Expired Hot Deals

[The Bay] Canon S3 IS 299.99

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2007 5:21 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 30, 2004
30 posts
I bought this in jan for 400$. Its a great camera, the only downside is the size, kinda big but the zoom and extra features make up for it
May 12, 2004
706 posts
40 upvotes
No luck at all.

I am going to call HBC and threaten to report them. this is the second time they have advertised something then has no stock to support it. I called 2 days after the last sale ended and they had lots left go figure. I suspect it will be the same this time.

I was really pi$$ed last time at HBC and at Blacks for not honouring and lying to me about their price match policies.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2027 posts
261 upvotes
Canada
icu_nxtime wrote:
Mar 15th, 2007 8:43 am
No luck at all.

I am going to call HBC and threaten to report them. this is the second time they have advertised something then has no stock to support it. I called 2 days after the last sale ended and they had lots left go figure. I suspect it will be the same this time.

I was really pi$$ed last time at HBC and at Blacks for not honouring and lying to me about their price match policies.

:confused: Report them for what? The site says out of stock, so that means they don't have any to sell. Would you rather that they not tell you that it is out of stock, and have you place an order, only to have them phone you to tell you that they have no stock? :confused:
May 12, 2004
706 posts
40 upvotes
I would rather they not advertise it at all if it is only online and out of stock then why not remove the page. If you can't get it then why have it there at all. It's not like it get's advertised anywhere else other than the HBC.com site!!!

As far as reporting them I know that they had stock 2days later

The same thing WILL happen with this sale.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1900 posts
84 upvotes
Great deal if they get stock.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1900 posts
84 upvotes
ahoroba wrote:
Mar 14th, 2007 9:24 pm
I got Sears to PM HBC for this camera at $299 back in January even though it was out of stock on HBC's web site. No 110% PM though, they only matched the $299.
I went in with a web printout, 5 minute before Sears store closing time. YMMV
I didnt know Sears PMd. Do they do this for all merchandise?
Jan 7, 2005
313 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
When they did this in January it was sold out in minutes too!
Oct 12, 2005
250 posts
11 upvotes
Apparently none of the other stores BB, FS etc are bothering to PM this deal.

i went to blacks in brampton and they advised me that they received an email from head office telling them NOT to pricematch as it is below their costs and that it is a special deal between Canon and HBC. Canon sold a number of units to HBC and apparently once those went there was to be no more.

i call BS. :mad:
May 12, 2004
706 posts
40 upvotes
Wat there ANY stock at all available when it was first put on the site. That's a question that would be interesting to find an answer to. If not why put it on ???

Also if it is all HBC why can't the order be placed ant then have the store return their stock to Head office to distribute. Finally vise versa if it is all the same company why can't we get this from HBC in store ???

I am tired of these lame ass internet companies that promote themselves as big box outlets then turn around and don't honour their in store sales pratices. They shouldn't be allowed to use the same name if they don't have the same policies !!! It should qualify under some consumer law about misrepresentation.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2781 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Pilleh wrote:
Mar 15th, 2007 11:10 am
Apparently none of the other stores BB, FS etc are bothering to PM this deal.

i went to blacks in brampton and they advised me that they received an email from head office telling them NOT to pricematch as it is below their costs and that it is a special deal between Canon and HBC. Canon sold a number of units to HBC and apparently once those went there was to be no more.

i call BS. :mad:
Yea, that is BS. But they'll say anything to try and not take a loss.
Get the store # and write to the corporate offices.
I have done so on many occasions. They have crooked ways of dealing with Price Matching so they screw you over the most.
May 12, 2004
706 posts
40 upvotes
It was DEAD before it began. Move it to the dead deals section.

What would you all say if FS or BB put a $6000 tv on for $3000 and said online only and NEVER had any stock to sell to people. HBC is lesser known online and I think that's why people don't get so worked up about them.

I call bait and switch Ba$tards !!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
5369 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
icu_nxtime wrote:
Mar 15th, 2007 12:13 pm
It was DEAD before it began. Move it to the dead deals section.

What would you all say if FS or BB put a $6000 tv on for $3000 and said online only and NEVER had any stock to sell to people. HBC is lesser known online and I think that's why people don't get so worked up about them.

I call bait and switch Ba$tards !!!
You just don't know when they put it onsale. I seriously doubt they didn't have any stocks from beginning. They are a big company and I believe the people responsible for pricing and stocking don't want to do this to loose their jobs.
They also marked it temporarily out of stock there so that will cover everything for them already, no points to call them or report them. If you did, they may never post a massive price cut again next time so at the end we are the loosers, not them...
If you want to report, pay attention to FS/BB friends and family sale, they often don't have stock when the sale starts or even worse jacked up the price right before that and it is well documented on RFD so you can have a better case against big companies.
The company I really want you to report is Sears: They illegally changed the price on your orders and charged the higher price on your credit cards without informing you or having your consents. They also erased the evidence in your order history, deleted your other orders that had the lower price but was cancelled so you have nothing to compare against and make your case. Tiger Direct did it before too but it seems they already stopped it. Those pratices should be stop first.

About the deal, last time it was really hot but now, the regular price has dropped to $429 and Dell sometime has it at $399 too so if we miss this deal, there would be more coming soon.
My 2 cents.
Mar 7, 2003
125 posts
21 upvotes
I support 1cu_nxtime 100%.

As kids there seemed to be some principle about truth in advertising. I think it must have been a childhood myth b/c big business just laughs in the face of it.

This deal is the epitomy. They list an item at a ridiculously low price and then claim out of stock. One, they either had non in stock originally or very few. If this were the case, such as having only 10 in stock, then why put them on sale? Or 2, they have lots in stock but simply say they do not and then 5 minutes after the sale, they have post them as available again.

To me the law should be - they can limit quantities per user but if the item is a regular stock item, companies used to give rain checks for when stock replenished. The new game of while supplies last is a joke. They may only make 5 of their supplies available and keep 5000 in the warehouse. So the retailer makes this big splash about their great sale and then insults us.

My response, I won't buy anything from HBC.com. I encourage others to do the same.

FWIW - as a camera fan - this camera is amazing but the new Canon S4 (maybe will skip the S4 and call it the Canon S5 b/c the number 4 has bad karma or something in Japanese) is set to come out as early as April 2007. Its been almost a year since the S3 came out and the rumours/hopes/speculation is that the S4/S5 will have a 15x or 18x zoom lens plus some other very significant improvements.

Therefore when I saw the post, my first thought was that Canon and retailers were dumping excess stock to make room for the newer model. So $299 is an amazing price unless the newer model debuts at $429 or something, then I would suggest that $299 is only Ok. I don't know the new price but as the price of digitals continue to drop, $599 cameras that become "old" models in one year may no longer be the largest market and I would not be shocked to see the new version debut at a better more consumer oriented price point, hopefully around $400.

I am most ticked off though by the nonsensical, unethical sale by HBC.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1555 upvotes
Edmonton
Trevor wrote:
Mar 15th, 2007 1:06 pm
I am most ticked off though by the nonsensical, unethical sale by HBC.
HBC - are you listening???

{You should be.} :|