Feb 27, 2006
4556 posts
68 upvotes
Oakville

Canon SX100 IS vs. Olympus SP-570 UZ vs Canon S5 IS

I'm looking for a new digicam that has:
- long zoom
- captures good action shots
- easy to carry while doing sports (biking, snowboarding)

I like the SP-570 and S5 because it has functions like a DSLR but in a more compact form, but the [rfdlink=38]Canon[/rfdlink] SX100 is even more compact in the form of a regular P&S.
Do these 3 produce similar quality shots or one is much better? If there isn't much difference in this dept. then I might just go with the [rfdlink=38]Canon[/rfdlink] SX100.
I think I 've narrowed it down to these 3 models, any other recommendations are welcomed.

Just wanted your expert opinions on these cameras to see which suits me better.
Thanks in advance.
6 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2006
4556 posts
68 upvotes
Oakville
anyone know anything about these cameras?
Jan 11, 2006
497 posts
228 upvotes
I have an sx100, the zoom's great in that size and the picture quality's not bad either. But sometimes i wish i got the s5 for the variable screen and more controls. But then again..i probbaly can't take it to as many places.
Dec 31, 1969
I bought the 570UZ the day it came out. It's a really fun camera and the image quality is excellent, considering the source (small sensor, huge focal range).

It always with me, I either leave it in the car or throw in my jacket etc. The extended zoom range sold me on it, 26-520mm is nice. It's a versatile camera that is more than capable in the right hands. I have actually sold a few images that were captured with this camera!

I had the S5 for a short time when it came out but wasn't overally impressed with the image quality. It had the typical Canon characteristics...not something I like but some people may.

Best of luck with your decision...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2006
4556 posts
68 upvotes
Oakville
Thanks for your inputs.

I'm really leaning toward the Olympus because it seems like a fun camera, but I'm partial to Canon..and since the Olympus is selling for atleast $100 than the Canon.

I hope there will be price drops since the 565 is coming out soon..
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3363 posts
23 upvotes
M.D. wrote:
Sep 13th, 2008 11:54 am
I like the SP-570 and S5 because it has functions like a DSLR but in a more compact form, but the Canon SX100 is even more compact in the form of a regular P&S.
Don't for a second deceive yourself that it 'functions like a dslr'. It might sorta look like a miniature one - but they are worlds apart.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12039 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
The SX100 IS and S5 IS share the same sensor and processing. Any real differences in image quality are down to the lens.l
Deal with it.