• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2017 1:03 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2399 posts
362 upvotes
This place has been going downhill for years. I can't say I'm surprised. I couldn't log in again earlier today. It's been happening to me at least twice a month for the last year. Pathetic. I liked RFD when it at least seemed like it was owned by deal-hunters and not by the corporate borg.
Dec 19, 2006
80 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver
dollarsign wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 10:04 pm
Finally able to login. The silly thing is that I had to use the "forgot my password" link which didn't work for the past few hours.

Logged in using the temporary pass from email. When I go to change the permanent password, it says my current password is incorrect (the temp one). So, I try my real password and it works.

The stupid system knew all along what my password was, yet kept telling me it was incorrect! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
This approach worked for me as well. Once I used the temp password to log in, it still remembered my old password and all of a sudden I could use my old password to log in on all my devices again.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8364 posts
12707 upvotes
Scarborough
This is still the same issue that first arose 2 weeks ago when the log in server was down for almost the entire day. There is no data being compromised. The data centre is working on fixing the problem and I'll try to get an update today as to when they'll have the problem resolved. It's frustrating for us too and we apologize for the times that you're unable to post or access your account.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Sep 9, 2015
217 posts
53 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
engineered wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 10:10 pm
Ugh, been logged out multiple times again today, and had to wait a while before I could log in. Site is has a lot less traffic lately because of these issues. I've already signed up at another deals site while I was locked out.
PM me as well please (when the site DOES work, oh the irony...)

Back to lurking it is I guess. Getting tired of seeing the same deals every day; probably because people CAN'T LOG IN TO POST. Site has been on/off for 5 times in the past week starting Tuesday. I can barely access the site for 2/24 hours of the day.
Dec 5, 2005
613 posts
217 upvotes
Earth
TomRFD wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 8:25 am
This is still the same issue that first arose 2 weeks ago when the log in server was down for almost the entire day. There is no data being compromised. The data centre is working on fixing the problem and I'll try to get an update today as to when they'll have the problem resolved. It's frustrating for us too and we apologize for the times that you're unable to post or access your account.
Hi TomRFD,

If you don't mind me asking, why isn't there a message posted with this explanation in the forum homepage or as a sticky in Hot Deals? Sure, we can read about it here, but many people won't look here and probably think it's their computer or phone that's the problem.

Just curious why more isn't being done to at least let users know what the issue is and that it is being worked on. Not your fault, but why make users search for answers? Is it a management decision?

Thanks,
Oats
Zooooooomer, just get it!
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3571 posts
454 upvotes
Oatmeal wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 9:38 am
Hi TomRFD,

If you don't mind me asking, why isn't there a message posted with this explanation in the forum homepage or as a sticky in Hot Deals? Sure, we can read about it here, but many people won't look here and probably think it's their computer or phone that's the problem.

Just curious why more isn't being done to at least let users know what the issue is and that it is being worked on. Not your fault, but why make users search for answers? Is it a management decision?

Thanks,
Oats
+1
and TomRDF can you pls. pop in here every 2hr or so with update ? ... something like "no change - working on fixing" ... or whatever ... thanks
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9757 posts
846 upvotes
Oatmeal wrote:
Hi TomRFD,

Thanks,
Oats

A debriefing on the situation would be nice if it was stickied and visible across all forums, but don't expect updates the next time RFD goes down.

If they get locked out too, how can they update the situation when it goes down?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8364 posts
12707 upvotes
Scarborough
Oatmeal wrote:
Hi TomRFD,

Thanks,
Oats
The first time it happened it also took down our admin backend which meant we couldn't even put a message up which is why we posted to social media that day. The subsequent outages occurred for short durations and were resolved before we could get a message up. If the problem had been on the RFD side we would've had it resolved quickly but unfortunately it's an issue with YP and Telus' data centre. Our dev manager is reaching out to YP again because the amount of time users have been unable to log in is completely unacceptable. I'm expecting to have a more accurate timeline on when this issue will be fully resolved by tomorrow.

In the meanwhile we're doing what we can to improve the situation when the log in server or some other area of our website goes down. This will include better announcements of said outages and improve messaging on error pages to let users know what the problem is.
Dec 5, 2005
613 posts
217 upvotes
Earth
TomRFD wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 10:12 am
The first time it happened it also took down our admin backend which meant we couldn't even put a message up which is why we posted to social media that day. The subsequent outages occurred for short durations and were resolved before we could get a message up. If the problem had been on the RFD side we would've had it resolved quickly but unfortunately it's an issue with YP and Telus' data centre. Our dev manager is reaching out to YP again because the amount of time users have been unable to log in is completely unacceptable. I'm expecting to have a more accurate timeline on when this issue will be fully resolved by tomorrow.

In the meanwhile we're doing what we can to improve the situation when the log in server or some other area of our website goes down. This will include better announcements of said outages and improve messaging on error pages to let users know what the problem is.
Thanks for the in depth explanation TomRFD​, but are you not allowed to put up a sticky with a short explanation?

Sorry, just asking the question that's ​on everyone's mind.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8364 posts
12707 upvotes
Scarborough
Oatmeal wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 10:24 am
Thanks for the in depth explanation TomRFD​, but are you not allowed to put up a sticky with a short explanation?
If I can log in, I can. The problem is that when the problem occurs no one can post. I could proactively put one up saying that it could go down (and that's what I'm currently planning on doing based on what I hear back from the dev manager). The reason that hadn't gone up already is because YP/Telus kept saying the issue was resolved... yet it wasn't. If the problem isn't resolved by early tomorrow, we'll be putting some form of messaging up to alert people of the possibility of not being able to log in until the expected resolution date.
Dec 5, 2005
613 posts
217 upvotes
Earth
TomRFD wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 10:29 am
If I can log in, I can. The problem is that when the problem occurs no one can post. I could proactively put one up saying that it could go down (and that's what I'm currently planning on doing based on what I hear back from the dev manager). The reason that hadn't gone up already is because YP/Telus kept saying the issue was resolved... yet it wasn't. If the problem isn't resolved by early tomorrow, we'll be putting some form of messaging up to alert people of the possibility of not being able to log in until the expected resolution date.
Thanks Tom, the proactive approach would be good, because like you said when it happens no one can post. Also, they may not be able to fix it in the timeframe they've mentioned, as we've already seen.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27704 posts
773 upvotes
Dildo, NL
UnFlickingBelieveable.

I've been locked out for two flippin weeks. JK, it's bee 30hrs or so.

Ughhhhhh.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5127 posts
1204 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Website is still acting all screwy this morning.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8364 posts
12707 upvotes
Scarborough
The latest from Telus is that the problem should be resolved. I haven't seen the log in system go down since the weekend so that's a good sign at least. If it happens again we will immediately post an announcement. The changes to the log in page and the error message updates are still forthcoming and hopefully will be in before too long.
Sep 27, 2003
8176 posts
1552 upvotes
Newmarket
Think its time you guys switch over to Bell. Shoot me a PM, let's chat. Oh...err, no self promotion ;)
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)