Art and Photography

Canon EFS 24mm F2.8 STM or Neewer 35mm F1.7 Manual Focus For Group Photos?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 9:40 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB

Canon EFS 24mm F2.8 STM or Neewer 35mm F1.7 Manual Focus For Group Photos?

So my Canon 50mm F1.8 STM is just too tight for group photos where I want to keep some blur of the background. Would a Canon EFS 24mm F2.8 STM be able to get the job done of fitting 4 or 5 people into a photo with the background blurred? Or would something like the Neewer 35mm F1.7 be better?

Keep in that the Neewer lens is manual focus only compared to autofocus for the Canon. I suspect that autofocus is a must have for apertures this low or I will never get good focus with people?

Or are the drawbacks of the above two pens big enough that a Canon EF-M 22mm F2.0 STM is the way better option. Also, how is it that the Canon EF-M lens retail price has went up over 50% above what it originally retailer for on Amazon just a few years ago?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1985 posts
528 upvotes
EFS and EFM lenses are not interchangeable, hopefully you already know this, but in your post it seems you may not; it's important nonetheless to make the distinction. The 35mm MF lens is only available in EFM option for Canon. But you mention previously the 24mm EFS. What camera do you have?

Groups shots need to be fast, forget manual lenses, get a AF 2.8 for the group shots, unless you're taking pictures in the middle of the night a 2.8 will be fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
I have the Canon M100 and I have a EF/EFS to EFM adapter so I can pretty much use any lens Canon makes.

Besides the Canon EFS 24mm and the EFM 22mm, are there any other good options that won't cost be an arm and a leg? I like the much faster aperture of the EFM lens but the current price for it is like twice that of the EFS.
Nov 4, 2016
850 posts
505 upvotes
Your 15-45mm kit lens is more than enough for a basic group shot. Set it to 15mm and move your tripod as close to the group as you can while capturing everyone. On a tripod you can afford a slow shutter speed, maybe 1/5 seconds.

You don't need bokeh for group shots.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
CCHIPSS wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 3:08 pm
Your 15-45mm kit lens is more than enough for a basic group shot. Set it to 15mm and move your tripod as close to the group as you can while capturing everyone. On a tripod you can afford a slow shutter speed, maybe 1/5 seconds.

You don't need bokeh for group shots.
But if there is no bokeh, it looks unprofessional, everything is too sharp for a group photo. Or do you have some example group photos to show otherwise?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1117 posts
745 upvotes
Montreal
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 4:36 pm
But if there is no bokeh, it looks unprofessional, everything is too sharp for a group photo. Or do you have some example group photos to show otherwise?
Don't give advice when you don't know what you're talking about. It is basic manners and respect.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2723 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
In a professional group shot, I would prefer to have everyone's face, nose, eyes in focus than to have bokeh (I use f/5.6 to f/8). And you should definitely not use a slow shutter speed as mentioned above as people's face will get blurry with their natural movements. You just need to find a clean uncluttered background and you will not need bokeh.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
aerok wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 1:30 pm
Don't give advice when you don't know what you're talking about. It is basic manners and respect.
Oh, geez, that's super helpful and answered my question. Not.

I found the answer I was looking for elsewhere on the Click Love Grow website:

https://clicklovegrow.com/how-to-select ... up-photos/

The solution to getting good bokeh in group photos while keeping every one sharp is to use a telephoto lens in the 100+ mm range with an aperture of around F5. See the last colored group photo in that link. That's what I'm looking for and I already have a telephoto lens. No unprofessional looking pin sharp backgrounds in group photos for me, thank you very much. And a wide angle fast lens would not be much use to me now that I know this so I'm not going to buy.

Now if only I didn't need to deal with the hassle of swapping lenses out and could have both a portrait and telephoto zoom mounted at the same time on my Canon. Just like what Android phones do. Would save so much time and not miss so many shots.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
ak-47 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 1:47 pm
In a professional group shot, I would prefer to have everyone's face, nose, eyes in focus than to have bokeh (I use f/5.6 to f/8). And you should definitely not use a slow shutter speed as mentioned above as people's face will get blurry with their natural movements. You just need to find a clean uncluttered background and you will not need bokeh.
Check that last photo in that Click Live Grow link above with the group photo with background bokeh. Doesn't that look so much more professional than a pin sharp background?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2723 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 2:17 pm
Check that last photo in that Click Live Grow link above with the group photo with background bokeh. Doesn't that look so much more professional than a pin sharp background?
Yes I am aware you can get bokeh with a telephoto. The reason why I didn't suggest this is because I thought you were constrained with space, and is why you were looking for a wider lens. Those type of shots would only work outdoors when space is not a concern. For some reason when you said professional group shot I thought it was in an indoor office/event type environment.

If those outdoor portrait shots are what you are looking for, then look no further than the 70-200mm f/4 (or f/2.8 if you can afford). Fantastic workhorse with accurate focus, colour, and bokeh.

Edit: Actually you did say 50mm is too tight.
So my Canon 50mm F1.8 STM is just too tight for group photos
If 50mm is too tight, how do you think you are gona be able to use a 100m+ lens???
Last edited by ak-47 on Jan 3rd, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1117 posts
745 upvotes
Montreal
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 2:17 pm
There is more to it than that. Judging from OPs post, he is shooting doors. In such a tight space, if he aims for a shallow depth of field, some of the subjects will also be blurred.

If the photo was outdoor with a telephoto lens (85mm to 200mm) and be far away enough than yes, we can shoot wide open to have more bokeh if the background is far away enough from our subjects.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
It would also be nice to get that background bokeh in a group photo at a dinner table with a fast wide angle lens instead of a portrait or telephoto lens. But how realistic is it to get good bokeh in a group photo with say a wide angle 22mm or 35mm lens? Because as the focal length goes down, we need a faster and faster lens in order to get bokeh.

Also, it looks like with a wide angle lens, we would distort the proportions of people in a non flattering manner compared to what a portrait or telephoto length lens does with compression of the background.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
ak-47 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 2:26 pm
Edit: Actually you did say 50mm is too tight.

If 50mm is too tight, how do you think you are gona be able to use a 100m+ lens???
The 50mm is too tight as in if I step back to get everyone in the picture, I lose the background bokeh because the relative distances are now too big. But with a telephoto I should be able to frame everyone and still get too bokeh and my telephoto can definitely do F5.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2723 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 2:40 pm
The 50mm is too tight as in if I step back to get everyone in the picture, I lose the background bokeh because the relative distances are now too big. But with a telephoto I should be able to frame everyone and still get too bokeh and my telephoto can definitely do F5.
It also depends on the distance between the subjects and the background. If you have the space, you can bring your subjects further away from the background and closer to you and still achieve background blur with the 50mm at F/2.8.
Jun 15, 2015
38 posts
16 upvotes
Winnipeg,MB
According to what you said,i think if you have chance take big group photography you must pick fisheye lens for big group photography?