Art and Photography

Canon Rebel XS announced (XTI replacement)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2008 8:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2001 posts
200 upvotes

Canon Rebel XS announced (XTI replacement)

They say it should be $200 less than the XSI. Updated: It's $700 USD with 15-55MM IS kit lens.

Brief summary:
http://gizmodo.com/395422/canon-eos-dig ... ious-noobs

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/conten ... -9311-9466

Detailed Preview
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon_1000D/

40D vs 450D (Xsi) vs 1000D (XS)
Audio & HT Enthusiast :cheesygri
Bose Secrets: Click HERE! :o
Zoom-Zoom! (MX-5 FTW!) :D
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
I started using the Mr. Sparkle avatar first! Others stole it from me. :lol:
19 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2500 posts
100 upvotes
seems like a good alternative to the XSi. all the features/upgrades are there except the MPs. and im guessing that the battery will last longer since the screen is smaller.

so with this coming out, i'm guessing the price won't be dropping on the XSi.

so chosing between the two, which one would people recommend?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
1999 posts
440 upvotes
Does this mean they're discontinuing the XT? Hopefully it'll make the XT THE most affordable entry level DSLR.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2001 posts
200 upvotes
Goonish wrote:
Jun 12th, 2008 1:36 am
Does this mean they're discontinuing the XT? Hopefully it'll make the XT THE most affordable entry level DSLR.

I would say yes. When the XSI came out, it pushed the XTI into the XT's entry level spot and they mentioned the XT would be no longer made. Now the XS will be their new entry level and the XTI will be discontued.

I'm personally going to wait for the reviews. The main thing for me is the 14bit versus 12bit sensor, larger LCD screen & magnification on optical viewer, 7instead of 9 autofocus points. (XS versus Xsi)
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2003
3198 posts
61 upvotes
Kitchener - Waterloo
The XS? WTF? I thought the XSi was the replacement - if not - then where does the XSi stands? Is Canon trying to create a new set of users...

The newbies with XT, XTi, XS
The a little more than newbies XSi
People with some dSLR experience with 40D
etc

Canon seems to downgrade - the already so-so XSi camera (performance wise; image wise it is good) - but the key with all cameras is AF (Autofocus), ISO noise. XS has less focus points - ie. will hunt more thus decreasing the % of keeper pictures. Just a step backwards IMO.

The XSi should be the level entry camera for dSLR for Canon.

I am puzzled with this camera - it looks small, and very cheap! How much? I would not pay more than $500 for such a camera... even less...
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12055 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
George W. Bush wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 9:17 am
The XSi should be the level entry camera for dSLR for Canon.
Why? The XSi is currently priced over $900. It is moving upmarket. Feature-for-feature, it competes with the 40D on many fronts. Cameras like the Nikon D40 and Sony A200 (arguably the better value) are often seen for under $500. What could they have done with the entry level market? They could've left the XTi around, but people want live view (I personally don't care for it). Add live view but take out some other stuff to keep profit margins up, and out comes the Rebel XS.

Also, I only use the centre AF point anyway (in most situations)... the D300 has 51 AF points, I'd still use only one :D
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2003
3198 posts
61 upvotes
Kitchener - Waterloo
The XSi is too expensive for $900 without taxes in Canada. It does NOT compete with the 40D performance wise - the only thing going for it is perhaps a better live view (if you use it) and that is about it - and even this has a 2-3 second delay.

They both use 14 bit.

The buffer for XSi is much smaller, more noise to the images, slower than 40D. The 40D is beyond the XSi feature wise as well as ergonomically. They are different classes of cameras.

The XSi does not compete with the 40D at all, they are in two different classes altogether. The XSi should be priced at about $700 when you compare it with the competition out there... just because the XSi is closer in price with the 40D (which is a deal these days at $1150 CDN), does not mean that they are similar.

Canon knows how to milk and trick customers in getting something expensive. For $900 you can get nicer and more capable cameras than the XSi. Have a look at Pentax cameras for example. People paying $900 is stupid. $700 at best I would say. $1000 or so is acceptable for the 40D. The XS should be no more than $500 at the specs. Otherwise, go and spend $300 for a nice point and shoot and you will get similar images at ISO 100 in daylight as dSLR.

Image quality all dSLR are about the same. It is the specs and the capabilities of the camera once you start shooting that makes the difference.

Can you please indicate me what "feature to feature" are you thinking about when comparing XSi vs. 40D? Have a look at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp and check out the technical specs. ;)

+ I hate the SD cards! :) My personal inclination is toward CF cards - faster, more robust, less prone to losing them, etc... The girls may like the 1000D (XS) or the 450D (XSi) family of dSLR as I think this is the intended market.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12055 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
George W. Bush wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 11:19 am
The XSi is too expensive for $900 without taxes in Canada. It does NOT compete with the 40D performance wise - the only thing going for it is perhaps a better live view (if you use it) and that is about it - and even this has a 2-3 second delay.

They both use 14 bit.

The buffer for XSi is much smaller, more noise to the images, slower than 40D. The 40D is beyond the XSi feature wise as well as ergonomically. They are different classes of cameras.

The XSi does not compete with the 40D at all, they are in two different classes altogether. The XSi should be priced at about $700 when you compare it with the competition out there... just because the XSi is closer in price with the 40D (which is a deal these days at $1150 CDN), does not mean that they are similar.

