• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2017 2:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1470 posts
42 upvotes

Canon T5 AF issues

AF has quit working in shutter/aperature/manual mode. If i switch it to Scene Intelligent Auto, AF works just fine.

I am using a t5 paired with a 50mm. I used to be able to hold the shutter button halfway and it will refocus. Anyone have any idea what is wrong with my cam? Lens is set to AF.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6754 posts
975 upvotes
May be you accidentally set the focus points ??

The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1470 posts
42 upvotes
no its not the focus points. the camera is not doing any focus on P/Tv/Av/M mode but as soon as you pick something else it will focus.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11478 posts
1113 upvotes
Kanata
Have you tried a full reset of the settings on the camera?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9857 posts
4229 upvotes
Southern Ontario
1. Rule out the lens, try another.
2. Reset your camera to factory settings.
3. Re-assign focusing to one of the top right back buttons which in fact is a better way to shoot. It allows focus recompose, and repeatedly recompose (imagine focusing on a static subject once then being free to differently frame additional shots); or easily holding down that back button with your thumb to track a subject in AI Servo without worrying about pressing the shutter all the way by mistake and missing the shot. YouTube how to set up "Back Button Focus" and see demo.
4. Take it to a camera store, it'll be a free 2 minute assessment.

The fact that focus works in I-Auto and not in any other dial mode suggests the shutter button has lost focus control whether it was assigned somewhere else or faulty.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1470 posts
42 upvotes
Thanks for all the help guys. I did what was suggested, resetting from the camera menu. On the web it also said to remove the batteries, sd card, etc [hard reset they called it]. Unfortunately I did not check before I did one set of steps so I am actually unsure which series of steps fixed my issue.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6754 posts
975 upvotes
Glad to hear the issue is fixed.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted: