They didn't care.
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
chargeback ???? for what ?

the OP has the beer, obviously it's a return policy issue so they can't chargeback. it's not like they were charged and never got the item and want a refund.

those people that cry "chargeback" over everything must be close to getting red flagged (no pun intended) by their CC company if they do a lot of chargebacks on everything they try and return.

in this case how would you justify it ? you have the beer in your possession and can't get a refund at the point of purchase, so you call your CC company and say i would like to reverse the charge !?!?! what are you going to do, send the CC company the beer ? because you can't keep it AND also have a refund too. let me guess, you would lie and say you gave them back the beer but for some reason the credit never shows on your statement so you would like a chargeback adjustment.

right off the hop that tells me you tend to do a lot of impulse buys then when you can't return it for whatever reason cry wolf to your CC company. you do know they can drop you and cancel your card if you abuse that privilege. it's there as one member already explained to protect the buyer in certain cases, NOT for buyers remorse.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
There is no grounds for a chargeback since you still have the item and there is no law saying that a company must offer a return policy so I suggest you keep the beer in a nice cold place for a couple of hours and then drink it. It might make you feel better about the situation.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
6412 posts
2625 upvotes
Mort Réal, QC
Oh and BTW IGA has a facebook page you could politely ask for someone to explain their return policy and explain your situation. Or they'll quickly delete your post. You'll then know for sure where they stand ;) From which point you can decide if you'll continue to give them your business.

They usually like to show great customer service and dislike bad press on FB.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9537 posts
3186 upvotes
Strikes me as weird to even attempt to return 12 beer. You can't be that hard up for ~$20 if you bought 36 in the first place. You obviously have a use for beer. Its one thing for a large event and you've got tons left over that you couldn't normally use, but 12? Stores aren't libraries offering free lending.
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini