• Jan 9th, 2008 3:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2005
1147 posts
337 upvotes

Canon 30D w/17-85mm IS Lens Kit

I am looking for a professional camera but don't want to spend too much. I can get this kit for $999.95 Brand New.

I beleive this is the only professional quality kit I can buy for under $1400.

Can anyone confirm this or make another suggestion before I place my order?

Thanks
23 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
The 30D was last generation, why not go with a 40D and 17-85mm kit? It's only a few hundred more... =P
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7776 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
My first suggestion is not to order unless you've already used the camera at a photography store and compared its feel and interface to atleast some of the competition (D80, K10D come to mind).

My second one is not to base your buying decision on a $100-$200 savings if there is another model for a few hundred dollars more you really want. If you are going to get into this hobby, you're just getting started and saving $100-$200 on the camera/lens kit vs getting something you really want is going to look like pocket change in a few years. Things like a tripod, prime and telephoto lenses, batteries, bags, filters, external flash etc etc are things you may want in the not too distant future as you delve into it.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2005
1147 posts
337 upvotes
CSAgent wrote: The 30D was last generation, why not go with a 40D and 17-85mm kit? It's only a few hundred more... =P
The best deal I can find on the 40D with the same lens is $1459 plus tax. So that would cost me an extra $476 or about 50% more. IMO not worth it.
Jun 20, 2007
73 posts
gman1975 wrote: I am looking for a professional camera but don't want to spend too much. I can get this kit for $999.95 Brand New.

I beleive this is the only professional quality kit I can buy for under $1400.

Can anyone confirm this or make another suggestion before I place my order?

Thanks
Reason for buying a 'professional' camera? keep in mind just cause you a pro camera (30D is actually a pro-sumer camera, not professional), it doesn't mean you will have professional looking photos. You can get pro-like photos with the most basic lens and camera if you know what you are doing and how to use your equipment to the best of it's ability. Camera is only a tool. What separates professionals photos from snapshots is everything that happens before and after the shot.

That being said, for under $1400, I would say your kit is a decent start. If I had it my way, I'd pick up a used XT for under $400 and dump the rest of my money on quality glass. (17-55 f/2.8 IS, 24-70 f/2.8 L, etc)
Jun 20, 2007
73 posts
gman1975 wrote: The best deal I can find on the 40D with the same lens is $1459 plus tax. So that would cost me an extra $476 or about 50% more. IMO not worth it.
Why is it not worth the money in your eyes? Have you read the spec difference? Upgrade in sensor and processing chip which includes higher buffer and highlight priority which is great for high contrast images. Other nice features include liveview, as well as 6.5fps. I don't think the 30D was a good release on Canon's part unless you really need spot metering. If you don't, look at the 20D, you'll save more money.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2005
1147 posts
337 upvotes
frogger wrote: My first suggestion is not to order unless you've already used the camera at a photography store and compared its feel and interface to atleast some of the competition (D80, K10D come to mind).

My second one is not to base your buying decision on a $100-$200 savings if there is another model for a few hundred dollars more you really want. If you are going to get into this hobby, you're just getting started and saving $100-$200 on the camera/lens kit vs getting something you really want is going to look like pocket change in a few years. Things like a tripod, prime and telephoto lenses, batteries, bags, filters, external flash etc etc are things you may want in the not too distant future as you delve into it.
Thanks. I don't mean that I am saving $250 0ver a camera I really want. I mean I am saving $250 by ordering through B&H. I have been to Henry's and tried all the cameras. I really liked the weight and feel of the K10D and the
30D/40D are very similar in weight. As for moving up to a better camera like a 40D that is $476 more this money could buy all the things you mentioned or a really nice piece of glass. I really don't think the 40D is all that much more advanced IMO. You get a little more resolution, live view and faster shooting, all of which I don't feel I need.

My budget is $1000 for now to get started and I understand I will need to spend more later. So with all this info is the 30D the only Professional quality kit you can buy for less than a grand?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2005
1147 posts
337 upvotes
itzjere wrote: Why is it not worth the money in your eyes? Have you read the spec difference? Upgrade in sensor and processing chip which includes higher buffer and highlight priority which is great for high contrast images. Other nice features include liveview, as well as 6.5fps. I don't think the 30D was a good release on Canon's part unless you really need spot metering. If you don't, look at the 20D, you'll save more money.
The 20D is not found new anymore. So have to get used which means shorter life, possible cleaning of the sensor and no warranty.
Jun 20, 2007
73 posts
Are you only willing to purchase from retail? Don't spend money on a 'professional' body.. spend money on professional glass. Glass is what makes the image, not the camera.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2005
1147 posts
337 upvotes
itzjere wrote: Reason for buying a 'professional' camera? keep in mind just cause you a pro camera (30D is actually a pro-sumer camera, not professional), it doesn't mean you will have professional looking photos. You can get pro-like photos with the most basic lens and camera if you know what you are doing and how to use your equipment to the best of it's ability. Camera is only a tool. What separates professionals photos from snapshots is everything that happens before and after the shot.

That being said, for under $1400, I would say your kit is a decent start. If I had it my way, I'd pick up a used XT for under $400 and dump the rest of my money on quality glass. (17-55 f/2.8 IS, 24-70 f/2.8 L, etc)
I also understand it is me that makes the most differance. That is why I have enrolled in night classes at the local college to try and embrace this hobby and give myself the best start possible.

I also want a camera that my wife can pick up and take nice photos with in auto mode if needed.
Jun 20, 2007
73 posts
gman1975 wrote: The 20D is not found new anymore. So have to get used which means shorter life, possible cleaning of the sensor and no warranty.
Shorter life depends on previous owner's shutter count, which unfortunately isn't available on non pro series bodies. Trust the seller I guess. Dust on sensors is honestly overrated by people who don't know how to take care of their gear. As for warranty, i guess it depends on each person.. but I have never needed to claim warranty on any of my Canon products
Jun 20, 2007
73 posts
gman1975 wrote: I also understand it is me that makes the most differance. That is why I have enrolled in night classes at the local college to try and embrace this hobby and give myself the best start possible.

I also want a camera that my wife can pick up and take nice photos with in auto mode if needed.
Classes are a good idea if you don't like to spend time and read websites and forums... it also helps to be surrounded by people who are willing to learn and learn from others for sure.

As for your wife picking up the camera and taking good pictures in auto, i'm afraid i don't think the pictures will be much better than your typical canon point and shoot. you might notice a difference, but i don't think you'll be happy that you spent $1400 for such a small difference
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2005
1147 posts
337 upvotes
itzjere wrote: Are you only willing to purchase from retail? Don't spend money on a 'professional' body.. spend money on professional glass. Glass is what makes the image, not the camera.
But buying a Rebel XT body is like buying cr$%. Have you held one? They are so small, light and cheap feeling. I can't stand anything less than a K10D which weighs about 740g. I like the feel of holding something substantial and quality when I shoot.
Jun 20, 2007
73 posts
gman1975 wrote: But buying a Rebel XT body is like buying cr$%. Have you held one? They are so small, light and cheap feeling. I can't stand anything less than a K10D which weighs about 740g. I like the feel of holding something substantial and quality when I shoot.
Yes, I started with an XT before I moved to a 20D. I agree with you that it does feel cheap, light and small. If you have big hands then I definitely would not suggest you to get such a small body unless you get a battery grip. Anyways, if you don't like how it feels in hand, then I understand how you feel. If you are comfortable with purchasing used products, a 20D is a value for the price. It will have the same quality and feel as the 30D and 40D. If you want substantial and quality, look into a 5D or 1D
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
A Rebel XT will be more than enough for your close up shots at work, you'll just need a macro lense. And its more than capable for your basic needs. Just because it is small does not mean it sucks, it's a great learner's camera and takes very decent shots. Like all of you are saying, its a tool - the photographer takes the photo.

Don't put down a camera just because it's at the bottom of a product line. If the Rebel series did not exist and the 20/30/40D was the bottom, would you guys be putting down the 30D/40D line too and tell him to spend $3500 on a 5D? I love how people like to say Rebel series sucks cuz of this and that when it's Canon's top seller line in the DSLR market. If it sucked so bad, people would not buy it, and it would go out of production indefinitely.
Jun 20, 2007
73 posts
I think you're getting close up shots mixed up with the other thread :razz:
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
itzjere wrote: I think you're getting close up shots mixed up with the other thread :razz:
Goddamnit you're right... LoL!

Well, my second paragraph still stands...

Rebel XT does a good job of taking photos anywhere too. There are other ways to meter than fully rely on the camera's internals, and lense plays a big factor too in the quality of your images. :)
Jun 20, 2007
73 posts
Agreed. Rebel XT is a very capable camera. Sure, it feels cheap and light, but with the money you save, you can spend it on glass. Auto mode results for your wife's usage will be the same on all bodies.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2005
1147 posts
337 upvotes
CSAgent wrote: Goddamnit you're right... LoL!

Well, my second paragraph still stands...

Rebel XT does a good job of taking photos anywhere too. There are other ways to meter than fully rely on the camera's internals, and lense plays a big factor too in the quality of your images. :)
Just for the record we didn't say the Rebel took bad pictures. I have large hands and like the feel of a heavy camera. So for me the Rebel doesn't work as it is too small, light and plastic feeling. Right now I shoot with a Sony F717 which for a P&S takes very nice photos, but it does have some weight too it.
Jun 20, 2007
73 posts
gman1975 wrote: Just for the record we didn't say the Rebel took bad pictures. I have large hands and like the feel of a heavy camera. So for me the Rebel doesn't work as it is too small, light and plastic feeling. Right now I shoot with a Sony F717 which for a P&S takes very nice photos, but it does have some weight too it.
If you're looking for a larger body, then 20/30/40D are good options. The differences between the 20D and 30D are small, but the 40D is a true upgrade compared to the 30D. It's just a question of if you will find these upgrades useful and what you are comfortable with in terms of price. If you're willing to buy a used 20D, you can save more money overall with the same lens (17-85) or with the remaining balance, you can get some really good glass. it's all up to you.