• Mar 19th, 2010 10:17 am
Tags:
None
Jan 16, 2010
15 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal

Is this canon xsi worth its salt?

Hi ,I've been lurking round these boards for some time,and I just wanted to get some advice from some knowledgeable photographers on my (soon to be) newest purchase.

I'm buying a used canon XSI, and for 490 $ I get

The xsi's body with around 6500 actuations in very good condition with a plastic film on the lcd
The 18-55 IS lens
All of the objects that came with the camera in the box (strap, cables, etc.)
a transcend 8 gig class 6 sdhc card.
A lens hood and UV filter

Does this seem like a fair deal ?

Thanks a million!
31 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
1) salt is very bad for cameras as it corrodes metal

2) the xsi is a good camera and the asking price with all the accessories seems fair.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2003
2422 posts
168 upvotes
Montreal
490 for a XSi is an average to good price.

People are usually asking 500-550$ in the classified here in Montreal.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2379 posts
504 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Photography equipment must be cheaper out here in Vancouver. 2 years ago, when the Rebel XSi was all the rage, I got my kit on sale from Best Buy for $500 (before taxes). Now that the TXi is out, XSi should be cheaper. It's on sale from Best Buy for $520 - http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResu ... gory=20221

One was listed on Craigslist/Vancouver for $450 & not quite as used as the one you're looking at.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/p ... 05509.html

If shipping from Vancouver is too costly, how about this one from Toronto for $500?
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pho/1600309853.html

Either way, you're going to get an excellant camera. :D
Sep 15, 2006
255 posts
3 upvotes
First of all it is a Rebel and a 2 year old one. $400 would be generous.
So no, $490 is too much for a used one unless it comes with a grip.
Jan 16, 2010
15 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks a lot guys, I'll try and barter my way out of this one :cheesygri . Now, that toronto ad is terribly interesting too!
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1590 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
people compare asking prices with the best possible deal in "hot deals" section...often this price for a new, warranty item, is lower than the used one!

unfortunately on the street noone has a time machine and people will pay these prices in the classified
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
$490 is way too much. I paid $250 for my Xti with 2500 actuations, with battery grip, 18-55mm IS lens, 2 batteries, canon remote, hoya uv filter, and 4GB Sandisk Compact Flash.. Lowball!! They are probably getting rid of it to upgrade to T2i or something better. If you are just starting out.. I would seriously consider an Xti. They are really really cheap now as it's discontinued and everyone on kijji is selling them for dirt cheap.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not with other people here. 490$ for XSi with kit lens is a fair and warm price. Keep in mind that brand new still selling for 600$ as well and it is not like it is a discounted model like the XTi....although soon to be discounted.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... b706d3en02

http://www.henrys.com/23764-CANON-D-REB ... -BODY.aspx
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
faken wrote: $490 is way too much. I paid $250 for my Xti with 2500 actuations, with battery grip, 18-55mm IS lens, 2 batteries, canon remote, hoya uv filter, and 4GB Sandisk Compact Flash.. Lowball!! They are probably getting rid of it to upgrade to T2i or something better. If you are just starting out.. I would seriously consider an Xti. They are really really cheap now as it's discontinued and everyone on kijji is selling them for dirt cheap.
The Xti is not as as good as the xsi, and its older so anything you buy will likely be older and more used. The XSI is a fair price. not "omg buy it no matter what", but ok.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2003
2422 posts
168 upvotes
Montreal
Just wondering, were you pointing to a XSI for 529$ at BB?!
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

Photography equipment must be cheaper out here in Vancouver. 2 years ago, when the Rebel XSi was all the rage, I got my kit on sale from Best Buy for $500 (before taxes). Now that the TXi is out, XSi should be cheaper. It's on sale from Best Buy for $520 - http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResu ... gory=20221

One was listed on Craigslist/Vancouver for $450 & not quite as used as the one you're looking at.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/p ... 05509.html

If shipping from Vancouver is too costly, how about this one from Toronto for $500?
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pho/1600309853.html

Either way, you're going to get an excellant camera. :D
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
spiralspirit wrote: The Xti is not as as good as the xsi, and its older so anything you buy will likely be older and more used. The XSI is a fair price. not "omg buy it no matter what", but ok.

Sorry sir. You are wrong.

Just because it's older doesn't mean it's bad. The XTi still holds a great IQ for it's class
The XTi can do ISO3200 now, as well as 1/3 stop increments.

Can the XSi?... I think not.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
its hacked to do that. ISO 3200 is not native to the sensor. its the same thing as taking something at ISO 1600 and upping the exposure a stop in raw conversion, which you can do with any camera. The difference is the amount of noise at ISO 1600 - the XSI wins out by quite a bit and at higher resolutions.

I am quite correct.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
spiralspirit wrote: its hacked to do that. ISO 3200 is not native to the sensor. its the same thing as taking something at ISO 1600 and upping the exposure a stop in raw conversion, which you can do with any camera. The difference is the amount of noise at ISO 1600 - the XSI wins out by quite a bit and at higher resolutions.

I am quite correct.
It is native. Go check up the thread over at POTN. There's a discussion about it, one person says it's not native, while others including me says it is.
Then one guy proving it so that it's native.

Pushing ISO1600 to 3200, and taking 3200 in camera gives very different results.

Of course the resolution is different. My point is not about how much "noise" is in the photograph.
You have fun with your XSi stuck at ISO1600, while I go ahead and get my shot by going to ISO3200, retaining higher shutter speed.

The XTi has a very very slight advantage over the 40D too at high ISO's.
It retains slightly more detail than the 40D.

No sir. I believe you are quite incorrect.
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
I have a 40D a 7D and the secret XTI stash (present I got for girlfriend, that if I need it, it is there). I can honestly say, I have zero problems with the XTI image quality and I am not afraid to use it...
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
you're still wrong. not even the t1i, which has the next generation of sensor over the XSI, has native ISO 3200, even though it can be expanded to 6400 and 12800. It's just a software push. I read through the thread - there was nothing conclusive there. No one "proved" anything. here one guy claims to prove the opposite. It doesn't make him more or less right than you.

Again - even with the 3200 ISO, which may allow for exposures that need it, ISO performance is still worse than the XSI. If you take the XSI and push it in post +1 on exposure, you get a better picture than an XTI on 3200. If you take a t1i you at the same ISO you get a better picture than the XSI, and if you take a 7d you get a better picture than the t1i. ISO is great but noise performance has changed.

I myself am not stuck with ISO 1600, I routinely use ISO 3200 on my t1i. I am quite happy with it, in fact.
kay188 wrote: It is native. Go check up the thread over at POTN. There's a discussion about it, one person says it's not native, while others including me says it is.
Then one guy proving it so that it's native.

Pushing ISO1600 to 3200, and taking 3200 in camera gives very different results.

Of course the resolution is different. My point is not about how much "noise" is in the photograph.
You have fun with your XSi stuck at ISO1600, while I go ahead and get my shot by going to ISO3200, retaining higher shutter speed.

The XTi has a very very slight advantage over the 40D too at high ISO's.
It retains slightly more detail than the 40D.

No sir. I believe you are quite incorrect.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2800 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Not a good deal.
490 for an Xsi used with no warranty/no clue what happened to it?
Considering the Xsi is getting discontinued soon you might be able to find a new one with all that stuff for 599 or less.

Remember, this is a rebel. 1 repair ~150$.
Your savings are suddenly gone.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
spiralspirit wrote: you're still wrong. not even the t1i, which has the next generation of sensor over the XSI, has native ISO 3200, even though it can be expanded to 6400 and 12800. It's just a software push. I read through the thread - there was nothing conclusive there. No one "proved" anything. here one guy claims to prove the opposite. It doesn't make him more or less right than you.

Again - even with the 3200 ISO, which may allow for exposures that need it, ISO performance is still worse than the XSI. If you take the XSI and push it in post +1 on exposure, you get a better picture than an XTI on 3200. If you take a t1i you at the same ISO you get a better picture than the XSI, and if you take a 7d you get a better picture than the t1i. ISO is great but noise performance has changed.

I myself am not stuck with ISO 1600, I routinely use ISO 3200 on my t1i. I am quite happy with it, in fact.
Well if you're "oh so sure", why don't you ask the developer himself? Go over to CHDK and ask the developer himself.
Yes I understand the point of the sensor technology.
However, only Canon themselves know if they crippled the sensor to be limited at ISO1600 "natively", via software.
Would you happen to know such information, sir knowitall?

Why don't you do the wonderful test for us?
Get yourself an XSi, and XTi. Do an ISO3200 test. Then try to rub it in my face.
Again, I'm not talking about noise performance. You need to learn to embrace the noise if you really want to start something about noise.

You're reading the wrong thread sir.
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
kay188 wrote: Well if you're "oh so sure", why don't you ask the developer himself? Go over to CHDK and ask the developer himself.
Yes I understand the point of the sensor technology.
However, only Canon themselves know if they crippled the sensor to be limited at ISO1600 "natively", via software.
Would you happen to know such information, sir knowitall?

Why don't you do the wonderful test for us?
Get yourself an XSi, and XTi. Do an ISO3200 test. Then try to rub it in my face.
Again, I'm not talking about noise performance. You need to learn to embrace the noise if you really want to start something about noise.

You're reading the wrong thread sir.
ya, I read that. the announcement was made by a guy with 2 posts (remains at 2 posts now), with no images to back it up, and his "proof" is how the UI acts.

meh. I don't believe it. You're the one with an XTI. Take two exposures, one at 1600, one at 3200, and push the 1600 +1 ev in post and see how it goes. Then post some pictures or even better link to the RAW files, because I don't consider a nobody on POTN with 2 posts and no evidence as "proof".

also, your nonsense about "learn to embrace the noise to learn about noise" is just that - nonsense. lower noise means I can shoot at higher ISOs and retain color information and detail. Some amount of noise is ok, but less noise is always good. I don't have to learn to embrace anything.
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
6 upvotes
Markham/Kingston
XSi or XTi. The noise is still going to be really bad at higher ISO. It doesn't matter if it is native or not. The smaller sensors are just pretty poor at handling light capturing. Even newer cameras like the T1i are bad but just have more rigorous noise reduction algorithms that rob the image of sharpness, contrast, and colour.

The best way to get decent noise performance is to get a camera with a larger sensor and to get a newer camera that has better software algorithms. Certain cameras produce image files that can be pushed in software much easier than others. For example the original Canon 5D files can be pushed exposure wise in software without much degradation in image quality compared to the newer 5D Mark II files.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)