None
[OP]
Jul 21, 2008
570 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto

Canon Speedlite 430 II

Hi Guys,

I am looking to pick this up for $ 289.99 + tax = $ 330'ish. Reading reviews, it seems to be a pretty good flash for beginner/intermediate user. I'm looking to improve my photos and expand my limitations over the standard flash on my Rebel XSI. I'm wondering if this is a good price for the functions compared to 3rd party-type flashes since I don't know much about them. I don't want to spend more for the higher end 580 model as I don't think I'm quite ready for that one yet. Any comments or suggestions?
12 replies
Dec 29, 2008
484 posts
24 upvotes
To be blunt, its a very good price for a good flash for intermediate/beginners.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
95 upvotes
cuecas_red wrote:
Oct 15th, 2009 7:48 pm
not sure if you will get it for that price in CDN$ but USD$ you might be able to find it. looking at newegg.com they have it for $279 US
It's $299 at Black's right now, at least it was on Tuesday at the Yonge/Dundas store. Not online though.

$309.99 at Aden, $310 at DC

$399.99 at Bestbuy. So there's some price beating possibility there.
Nov 3, 2008
42 posts
Toronto
Yes, it is a very good flash and leaps & bounds over the built-in flash in a DSLR. The manuals control on the 430EXii are very useful. There's an instant rebate still in effect until the end of the month (IIRC, $30 for this model). The price you quoted is great.

The simple fact that you can point it upwards and use a piece of white paper to diffuse it forward (use a rubber string) will improve your flash photos immediately - try it when you get and you'll see the difference.

What's important now if you get it is to study how to use it - as usual, the flash manual doesn't teach when to use certain functions and how, just how to operate the flash.

At some point you may want to move it off-camera, but Canon's off-camera cord is a rip-off, you spend less money on a wireless transmitter from eBay (there are plenty of discussions on this on dpreview.com and elsewhere so I won't repeat them).
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
The Canon 430EXii is a decent flash. It's a lot smaller and more portable compared to it's bigger brother the 580EXii. I would stay away from the Third-Party flashes though as they probably don't have the TTL/communications protocols down 100%. I think for normal users you won't miss the 580EXii. As a more advanced user I miss the build quality, weatherproofing, better buttons, wireless master, and easier to tilt/turn flash head.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
[OP]
Jul 21, 2008
570 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
sfu_engineer wrote:
Oct 17th, 2009 12:33 pm
The Canon 430EXii is a decent flash. It's a lot smaller and more portable compared to it's bigger brother the 580EXii. I would stay away from the Third-Party flashes though as they probably don't have the TTL/communications protocols down 100%. I think for normal users you won't miss the 580EXii. As a more advanced user I miss the build quality, weatherproofing, better buttons, wireless master, and easier to tilt/turn flash head.
Thanks for the info guys. I decided to pick it up and played around with it a bit this afternoon...man, what was money ever well spent. It's great! Thanks for the help everyone!
Oct 8, 2009
144 posts
wukenne wrote:
Oct 17th, 2009 6:40 pm
Thanks for the info guys. I decided to pick it up and played around with it a bit this afternoon...man, what was money ever well spent. It's great! Thanks for the help everyone!
Hope your batteries and battery compartment on your flash don't smell burned^^.
Jun 1, 2008
143 posts
7 upvotes
sfu_engineer wrote:
Oct 17th, 2009 12:33 pm
I think I read somewhere that the 580 also refreshes in a 1-2 seconds while the 430 is 5 to 6 seconds and I think that would make a big difference to most pros, especially wedding photographers
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2023 posts
261 upvotes
Canada
cuecas_red wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 10:50 am
I think I read somewhere that the 580 also refreshes in a 1-2 seconds while the 430 is 5 to 6 seconds and I think that would make a big difference to most pros, especially wedding photographers

I've used both and they appeared to refresh at the same rate.... they almost have to as you can use the 580 to control the 430 and have them both fire at the same time.
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
cuecas_red wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 10:50 am
I actually find the 430 refreshes faster than the 580. But that is because it outputs less power compared to the 580.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3034 posts
347 upvotes
I am going to check out the Blacks at Yonge/Dundas and see if they have it for $299.99. If they do, I'll ask if they would meet the BB price match at $290. Will keep you all posted.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3034 posts
347 upvotes
Of all the years I've lived in Toronto, I've never set foot inside the Blacks at Yonge/Dundas. Wow!

I got really amazing service there tonight. The 430EX II went off sale, but the sales person gave me the previous sale price ($299.99), which was great. She was also very knowledgeable about the new 7D, which I had some questions about. Overall, I'd probably go back again if I needed things retail!
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram