Art and Photography

Canon Rebel XS announced (XTI replacement)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2008 8:16 pm
Tags:
None
May 8, 2004
959 posts
2 upvotes
i can get the 40d with 17-85mm is for $1494.99CDN after taxes. the xsi with 17-85mm lens is $1446.39 after taxes. :)

it's cuz of the great rebates from canon.
May 8, 2004
959 posts
2 upvotes
i'm leaning towards the 40d. i find the AF is much faster. IQ between the two cameras are virtually identical.

the only thing keeping me from the 40d is weight :)
soupnazi wrote:
Jul 9th, 2008 12:50 pm
Cool. Please let me know how it goes and what you decide. I'd do the same but futureshop wouldn't be too pleased since I've returned alot of things there. :cheesygri

One thing I look out for on the XSI is more out of focus shots which a few people are experiencing on Dpreview forums & on this review.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon ... ndex.shtml
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2001 posts
200 upvotes
Thanks Col127. I'm sure you'll love the 40D for years to come. Yup, it's huge and heavy which can be a good/bad thing. :)

That's a pretty good deal on the 40D. Do you mind if I ask what store and what rebates you're using? I've checked www.photoprice.ca and the rebate is only $100 in Canada and it isn't valid at brick stores like FS/BB. The 17-85mm kit lens combo is much more than the 28-135mm combo. $1494.99CDN with taxes included is pretty good!

Oh, one more quick question. I've seen some XSI reviews say that the camera tends to overexpose a little at default settings. (default 0 exposure compensation) Eg. blown out skies. Do you notice this on the Xsi and the 40D?
Audio & HT Enthusiast :cheesygri
Bose Secrets: Click HERE! :o
Zoom-Zoom! (MX-5 FTW!) :D
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
I started using the Mr. Sparkle avatar first! Others stole it from me. :lol:
Sep 30, 2001
27600 posts
6715 upvotes
Toronto
i'm looking for a new dslr myself. what are people's thoughts on the XSi that is on sale at BB? (roughly $844 for the Kit plus grip and extra battery after I use some gift cards).

Worth it or should I save for something else? I like the 40d but the weight might be too annoying to deal with on trips (or is it wash once i factor in the weight of the grip?)

This will most likely be the only dslr i buy for a good long time and i plan to use it for most general purpose settings (family pictures, landscapes that sort of thing).

All opinions are welcome. Thank you
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2001 posts
200 upvotes
I bit on this BB deal since the 40D would cost at least $1500 without taxes. My XSI was about $1000 after tax with free kit.

I've been using my new XSI for a couple of days. I really like the rapid fire 3.5FPS, image quality, high iso quality, and the easy access to the manual controls. Minor negatives: It takes a little getting used to since it's bulkier and you can't just whip it out of the case and quickly shoot like a point and shoot. (you have to have the lens cover off and it around your neck to do this) As expected the screen easily gets smudged from your nose when you put your eye up to the eye piece. So far I really like it but it is inconvient to carry arround and it isn't very discreet when taking pictures. ;) The default grip is perfect for me and I find the extra battery grip doesn't really benefit me and adds unnessary bulk. The smooth, film like image quality is awesome. First thing I did when I recieved mine is put the UV protector on ASAP to prevent dust/damage to the lens. About 5% of my shots are blurred and I don't think it's user error since I did have a higher aperture and the focus points were locked with adequate lighting. (not as bad as some people on dpreview forums or the DCresource review)

Here's some sample pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/Kwantlen/Xsi

Boxwave has a good "glossy" screen protector for $7 + $2.60 shipping. I ordered one of these. These protectors are thicker, quite durable and get good reviews.
http://www.boxwave.com/products/clearto ... i_3176.htm

They also have a "matte antiglare" screen protector. I have one of these for my Garmin GPS and it's thicker than your usual protector and great quality.
http://www.boxwave.com/products/clearto ... i_3176.htm
Audio & HT Enthusiast :cheesygri
Bose Secrets: Click HERE! :o
Zoom-Zoom! (MX-5 FTW!) :D
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
I started using the Mr. Sparkle avatar first! Others stole it from me. :lol: