Art and Photography

Canon EOS Rebel T100 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm/75-300mm Lenses - $399.99 (regularly $829.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2019 4:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
2875 posts
298 upvotes
North Etobicoke

Canon EOS Rebel T100 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm/75-300mm Lenses - $399.99 (regularly $829.99)

Can anyone provide their views on this camera. I know nothing about cameras but looking for something decent to take on vacations, take family photos and videos of grandkids. Looking like good value for money. Is it good value for a camera that I need.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1883 posts
828 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
The Canon Rebel T100 is the very lowest DSLR Canon makes. I'm assuming you saw this at Shoppers Drug Mart. You are way better getting the Canon M100 mirrorless that Shoppers was also selling for the same price during the previous December weeks and for way less if you collect PC Points on the 20x back days, which is effectively another 30% off.

The T100 doesn't have good autofocus, a flip screen or the advanced touch and super autofocus of the M100. The T100 is also way larger, heavier, and lower resolution. The M100 is superior in every way and there is no reason to consider the T100.

Although, a high end smartphone like the Google Pixel or Huawei P20 Pro is superior to a DSLR or mirrorless camera for the vast majority of photos.
Nov 4, 2016
724 posts
417 upvotes
Walmart has the T100 for $368. Maybe Best Buy will price match.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/canon-eos- ... hrelevance

However the T100 (or 4000D) is design with being cheap in mind. It isn't a good body. It doesn't even have touch screen, like the mirrorless M100 does.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/canon ... 00d-review

The only advantage it has is that it can use the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 lens right away, without an adapter. And you can buy that lens for $30 second handed. And the combo will be great for portrait photography.

I would only recommend the T100 if you want to be as cheap as possible on the body, so you can build you lens library. Lens are much more important than the body anyways. You will find that soon enough.

If you spent $3000 on a body today, expect it to resell for maybe $1000 in a few years. Body's resell value is minimal, while lens tend to retain their value. But if you only spent $368 on the body, who cares about reselling it. That is its advantage.

The Canon mirrorless has limit amount of native lens, so you must buy an adapter to use EF lens.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1883 posts
828 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
CCHIPSS wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 3:47 am
The only advantage it has is that it can use the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 lens right away, without an adapter. And you can buy that lens for $30 second handed. And the combo will be great for portrait photography.
Where would you get the 50mm F1.8 for $30.never seen then that cheap new or used. You must mean the cheap plastic versions that don't have any auto focus.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2384 posts
948 upvotes
GTA
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 12:07 am
The Canon Rebel T100 is the very lowest DSLR Canon makes. I'm assuming you saw this at Shoppers Drug Mart. You are way better getting the Canon M100 mirrorless that Shoppers was also selling for the same price during the previous December weeks and for way less if you collect PC Points on the 20x back days, which is effectively another 30% off.

The T100 doesn't have good autofocus, a flip screen or the advanced touch and super autofocus of the M100. The T100 is also way larger, heavier, and lower resolution. The M100 is superior in every way and there is no reason to consider the T100.

Although, a high end smartphone like the Google Pixel or Huawei P20 Pro is superior to a DSLR or mirrorless camera for the vast majority of photos.
You might want to mention that the M100 does not have a hot shoe or viewfinder which many people find to be important features. As far as your opinion that the recent smartphones are "better" than DSLRs or Mirrorless Cameras - well, to be kind, lets just say you've been reamed out pretty good in multiple threads for that opinion on multiple occasions. By saying "for the vast majority of photos" I presume you mean for photos that are never printed or viewed on screens larger than smartphone size.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Nov 4, 2016
724 posts
417 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 3:58 am
Where would you get the 50mm F1.8 for $30.never seen then that cheap new or used. You must mean the cheap plastic versions that don't have any auto focus.
If you are patient and are willing to wait, you will find it at that price on the second hand market. If not, pay the regular prices of $80-100.

The autofocus works just fine on mine. As for plastic, it is called Plastic Fantastic for a reason. You are probably that 1 person in a million that would make fun of the Nifty Fifty for its plastic. It is an awesome lens for the price and super lightweight to carry around when travelling. Good luck finding any other F1.8 lens that would even come close to dropping to $30.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1883 posts
828 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
CCHIPSS wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 1:24 pm
If you are patient and are willing to wait, you will find it at that price on the second hand market. If not, pay the regular prices of $80-100.

The autofocus works just fine on mine. As for plastic, it is called Plastic Fantastic for a reason. You are probably that 1 person in a million that would make fun of the Nifty Fifty for its plastic. It is an awesome lens for the price and super lightweight to carry around when travelling. Good luck finding any other F1.8 lens that would even come close to dropping to $30.
Send me a message if you see any that cheap. I've been watching the prices of them and have never seen one offered for $30.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1883 posts
828 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
bvit6667 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 6:51 am
You might want to mention that the M100 does not have a hot shoe or viewfinder which many people find to be important features. As far as your opinion that the recent smartphones are "better" than DSLRs or Mirrorless Cameras - well, to be kind, lets just say you've been reamed out pretty good in multiple threads for that opinion on multiple occasions. By saying "for the vast majority of photos" I presume you mean for photos that are never printed or viewed on screens larger than smartphone size.
He says he is taking family and vacation photos. A good smartphone would be way superior to any DSLR/mirrorless for his uses including for quality. He's not going to want to constantly be swapping out his 50 mm F1.8 for portraits and another for landscape, and another for telephoto. He will end up missing so many shots with a mirrorless/DSLR.

He's also not going to be able to tell a smartphone photo from a Sony A7r iii, except that his wallet will be a lot lighter with one of them. The only people who claim they can do that bring magnifying glasses to a photo gallery.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2384 posts
948 upvotes
GTA
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 2:02 pm
He says he is taking family and vacation photos. A good smartphone would be way superior to any DSLR/mirrorless for his uses including for quality. He's not going to want to constantly be swapping out his 50 mm F1.8 for portraits and another for landscape, and another for telephoto. He will end up missing so many shots with a mirrorless/DSLR.

He's also not going to be able to tell a smartphone photo from a Sony A7r iii, except that his wallet will be a lot lighter with one of them. The only people who claim they can do that bring magnifying glasses to a photo gallery.
Lol, sure thing Joe, whatever you say...
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Nov 4, 2016
724 posts
417 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 1:58 pm
Send me a message if you see any that cheap. I've been watching the prices of them and have never seen one offered for $30.
I don't live in AB. You will need to find one in your area. Rarely would a private seller ship.
Aug 1, 2010
950 posts
526 upvotes
Montreal
JoeStale wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 2:02 pm

When you have most people disagreeing with you in mutiple threads, it's about time to admit that you are just plain wrong

Oct 21, 2007
181 posts
28 upvotes
The T100 is one of Canon's newest stripped down entry level cameras. It is also sold as the 4000D and 3000D in different markets.

The 2000D/1500D/T7 is also very similar. There are some drawbacks to buying one of these cameras.

Both of these cameras are usually bundled with the EF-S 18-55mm III lens which has NO IMAGE STABILIZATION!

Both of these cameras have a hotshoe for an external flash BUT.... they have NO CENTER CONTACT SYNC which means they will only work with Canon brand EX flash units. 3rd party flash units like Yongnuo, Neewer, etc, will not work on either of these cameras.

They have NO EXTERNAL SPEAKER so you can not hear the audio if you play back a video. You must download the video to a computer or TV to hear the audio.