Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16467 posts
1452 upvotes
Space for rent

Can't believe 2018 is almost over!

It feels like we just celebrated this new years.

Sure part of it is probably a self mechanism to protect our selves from feeling old and irrelevant because obviously when you're young perspective of time seems finite or largely just inconsequential but now the years seem to roll right on by.

I can't honestly grasp how it's almost 2019 and more importantly, another decade is about to pass. Saying 2020 seems almost science fiction like to me.
25 replies
Jul 23, 2007
294 posts
72 upvotes
Vancouver
What do you expect then?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11966 posts
1734 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Is it going by fast for Millenials, too?
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9440 posts
3826 upvotes
Toronto
I'll be here till 2100.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4909 posts
1144 upvotes
Aurora
Yep, life seems to be moving very fast for me too. I remember preparing for the Y2K rollover in IT at work and it feels so recent.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7717 posts
1029 upvotes
Toronto
I remember it well, it seems like only yesterday.:(
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16467 posts
1452 upvotes
Space for rent
DiceMan wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 6:09 pm
Yep, life seems to be moving very fast for me too. I remember preparing for the Y2K rollover in IT at work and it feels so recent.

Getting old sucks my dude.

They say don't worry about things you can't control but it still doesn't really soften the blow you know?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16467 posts
1452 upvotes
Space for rent
danned wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 4:22 pm
What do you expect then?
Unbridled sympathy? Just lamenting that the march of time and the processes of organic life as we know is intertwined and we can either celebrate it and embrace unconditionally in all its beauty or be a curmudgeon and complain like I am even though it's pointless.

I sometimes wonder about scientists who worked in the field of cosmology and what must be in their minds when they are dying. They know life has a cycle and things must be so. It has functioned that way for eons and it shall continue to function that way eons after we are gone. Something tragic and beautiful in that.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3181 posts
774 upvotes
Parry Sound
I can't believe time exists! OMG how did this ever happen?!?!
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1317 posts
507 upvotes
Mississauga
This linked article explains it well: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... p-with-age. How we perceive time depends on what we are experiencing. New experiences, typical for younger people, get encoded into memory. As we age, we settle into routines, and as such the familiar just doesn’t get registered in the brain the same way, hence time appears to fly by as we get older.
My recollection of summers as a kid was that they were endless. Now they are gone in a blink of an eye. Kind of sad but it’s a bit comforting to me that other RFD’ers feels the same.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16467 posts
1452 upvotes
Space for rent
STP123 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 9:03 am
This linked article explains it well: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... p-with-age. How we perceive time depends on what we are experiencing. New experiences, typical for younger people, get encoded into memory. As we age, we settle into routines, and as such the familiar just doesn’t get registered in the brain the same way, hence time appears to fly by as we get older.
My recollection of summers as a kid was that they were endless. Now they are gone in a blink of an eye. Kind of sad but it’s a bit comforting to me that other RFD’ers feels the same.
Thank you for the link. Explains a whole lot about scientists who say to keep the brain active in old age to ward off brain disease.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6198 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto
It has been a pretty interesting year, mostly because of Trump. No NAFTA to NAFTA 2.0, trade war with china, embassy killing, Trump's constant toddler antics, US midterms coming up, weed is legal.

Quite an exciting year provided you are not negatively affected. The NAFTA thing, I was very worried about as it would impact my business, but now that it is resolved; 2018 is one hell of a ride.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1112 posts
731 upvotes
Canada
Whats life?

Why time goes so fast?

What have you done?