Art and Photography

Canon official announces the EOS R, what are your thoughts? Are you buying one?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 3:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2783 posts
381 upvotes
Vaughan

Canon official announces the EOS R, what are your thoughts? Are you buying one?

What do guys think of this camera from the specs so far?

Here's my opinion.

What i like:

-5655 focus points (100% horizontal coverage, 88% vertical coverage), that's insane.
- -6EV low light focus, pretty insane as well.

What i don't like

-Essentially weight and cost of everything, yeah you get what you pay for. I don't mind the higher prices, but weight is too much for my liking.
-$3000 cdn for body only
-$3900 cdn for 28-70 f2, weight 3.15lbs
-$3000 cdn for 50 f1.2, weight 2.09lbs.

I'm sure the photos that these lenses will produce are going to be amazing, however, for me. Too much weight.

No thanks Canon, I'll stick with Sony mirrorless.

fyi, prices are from canon.ca (at the present time I'm typing this), they are still updating their website.

Also I feel the same way about Sigma Art 1.4 lenses that were made for FE sony mount, just way too heavy.
35 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4032 posts
474 upvotes
specs don't matter
what's most important is all top 3 brands are finally in the game and in the 21st century...sans mirror is the de facto future despite naysayers like craftsman

the original a7 was far from a home run...and it's almost 2500 in today's money
too early to tell but Canon's new system so far looks similar to that...and they have too much to lose just dropping all DSLR efforts at a snap of a finger

meanwhile Nikon's Z actually looks like full steam ahead...similar to what the a6000/a7 ii/a7 iii did for the market

in a year or two Nikon could really be nipping right at the heel's of Sony's flagship assuming a steady buildup of lens arsenal
and Panny GH/Fuji X/Sony NEX might dwindle to the smallest of niche circles like the current MFT

I have not studied the different flange distance of the new systems but me thinks the opportunity for good AF performance from adapting a wide-range of glass just had its flood gates open

and hopefully this means no more aggressive price hikes from $ony and bringing G-Master's astronomical price tags down, now there are probably gonna be direct L glass equivalents and Nikon's with f0.95
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1509 posts
295 upvotes
Mississauga
what’s good?

30mp 5d iv sensor
eye af
dpaf in 4k
c-log
vari angle lcd
adapter allows for the use of drop-in filters
full compatibility with EF glasses

what’s bad?

no ibis
1.7x crop in 4k
no gps
no EF mount, need adapters
price
single card slot

overall this looks like a great camera. looking forward to seeing hands-ons reviews. I’m considering getting a A7R3, but the main concern for me is full EF compability. replacing all my EF glasses with native G master is cost prohibitive.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1059 posts
90 upvotes
canon dslr shooter here... never felt an urge to move to mirrorless but the EOS R kinda piqued my interest a bit... Looks like it's not as great as I thought it would be so my question now is... Seeing as I'd need to get an adapter for my EF glass anyway, would a Canon made adapter for RF to EF (EOS R w/ EF lenses, I mean) be any better than using an adapter to get my EF glass onto an A7II, etc?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1026 posts
315 upvotes
I like their amazing autofocus capabilities (Eye AF, -6 EV, 5k+ points and 0.05s autofocus with their new F4 lens) on paper.

Canon' sensors, from recent years, are not as good as Sony's and Nikon's, so we'll have to see if they did something better here.

I agree with what phuviano said about the weight and size for that matter. I personally prefer small and light lenses by sacrificing a bit of F stop and a bit of sharpness.
Aug 1, 2010
921 posts
496 upvotes
Montreal
malaujai wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 8:45 am
canon dslr shooter here... never felt an urge to move to mirrorless but the EOS R kinda piqued my interest a bit... Looks like it's not as great as I thought it would be so my question now is... Seeing as I'd need to get an adapter for my EF glass anyway, would a Canon made adapter for RF to EF (EOS R w/ EF lenses, I mean) be any better than using an adapter to get my EF glass onto an A7II, etc?
Yes, continuous AF is not not supported by adapters on Sony bodies.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1509 posts
295 upvotes
Mississauga
malaujai wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 8:45 am
Seeing as I'd need to get an adapter for my EF glass anyway, would a Canon made adapter for RF to EF (EOS R w/ EF lenses, I mean) be any better than using an adapter to get my EF glass onto an A7II, etc?
Canon EF-RF adapter is a dumb adapter with all the electrical contacts. EOS-R body understands the EF protocol natively, so no loss in AF performance.

EF to Sony adapter, e.g. Metabone, is essentially a reverse-engineered adapter translating between EF and E-mount protocols. not all lenses/features are guaranteed to work. and they are not as efficient in AF performance as a native lens.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1059 posts
90 upvotes
Thanks for the replies... Did a bit of googling on my own and there seem to be some thoughts from Sony users (maybe fanboys though lol) that some lenses work better on the Sony bodies? I've seen some comments that the 85LII actually performs better on the A7's lol
Aug 1, 2010
921 posts
496 upvotes
Montreal
malaujai wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 1:29 pm
Thanks for the replies... Did a bit of googling on my own and there seem to be some thoughts from Sony users (maybe fanboys though lol) that some lenses work better on the Sony bodies? I've seen some comments that the 85LII actually performs better on the A7's lol
HAHA people can be such idiots.

It is true that sharpness seems better when adapted to Sony due to the lack of AA filter and higher resolution but it is impossible for the AF to be better when adapted.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1059 posts
90 upvotes
This kinda sucks cause I don't wanna get rid of my Canon glass but the EOS R seems a bit underwhelming, especially on the video end and even moreso for the cost
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4032 posts
474 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 10:51 am

I agree with what phuviano said about the weight and size for that matter. I personally prefer small and light lenses by sacrificing a bit of F stop and a bit of sharpness.
that argument works for crop bodies and the smaller lenses that come with it
the majority of the FE lenses are not drastically smaller than DSLR lenses so ergonomically on a relativley compact a7 body the setup can feel front heavy
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1026 posts
315 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 3:30 pm
that argument works for crop bodies and the smaller lenses that come with it
the majority of the FE lenses are not drastically smaller than DSLR lenses so ergonomically on a relativley compact a7 body the setup can feel front heavy
True that. It's physic, we can't change that.

What I meant is the Canon's R lenses are their premium high end fast lenses and I'll prefer to have options for some smaller, less fast lenses, in that same mount for the same camera. A good exemple is I'll prefer to use Sony's 85mm F1.8 than their huge & heavy 85mm F1.4 G master lens.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4032 posts
474 upvotes
unfair to compare gen 1 to an established system that's become synonymous with the mirrorless technology

don't forget Sony also launched with only a handful of premium glass too
you had to be very patient as they didn't come out with the affordable lenses until 4 years in
Russell wrote:

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7374 posts
1326 upvotes

It looks pretty continuous to me and the AF preformance is so fast that even with the adapter, a lot of people wouldn’t notice if it was native or not.
aerok wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 12:49 pm

Yes, continuous AF is not not supported by adapters on Sony bodies.
aximrocks wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 1:26 pm
Canon EF-RF adapter is a dumb adapter with all the electrical contacts. EOS-R body understands the EF protocol natively, so no loss in AF performance.

EF to Sony adapter, e.g. Metabone, is essentially a reverse-engineered adapter translating between EF and E-mount protocols. not all lenses/features are guaranteed to work. and they are not as efficient in AF performance as a native lens.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4069 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
hdom wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 2:55 am

It looks pretty continuous to me and the AF preformance is so fast that even with the adapter, a lot of people wouldn’t notice if it was native or not.
Do you have a Sony Mark 3 body?

I have used it and the autofocus will hunt for focus as opposed to native.

It wouldn't matter for the average hobbyist, but it would matter for the professional.

You don't want to be hunting for focus in low light.