• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2017 10:30 am
[OP]
Nov 21, 2010
602 posts
97 upvotes
Canada

Canon T7i - Accessory & Other Recommendations

I'm a DSLR beginner. I decided to buy the Canon T7i EF-S 18-55 IS STM Kit from Best Buy for Black Friday (came with extra battery, camera bag and 64GB Lexar 633x card.

I have a lot of reading to do and I also plan to take some photography courses.

Aside from what I already have, is there any starting recommendations for accessories? For example, a good tripod? Flash module? Alternate lens? (Mostly thinking close ups and landscapes). I'm starting to go through the sticky to read through resources but any recommendations (even on courses) would be appreciated.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1681 posts
393 upvotes
North York
Stick with what you got for now. Learn how to use your camera well before consider adding anything else.
May 5, 2010
847 posts
234 upvotes
I'll say get a tripod now if you want. Just learn when to use the tripod (any long exposure or timed stuff).
A better strap for your camera if you plan on walking a lot with or hiking. Almost all of them are more comfortable than what comes with your camera with a huge lettering advertising for the brand.
You can get a blower for your camera. If you have dust on your lens or sensor, don't blow it with your mouth, you might leave a trace of spit.

That's pretty much it for starter. Like the other said, learn how to use, make some mistakes and see how you can resolve these mistakes (by learning & practising more, purchasing a flash or new lenses)
[OP]
Nov 21, 2010
602 posts
97 upvotes
Canada
thericyip wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 1:25 am
Stick with what you got for now. Learn how to use your camera well before consider adding anything else.
Good point. It makes sense. Thank you.
Gin Martini wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 8:37 am
I'll say get a tripod now if you want. Just learn when to use the tripod (any long exposure or timed stuff).
A better strap for your camera if you plan on walking a lot with or hiking. Almost all of them are more comfortable than what comes with your camera with a huge lettering advertising for the brand.
You can get a blower for your camera. If you have dust on your lens or sensor, don't blow it with your mouth, you might leave a trace of spit.

That's pretty much it for starter. Like the other said, learn how to use, make some mistakes and see how you can resolve these mistakes (by learning & practising more, purchasing a flash or new lenses)
Gotcha. Seems like I should give it some time and practice before I decide accessories but yea, I might consider the strap in the interim. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9966 posts
4282 upvotes
Southern Ontario
This is RFD, while you're mastering your gear, you still need to shop! And ask for Xmas presents :)

- a good starter tripod, travel friendly, like Manfrotto BeFree (cheap on Amazon right now), or MeFoto Roadtrip; you can't do long exposures without a tripod
- an extra battery https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4207729
- a tempered glass LCD screen protector
- a Giottos Rocket Blower to blow out dust, a LensPen (never touch the mirror or insides)
- a better strap, like a Peak Design Slide
- if you see a hot deal on a 10-18 STM, that's your wide angle landscape lens
- same for a 50mm 1.8 STM, cheapish but effective portrait lens, add a 12mm extension tube and play with macro photography before deciding on an expensive macro lens
- wait for a $25 off $75 eBay coupon, buy a Yongnuo 600ex-rt II and knockoff flash bender

As said above, master your camera and understand its limitations and you'll discover what new gear you'll want. Photography requires dedication, holding back on purchases now also means you go past the novelty period before throwing money at new gear.