Art and Photography

Canon official announces the EOS R, what are your thoughts? Are you buying one?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 3:09 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1050 posts
83 upvotes
As someone who's on the fence about moving to Sony with Canon lenses this ping ponging of "it works great/it sucks" is really killing me LOL
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1508 posts
295 upvotes
Mississauga
hdom wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 2:55 am

It looks pretty continuous to me and the AF preformance is so fast that even with the adapter, a lot of people wouldn’t notice if it was native or not.
it really depends on the lens, body and adapter used. it might work well for this particular combination. what if you try it on a different body, 3rd party lens, a different adapter e.g. mc11? there is no guaranteed it'll work.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7369 posts
1322 upvotes
Could be the adapter, try to get a better one or update the firmware in those, perhaps.
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 10:01 am

Do you have a Sony Mark 3 body?

I have used it and the autofocus will hunt for focus as opposed to native.

It wouldn't matter for the average hobbyist, but it would matter for the professional.

You don't want to be hunting for focus in low light.
Well I read a report of someone having issues with Nikon Z adapters with Nikon F mount lens but it could be the preproduction model causing it. However, same type of issues could happen on Canon as well, for all we know now.

Is a risk that comes with all adapters, just need to do more reading and testing before going out to buy / shot. Otherwise stick to native.
aximrocks wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 10:35 am
it really depends on the lens, body and adapter used. it might work well for this particular combination. what if you try it on a different body, 3rd party lens, a different adapter e.g. mc11? there is no guaranteed it'll work.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4012 posts
1026 upvotes
Toronto
malaujai wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 10:30 am
As someone who's on the fence about moving to Sony with Canon lenses this ping ponging of "it works great/it sucks" is really killing me LOL
If you're a hobbyists its fine to move and stick with the Canon lenses and adapt them.

But if you are a professional or autofocus working as its intended to be, I would sell your Canon lenses and then move to Sony.

Also depends on much glass you have wth Canon.
Aug 1, 2010
915 posts
487 upvotes
Montreal
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 1:28 pm
If you're a hobbyists its fine to move and stick with the Canon lenses and adapt them.

But if you are a professional or autofocus working as its intended to be, I would sell your Canon lenses and then move to Sony.

Sony lenses are so $$$$ and nothing beats the resale value of EF
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4012 posts
1026 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 2:10 pm
Sony lenses are so $$$$ and nothing beats the resale value of EF
Maybe, if resale value of the lenses are under 2K.

It took me three months to move a Canon 16-35 f/2.8 Mark 3. Barely used and came with Canon accidental coverage. I priced it fairly, and finally got a guy that bought it for his video production company that uses C200s.

Sony lenses cost more but they are better than Canon versions.

The 16-35 GM is lighter and sharper than the Canon 16-35 Mark 3 f/2.8.
The 24-70 GM is on par/slightly better than the Canon 24-70 Mark 2.
The 70-200 GM is sharper than the Canon 70-200 Mark 2, what was updated to the Mark 3, with the same internals. And the Mark 3 still doesn't allow you to just slip the tripod foot off the ring like Sony does with their lenses.

And let's not forget the very useful focus hold button on each of the G and GM lenses that can be remapped.

The only thing Canon has going for it are their rebates on their lenses but that program isn't offered in Canada and the US offers now require two or more lens purchase to qualify for a rebate.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1050 posts
83 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 1:28 pm

I'm actually a hobbyist but have been for a while and never really hopped onto the mirrorless train with tunnel vision for DSLRs... I've got a a few L primes that I would prospectively consolidate down to maybe 2-3 Zeiss lenses I suppose?

The current plan in my head is to get the A7III and metabones adapter and then see if I can ween myself off the 5D3 that I shoot with normally. I have a feeling the A7III + MB may still perform better generally speaking than a 5D3...
Aug 1, 2010
915 posts
487 upvotes
Montreal
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 2:42 pm
Maybe, if resale value of the lenses are under 2K.

It took me three months to move a Canon 16-35 f/2.8 Mark 3. Barely used and came with Canon accidental coverage. I priced it fairly, and finally got a guy that bought it for his video production company that uses C200s.

Sony lenses cost more but they are better than Canon versions.

The 16-35 GM is lighter and sharper than the Canon 16-35 Mark 3 f/2.8.
The 24-70 GM is on par/slightly better than the Canon 24-70 Mark 2.
The 70-200 GM is sharper than the Canon 70-200 Mark 2, what was updated to the Mark 3, with the same internals. And the Mark 3 still doesn't allow you to just slip the tripod foot off the ring like Sony does with their lenses.

And let's not forget the very useful focus hold button on each of the G and GM lenses that can be remapped.

The only thing Canon has going for it are their rebates on their lenses but that program isn't offered in Canada and the US offers now require two or more lens purchase to qualify for a rebate.
You must be unlucky, never had trouble selling used EF lenses, even when some of them were abused lol
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4012 posts
1026 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 3:05 pm
You must be unlucky, never had trouble selling used EF lenses, even when some of them were abused lol
It's not about luck.

I've easily sold EF and EFS lenses that were under 2K. Once you start listing lenses that sit above that bracket, you aren't going to get a lot of offers at your price, well, a lot of lowballers. Unless it's niche like tilt-shift or super telephoto it's not going to sell locally right away.

Most people aren't going to pay up for the 16-35 Mark 3 when the 16-35 Mark 2 is still available. But the Mark 3 improved on the Mark 2 by quite a bit; it didn't have an extending barrel and used the larger 82mm the 24-70 Mark 2 uses.

This is based on Kijiji and RFD.

It's easier to sell lenses using other sites for the price you want, but it takes more time and effort.

The allure to Canon is that they make great lenses but also affordable lenses, so it's a very saturated used market with deals for buyers.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4012 posts
1026 upvotes
Toronto
malaujai wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 2:57 pm
I'm actually a hobbyist but have been for a while and never really hopped onto the mirrorless train with tunnel vision for DSLRs... I've got a a few L primes that I would prospectively consolidate down to maybe 2-3 Zeiss lenses I suppose?

The current plan in my head is to get the A7III and metabones adapter and then see if I can ween myself off the 5D3 that I shoot with normally. I have a feeling the A7III + MB may still perform better generally speaking than a 5D3...
That combo will excel the 5D3 but it will also be heavier than a traditional Sony + native lens (Sony, Zeiss).

Not sure what Canon is smoking with the EOS R line. The bodies are lighter but larger than Sony and the R lenses are even heavier.
50mmS-C.jpg
zoommm-2-S-C.jpg
zoommmS-C.jpg
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4012 posts
1026 upvotes
Toronto
malaujai wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 4:09 pm
95mm filter thread... Face With Tears Of Joy
Yup, even more expensive ND and Polarizer filters....
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10984 posts
5160 upvotes
Southern Ontario
No trouble selling EF lenses, got rid of a bunch last couple of years, just have to be patient refreshing the ad. Always sold near what I bought, little loss, or profit as I bought almost all used to begin with. What I have left are 16-35 f/2.8II, 50 f/1.2, and 70-200 f/2.8II. One more summer wedding this Saturday, might be interested in the new EOS R body and 28-70 f/2. Sticking with Canon here for familiarity and muscle memory, I don't bird/sport. That said, new gear won't improve my images anyway.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4029 posts
474 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 4:03 pm
The bodies are lighter but larger than Sony and the R lenses are even heavier.
better grip?

remember most Sony mirrorless until 2015 had very shallow grips, making it difficult to handle with a medium/large lens.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.