Art and Photography

Canon Rebel XT: Where to buy? (or other options)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2008 8:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 3, 2006
788 posts
1 upvote

Canon Rebel XT: Where to buy? (or other options)

Hey all,
Just wondering where I can look at buying a Canon Rebel XT for a decent price. I'd like something with warranty. I am actually driving through the US in a couple days so I could pick something up there as well, depending on if it's a lot cheaper.

I'd also take recommendations on cameras similar to the XT for the price (Sub $500?)

Does the D40 or E410 or anything else that you could get for cheaper compare (or is better) than the XT. I'd be looking at sticking with the kit lenses off the bat, just to get used to dSLR as this is my first camera (I had a Kodak P880 before this...)

Thanks in advance!
11 replies
May 10, 2007
858 posts
32 upvotes
Thornhill
I saw some Xt's at the Richmond Hill costco on the weekend.
I believe they are aways there because it is such an old model and no one is buying them.
I believe it was $560 or something to that affect.

I would go on a used website and pick one up for cheap.
Craigslits people are always asking too much. A Photography forum will give you more reasonable prices.

If I had to do it all over, I think I would buy my first DSLR used, save money on the camera and get a BETTER used lens as well...

But that is just me :)
Jul 15, 2003
505 posts
143 upvotes
For your price range, the Sony A200's can be found for ~$450 (Blacks/Henrys/etc) on sale, or $567 for a 2 lens kit. 2 year Cdn warranty (not offered in the US I don't think?) so prolly buy in Can. After that you will need a flash card (those are cheaper in the US). EBay your UV and circ. pol filters.. some good stuff there cheap, Hoya, 55mm.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5468 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
Don't get the kit lens. I have been through almost all Rebel lineups and most with Kit lens. I didn't learn much and i find it fustrating to take good pix with kit (when i was learning).

Invest in a good lens (you can get a good lens for cheap!). Lens virtually don't loose value either, so you are not loosing money. Just my 2c

-----------------
I would say don't worry about warranty too much (especially for XT, since its too old to have factory warranty). Keep them away from water, and I don't see them going bad anytime soon.
For Sale:
  • DSLR Slider
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
The NEW Canon 18-55mm IS kit lens is pretty sweet as it is decently sharp and comes with in lens Image Stabilization!!!
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1480 posts
12 upvotes
sfu_engineer wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2008 1:36 am
The NEW Canon 18-55mm IS kit lens is pretty sweet as it is decently sharp and comes with in lens Image Stabilization!!!
Its not bad for the price.
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/can ... p6_is_c16/

As for the OP's answer. If your looking for the best price, check up on www.photoprice.ca You might want to consider ordering from out of province. You can save on PST, but might have to pay for shipping.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2006
788 posts
1 upvote
Skipper wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2008 3:26 pm
For your price range, the Sony A200's can be found for ~$450 (Blacks/Henrys/etc) on sale, or $567 for a 2 lens kit. 2 year Cdn warranty (not offered in the US I don't think?) so prolly buy in Can. After that you will need a flash card (those are cheaper in the US). EBay your UV and circ. pol filters.. some good stuff there cheap, Hoya, 55mm.
I've been looking around for the past few days and the A200 is really impressing me. I don't know if I want to go used as that means no warranty, even if it is a bit cheaper...

Will the 2nd kit lens (75-300) on the A200 be worth the extra $120ish, or should I search out extra lenses later (used lenses?)

Does anyone know if Black's
1) Has the 60 day price guarantee if you buy in store?
2) Will pricematch a GTA store in the Kitchener (Aden camera has it on for 479 at the moment...)

I'm going to stop by black's on the weekend likely, so I can get the answers when I'm there as well...
Jul 15, 2003
505 posts
143 upvotes
If you can find the 300mm for an extra $120 it is worth it (depending on what you intend to use your camera for - I use it for animal shots a fair bit.) IMHO, it is not worth $250. A review can be found here. The biggest issue I had with it was some purple fringing (i.e. when zoomed in on image sometimes you can see a thin purple outline,) but if you get the camera apparently using F/8 or smaller somewhat corrects for it.

Back on topic, I don't think getting a used good quality 300mm lens will be cheap. The next quality level up, the Sony APO G, goes for $800. So, summarized, don't expect perfect pictures with the lens, but, you should be getting excellent value at $120.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2006
788 posts
1 upvote
Now that dual lens kit is gone from existence it seems...
Anyone know any other camera shops that are selling the dual lens kit? I can't find it on henrys or blacks online...
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3284 posts
480 upvotes
Hamilton
that dual kit lens were crappy lenses anyway. Save the money and invest in one, better lens.

just buy the body
Jul 15, 2003
505 posts
143 upvotes
OK, I know everyone likes to hack down kit lenses, but I would dare suggest that most ppl wouldn't notice on a 4x6", or, for the most part, even a 8.5 x 11". IMHO <10% of a photo is an $$$$ lens, the most part of it is the opportunity to take the photo (of which an SLR is great... if you have it on hand).

Here is a review on the kit lens. For the record, the only thing that annoyed me on this lens was the rotating front thread, which, in laymans terms meant that I had to adjust the circ-pol (think of it as polarizing sunglasses) in front every time I refocussed =p. On the other hand 55mm can be found for cheap on ebay.

... and you can't get the a200 w/o a kit lens. And moving up from a kit lens costs $600+ extra, ~10x the amount.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5468 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
^ The lens is not important because it gives you better (read accurate picture) but faster focus, compensate for low light, sharper image and (my main reason) allow you to control / isolate the picture the way you want.

Essentially better lens give you more capability to take better pictures (and then its upto photographer to use the capability)
For Sale:
  • DSLR Slider