• Mar 18th, 2017 10:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
3734 posts
328 upvotes
Scarborough

Canon T3i vs A6000 - Basic DSLR

I have an old Canon T3i that I rarely use. I find it bulky, but the wife loves it. I recently purchased the Sony A6000 (bestbuy open box for 649), and right now I don't know which one to keep. We are both amateurs and more often use the phone cameras, but would like to have a good camera as well for special events.

I find that the macro is better with the stock lens on the canon. But that might just be me, and my lack of knowledge. Overall, which camera is better in terms of value, features, and...Can someone please chime in on this?
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9199 posts
3400 upvotes
Southern Ontario
A6000 has a more advanced sensor, is a smaller system but good lenses are expensive. If you hardly use your camera big or small, don't invest in it. Do get a flash, it'll help for lowlight events, use it like Brenizer. This is a bigger advantage than sensor noise differences.
https://fstoppers.com/education/ryan-br ... hers-70645

If you want a cheap alternative to a macro lens, buy an electronic extension tube.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3020 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
Traian2003 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 9:34 am
I have an old Canon T3i that I rarely use. I find it bulky, but the wife loves it. I recently purchased the Sony A6000 (bestbuy open box for 649), and right now I don't know which one to keep. We are both amateurs and more often use the phone cameras, but would like to have a good camera as well for special events.

I find that the macro is better with the stock lens on the canon. But that might just be me, and my lack of knowledge. Overall, which camera is better in terms of value, features, and...Can someone please chime in on this?
I guess it really depends on what you want it for, as you're kinda comparing oranges with clementines – they're both good, they're both cameras that do the trick, but there are several drastic differences. The T3i is a DSLR, while the A6000 is a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.

I work in communications and often have to shoot photos for work. In that scenario, my workplace has a Canon T2i and recently got a T6i, which works well for us because we've got a bunch of lenses we can use depending on what we're shooting. But for my own personal needs, I prefer my Fuji Mirrorless camera because of its smaller size.

If it's portability you're after, then by all means go with an A6000, but as mentioned, lenses can be expensive. Also, you'll probably get better video out of the A6000, but I'm sure your video needs are met by your smartphones too...

If portability isn't an issue, might as well stick with the T3i you already own and just use the money from the Sony to get more lenses. A nifty 50mm f1.8 is usually like $150-200ish and is nice and cheap for portraits... or if macro is your thing, use the money to buy a macro lens
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7215 posts
621 upvotes
Markham
I have A6000 and 7D with 17-55m F 2.8

Been using 7D for a lot of photography, but A6000 is compact and my new love to carry around and travel.

A6000 is my to go camera, 7D is only if I need to take better shots for photography use.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Oct 6, 2006
75 posts
20 upvotes
I use my compact cameras vs my dslr far more often based on day to day ... but if im going out to a shoot or to a special event I will use my A77 instead with the equipment bag. But more and more I am relying on my A6300 because its more versatile and the lens lineup has really taken off.
:twisted: May your wallet R.I.P :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
3734 posts
328 upvotes
Scarborough
Thanks for all the recommendations, decided to return the a6000, and simply keep the old dslr. We simply don't use it enough. Love the convenience but it simply isn't worth it for me.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link