• Jun 28th, 2013 10:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10166 posts
1206 upvotes

[Staples] Canon SX40 HS Camera $219.97 or less at Staples

Lots of camera deals at Staples this week but I think this deserves its own thread. Great deal for a high end superzoom point and shoot.

The SX40 is $219.97 at Staples.ca on clearance. OOS in the GTA but your region may vary. I had to go in store to find one. The Sherway Gardens store had 4 in stock, all open box. Most GTA stores are showing 1 or zero of this item. I was able to use a $15 coupon to bring it down to $205 but YMMV. In store price was $299 but I got them to PM the Staples.ca site.

Yes, there is the newer model SX50. The main difference is the 50X optical zoom vs 35X on the SX40. And the SX50 shoots in RAW mode, although it is debatable how important that is on this tiny image sensor camera.

The SX40 is a much better performer at the wide end at 24 mm (F2.7 vs F3.5 on the SX50). And right now the SX50 is around $400.

I think $220 is a hot price for this camera. One of the best bridge superzooms you can buy.

User reviews from Amazon are found here. Google will show you that this camera is generally very well reviewed on professional sites.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Sta ... words=sx40

My background: I am a serious amateur photographer. I own multiple DSLRs and m43 bodies and lenses. Cameras with much bigger and better image sensors. The main reason for my purchase is I wanted something versatile with serious zoom reach, I can't afford telephotos longer than 300 mm on my other cameras. This SX40 goes to the equivalent of 800 mm. :)

http://www.staples.ca/en/Canon-PowerSho ... CA_1_20001

65 replies
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3435 posts
748 upvotes
Paris ON
This thing is a beast, in the days before m4/3 it was pretty close to DSLRs (size and price wise at least). I've always wanted one of these since the S5 IS but outgrew P&S faster than I expected. Great find!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10166 posts
1206 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 10:32 pm
This thing is a beast, in the days before m4/3 it was pretty close to DSLRs (size and price wise at least). I've always wanted one of these since the S5 IS but outgrew P&S faster than I expected. Great find!
Someday we'll get a camera like this with an 800 mm zoom and an m43 size sensor. Sigh... but for now we have to compromise.

And yes, this is almost DSLR size. A fair bit lighter though than my T2i with 18-55 lens.

In my opinion $400+ for this SX40 and the SX50 is overpriced. But $220 was the sweet spot for me.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3435 posts
748 upvotes
Paris ON
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 10:34 pm
Someday we'll get a camera like this with an 800 mm zoom and an m43 size sensor. Sigh... but for now we have to compromise.

In my opinion $400+ for this SX40 and the SX50 is overpriced. But $220 was the sweet spot for me.
One of those instances where I wish stacking teleconverters worked as well in practice as in theory.

Agreed on the price, it definitely made me hold off when it's near DSLR pricing. Especially now with m4/3 cameras, would never pay the original full price, unless perhaps I was super desperate for the zooooom.
densil_lopez wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 10:52 pm
http://www.photoprice.ca/product/03789/ ... price.html

As usual oos....@ stooples
It's stOOpleS, what did you expect? :lol:

But in the event someone does manage to find stock, it's an excellent superzoom at this price!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 29, 2007
7298 posts
875 upvotes
Montreal
M1K3Z0R wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 11:03 pm

It's stOOpleS, what did you expect? :lol:

But in the event someone does manage to find stock, it's an excellent superzoom at this price!
+1
Jun 8, 2002
106 posts
44 upvotes
I've had this camera for close to 2 years and it's an excellent camera. Well worth that price if you can find it!

Also, you can shoot in RAW format using the CHDK (Canon Hack Development Kit), unlocking a whole pile of features.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10166 posts
1206 upvotes
Your local store may have stock. Call your local store and they can check stock for item 364207 at all stores in your area. Best to head to a store with more than 1 showing in inventory. Mine was open box (all I could find) but looks perfect.

You may be able to negotiate an additional discount on an open box but this is very YMMV depending on your store, manager and haggling skills. I wasn't able to get it cheaper than $220.

Since this is a clearance item some stores may offer an additional discount, but again, YMMV.

As I said, it was scanning in at $299.97 last night in store so you'll need to get them to the PM the website price.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6400 posts
149 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 10:08 pm
My background: I am a serious amateur photographer. I own multiple DSLRs and m43 bodies and lenses. Cameras with much bigger and better image sensors. The main reason for my purchase is I wanted something versatile with serious zoom reach, I can't afford telephotos longer than 300 mm on my other cameras. This SX40 goes to the equivalent of 800 mm. :)
If you want a great superzoom, you need to look at the Panasonic FZ-200. Still a small sensor, but it has a constant f2.8 aperture 25-600mm lens (24x) which is amazing. Super for indoor, low light, and fast pics when zoomed in. It also shoots raw. Only downside is it costs $500. A lens like that for a DSLR would weigh a few pounds and cost several thousand dollars
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10166 posts
1206 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 1:03 pm
If you want a great superzoom, you need to look at the Panasonic FZ-200. Still a small sensor, but it has a constant f2.8 aperture 25-600mm lens (24x) which is amazing. Super for indoor, low light, and fast pics when zoomed in. It also shoots raw. Only downside is it costs $500. A lens like that for a DSLR would weigh a few pounds and cost several thousand dollars
I've indeed heard good things about that camera. Pretty much out of my price range but looks good. The main appeal of this SX40 is that it's sub $250.

It depends on your needs and budget, if I were a pro I'd likely immediately buy the FZ200.
Dec 4, 2002
281 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
I've got an SX20, and I'm still thinking about getting this. I have a serious problem.
"I'd trade it all for a little more." - C. Montgomery Burns
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2003
4676 posts
175 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 1:03 pm
Actually, it's more like ~ 530 CAD plus taxes.

If anyone has a link for a sub 500 dollar fz200 at this moment, I would be happy as a clam. :)
He .... looka lika MAN!

I tell you every ting!

----------------------------------------------------

If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Oct 10, 2011
200 posts
11 upvotes
SHERWOOD PARK
Thanks OP, was just about to pull the trigger on Amazons deal which I thought was fabulous at $263 .... found one at a store just down the road and indeed they did have to drop from the store price of 299.97. Why do they seem so defeated when they have to do that?? :)
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4345 posts
230 upvotes
The Canon 110 there is cheaper than anywhere else ($99) and of course it's out of stock.
It takes an ocean not to break
× < >