Canon knows how to milk and trick customers in getting something expensive. For $900 you can get nicer and more capable cameras than the XSi. Have a look at Pentax cameras for example. People paying $900 is stupid. $700 at best I would say. $1000 or so is acceptable for the 40D. The XS should be no more than $500 at the specs. Otherwise, go and spend $300 for a nice point and shoot and you will get similar images at ISO 100 in daylight as dSLR.

Image quality all dSLR are about the same. It is the specs and the capabilities of the camera once you start shooting that makes the difference.

Can you please indicate me what "feature to feature" are you thinking about when comparing XSi vs. 40D? Have a look at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp and check out the technical specs. ;)

+ I hate the SD cards! :) My personal inclination is toward CF cards - faster, more robust, less prone to losing them, etc... The girls may like the 1000D (XS) or the 450D (XSi) family of dSLR as I think this is the intended market.
Which is why I said many. I do fully realize the 40D is a much tougher and a much faster machine than the XSi. But when the "entry-level" XSi gets things like spot metering, the same 3" screen, almost-comparable AF, switchable noise reduction, highlight tone priority... (the list goes on), the XSi gets a little closer to its prosumer brother.

The build is still lousy (and ergonomics even lousier) and 12mp will certainly be noisier (denser pixels), but these are mostly carried over. The 30D had less pixels compared to the XTi, and this is just a continuation of that tradition.

Compactflash and bent pins. I've seen it happen.
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2003
3198 posts
61 upvotes
Kitchener - Waterloo
I have been using CF cards for more than 3 years now and never had a problem with bent pins. They fit in only one way inside the slot. If you try to push it inside and it does not go with a touch of the finger, you are inserting it wrong. :lol:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2001 posts
200 upvotes
On a side note, I went to Bestbuy yesterday to do some window shopping and feel these digicams in my hands. First was the XTi and the grip is terribly cramped and seems too short. Your bottom pinky and ring finger are hanging off the bottom of the camera. Next was the XSI which was much better. It was slightly longer and the shutter button is at a 45 degree angle instead of horizontal like the Xti would makes a huge difference on your hand layout. Lastly was the 40D..man this was a tank with a huge grip. I like the feel and grip but it's a little too heavy/big for me to carry around as a first DSLR. I think an XSI is a good fit for me and my smallish asian hands. ;)

Many say that the 40D isn't much more than an XSi with kit lens and this isn't the case in Canada. An XSi with kit lense is about $900-1000 and a 40D with kit lense is about $1400-1600. (about a $500 difference..that's not close at all) :confused:
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12055 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
George W. Bush wrote:
Jun 15th, 2008 1:22 pm
I have been using CF cards for more than 3 years now and never had a problem with bent pins. They fit in only one way inside the slot. If you try to push it inside and it does not go with a touch of the finger, you are inserting it wrong. :lol:
I've seen people insert CF cards into their cameras sideways. The card will fit in the slot and if you push hard enough, you'll do some damage.
Deal with it.
May 8, 2004
959 posts
2 upvotes
soupnazi wrote:
Jun 17th, 2008 2:34 pm
On a side note, I went to Bestbuy yesterday to do some window shopping and feel these digicams in my hands. First was the XTi and the grip is terribly cramped and seems too short. Your bottom pinky and ring finger are hanging off the bottom of the camera. Next was the XSI which was much better. It was slightly longer and the shutter button is at a 45 degree angle instead of horizontal like the Xti would makes a huge difference on your hand layout. Lastly was the 40D..man this was a tank with a huge grip. I like the feel and grip but it's a little too heavy/big for me to carry around as a first DSLR. I think an XSI is a good fit for me and my smallish asian hands. ;)

Many say that the 40D isn't much more than an XSi with kit lens and this isn't the case in Canada. An XSi with kit lense is about $900-1000 and a 40D with kit lense is about $1400-1600. (about a $500 difference..that's not close at all) :confused:
i'm in the same boat right now - deciding between the 40d & the xsi. i'd prefer the 40d over the xsi but it is quite a bit heavier (260 g). i've purchased both cameras and am extensively testing both. i do like the 40d much more though.

and you can't compare the kit lens on the xsi with the 40d. the xsi has a 18-55mm is lens. the 40d has the 17-85 mm is lens, which is a metal frame.

comparing the xsi with 17-85mm to the 40d with 17-85mm is when the price gets really close, especially with the rebate right now from canon.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12055 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
Col127 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2008 9:17 am
and you can't compare the kit lens on the xsi with the 40d. the xsi has a 18-55mm is lens. the 40d has the 17-85 mm is lens, which is a metal frame.
Physically, the 17-85IS is indeed built better. Optically, it is actually slower than the kit lens, which supposedly is fairly sharp too.
Deal with it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2001 posts
200 upvotes
Col127 wrote:
i'm in the same boat right now - deciding between the 40d & the xsi. i'd prefer the 40d over the xsi but it is quite a bit heavier (260 g). i've purchased both cameras and am extensively testing both. i do like the 40d much more though.

comparing the xsi with 17-85mm to the 40d with 17-85mm is when the price gets really close, especially with the rebate right now from canon.
Cool. Please let me know how it goes and what you decide. I'd do the same but futureshop wouldn't be too pleased since I've returned alot of things there. :cheesygri

One thing I look out for on the XSI is more out of focus shots which a few people are experiencing on Dpreview forums & on this review.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon ... ndex.shtml
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
Jun 2, 2007
12 posts
montreal
Col127 wrote:

The prices are not 'really' close. It's when you compare the xsi to the 40d w/ 28-135mm that the price gets close.
What's the best price you have for the 40d+18-55mm ?