Art and Photography

Canon EFS 24mm F2.8 STM or Neewer 35mm F1.7 Manual Focus For Group Photos?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 9:40 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
ak-47 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 3:10 pm
It also depends on the distance between the subjects and the background. If you have the space, you can bring your subjects further away from the background and closer to you and still achieve background blur with the 50mm at F/2.8.
But that's such a hassle. Why can't we have a 50mm lens that blurs the background when I'm 10 meters away? There has got to be some new innovation in lenses.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1117 posts
745 upvotes
Montreal
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 10:42 pm
But that's such a hassle. Why can't we have a 50mm lens that blurs the background when I'm 10 meters away? There has got to be some new innovation in lenses.
As explained to you many times, it is not due to lack of innovation in lenses. It is a matter of physics.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1985 posts
528 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 10:42 pm
Buy an iPhone and use the setting that creates fake bokeh, my wife has this and uses it all the time - someone mentioned laws of physics, which reminds me of the movie "My Cousin Vinny"

Gambini: Well perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove! Were these magic grits? I mean, did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
vodka wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 2:10 pm
Buy an iPhone and use the setting that creates fake bokeh,
But everyone here keeps saying how it is sooooo horrible to do that.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1985 posts
528 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:02 pm
Who cares - Are the photos good, are the people with whom you share them with appreciative of the memories and love the photos? If it's for friends/family/social media, trust me, noone cares that you used an iPhone.

On the other hand, are you looking to start making a living out of doing this? If so, you may want to rethink your strategy. In any case, if you have a good eye for pictures and know/learn how to frame properly, you can use whatever and get great shots - expensive cameras and lenses don't make you a great photographer.

Photography is a form of art, and regardless of the particularities of certain "best practices or rules" at the end a photo is subjective, so if your subjects are happy the equipment you used it not that relevant.
Don't overthink it.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1985 posts
528 upvotes
If you're still considering a lens, look at this, which is a great all around lens to have, great for indoor as well as outdoor - I'm currently keeping my eye out for a used one and I'll likely get rid of the kit 18-135mm STM lens when I get it.

https://estore.canon.ca/en-CA/catalog/l ... 242b002-24
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1148 posts
422 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:02 pm
haha but you keep asking for the impossible to be possible. You know, like Barney once said, possimpible.

Your criteria are: group shot from a table, so preferably 4-5 feet of depth of field (if you want to have people from both side of the table in focus), but once outside that zone, the bokeh must look like super compressed (done using big zoom lenses), but must be a wide angle AND made out of fast aperture like F2 or F2.8.
And you hate post editing and unnatural looking pictures.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4116 posts
1478 upvotes
Calgary
Gin Martini wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 8:48 pm
haha but you keep asking for the impossible to be possible. You know, like Barney once said, possimpible.

Your criteria are: group shot from a table, so preferably 4-5 feet of depth of field (if you want to have people from both side of the table in focus), but once outside that zone, the bokeh must look like super compressed (done using big zoom lenses), but must be a wide angle AND made out of fast aperture like F2 or F2.8.
And you hate post editing and unnatural looking pictures.
But the Huawei Mate Pro does it all, in a phone!!!11 Press a button and voila, fake bokeh, makes it professional. It has defeated the physics! Magical! You can even make everyone pretty with an extra button. If it's all done inside the phone, it's natural and certainly not post processed like those awful retouched Photoshop photos.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13073 posts
3711 upvotes
Toronto
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 4:36 pm
But if there is no bokeh, it looks unprofessional, everything is too sharp for a group photo. Or do you have some example group photos to show otherwise?
You don't need bokeh for the group shot and usually you want to use a smaller aperture / larger F stop value to get everyone's face in focus. Review basic photography skills.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1117 posts
745 upvotes
Montreal
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 11:42 am
Review basic photography skills.
You're asking too much from him Face With Tears Of Joy