Tags:
None
Sep 27, 2003
8176 posts
1552 upvotes
Newmarket
WorldIRC wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 6:23 pm
You need an approved post in another section of the site before you can PM.
@EverybodyKnows why the downvote? Do you disagree with the site's attempt at preventing people from signing up for the purposes of spam PMing others?
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13287 posts
3266 upvotes
Toronto
Came back again.
Do the mods/admins/brass know get reports every time this is happening or only if they try to use the forum or posts to this thread?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13287 posts
3266 upvotes
Toronto
RFD spent most of the night not working. I'm starting to realize every time there is one occurrence several more usually follow
Jan 12, 2017
249 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver
for like 3rd time in a month my account got disabled.
PW doesn't work
try forgot PW, and says no YellowID when I enter my email.

Tom does fix it rather quickly though Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2776 posts
170 upvotes
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Deadlock found when trying to get lock; try restarting transaction [1213]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
What the heck?
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4408 posts
2055 upvotes
Vancouver
Had more issues with the RFD login system. Was logged out and couldn't log-in for a few hours. I guess each time this happens RFD probably loses 1% of their user base. I am sure you can see internally the post numbers going down week-by-week and month-by-month. How much has the annual traffic to RFD decreased YoY over the past year? It's sad to see this site dying. I know part of it is that people are using other avenues to communicate, but the broken login system doesn't help things. Once people get logged out they might just not bother to log back in.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13287 posts
3266 upvotes
Toronto
Just got this
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Deadlock found when trying to get lock; try restarting transaction [1213]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
adamtheman wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 11:29 am
Had more issues with the RFD login system. Was logged out and couldn't log-in for a few hours. I guess each time this happens RFD probably loses 1% of their user base. I am sure you can see internally the post numbers going down week-by-week and month-by-month. How much has the annual traffic to RFD decreased YoY over the past year? It's sad to see this site dying. I know part of it is that people are using other avenues to communicate, but the broken login system doesn't help things. Once people get logged out they might just not bother to log back in.
Indeed, people form habits, interrupt them and people can move on.
Administrator
Mar 8, 2015
52 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm taking a risk by sticking my head out here considering where my paychecks come from, but after the nth time I feel that the community deserves to know something...
Quentin5 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 11:10 pm
Came back again.
Do the mods/admins/brass know get reports every time this is happening or only if they try to use the forum or posts to this thread?
The forum staff unfortunately can't do much, but we've been yelling at people every time this happens, even before reports come in on the forum (because they're down during those times Face With Cold Sweat). It's slowly escalated to the point that the brass is on it, so we may see significantly reduced downtimes soon.
adamtheman wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 11:29 am
I am sure you can see internally the post numbers going down week-by-week and month-by-month. How much has the annual traffic to RFD decreased YoY over the past year? It's sad to see this site dying.
I'm sure this will surprise many, but the numbers were pretty positive last time I checked.
For inquiries, please message TomRFD.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3571 posts
454 upvotes
dsinnyp wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 12:23 pm
I'm taking a risk by sticking my head out here considering where my paychecks come from, but after the nth time I feel that the community deserves to know something...

thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4408 posts
2055 upvotes
Vancouver
dsinnyp wrote:

The forum staff unfortunately can't do much, but we've been yelling at people every time this happens, even before reports come in on the forum (because they're down during those times Face With Cold Sweat). It's slowly escalated to the point that the brass is on it, so we may see significantly reduced downtimes soon.

I'm sure this will surprise many, but the numbers were pretty positive last time I checked.
hey dsinnpy, thanks for stopping in to say hello and give us an update. It must be frustrating to deal with these errors. Hopefully they get worked out soon.

Regarding the numbers... well... I don't have the stats in front of me, but it's clear to me that there's been a slow down over the years. I had some time on my hands so I went and checked out archive.org and looked at the overall number of posts over the years and divided them roughly by the days between periods to come up with a "posts per day" count. While this is not scientific (posts get deleted etc) I think it's a pretty good representation overall of the decline:

Code: Select all

Not that it is scientific or anything, but I did a quick check and:

Jun 21 2017 = 22,431,425 posts (4039 posts per day)
Jun 25 2016 = 20,973,269 posts (4494 posts per day)
Jun 26 2015 = 19,337,210 posts (4970 posts per day)
Jun 17 2014 = 17,478,343 posts (5287 posts per day)
Jun 22 2013 = 15,564,789 posts (5228 posts per day)
Jun 21 2012 = 13,555,865 posts (4949 posts per day)
Jun 26 2011 = 11,774,099 posts (5354 posts per day)
Jul 29 2010 =  9,980,192 posts (5547 posts per day)
Sep 27 2009 =  8,288,262 posts (5319 posts per day)
Sep 25 2008 =  6,346,728 posts (4785 posts per day)
Sep 25 2007 =  4,600,006 posts (2550 posts per day)
Sep 01 2006 =  3,605,149 posts (4247 posts per day)
Sep 01 2005 =  2,054,841 posts (2959 posts per day)
Jul 10 2004 =    826,784 posts
I went back to 2004 for the heck of it (when I joined) but there was no real need to. As we can see, RFD really seemed to take off in 2008/2009, which is no coincidence since that coincides with the great recession. People were likely looking for coupons and deals to pinch pennies. It looks like the traffic/posts started to decline around 2015. Over the last year there's been an average of 4039 posts per day which is about a 20-25% drop from the peak days.

Again, I don't know if this is an RFD only problem. Most of the forums I visit are declining in traffic. But the login issues definitely don't help the problem, is all I am saying :) What's worrisome is that for a forum of this type (hot deals) that relies on an active userbase, if the daily post count drops below a certain mark the site could die very quickly and suddenly. I've seen it happen with other forums. Just don't want to see RFD die (and I'm sure neither do you, since you're employed by them!). I've been here for 13 years and would be sad to see it go.
Administrator
Mar 8, 2015
52 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks @adamtheman for taking the time to dig up, calculate and analyze all those numbers. I don't want to go too off-topic, so I'll just leave a few points about the decline:
  • I was looking at traffic instead of post count, and only comparing with last year's data since the login problems didn't become that bad until this year.
  • The post counts up to June 2016 are from a different forums engine, and I don't know how accurate it was, or whether it counted posts that were soft-deleted, hard-deleted, unmoderated, etc. Everything had to be re-counted in August 2016 (I happened to be the one to work on that). This doesn't explain the drop between 2014 and 2016 I know, but comparisons between opposite sides of August 2016 using that counter are probably not reliable.
  • The bargain market fluctuates. When the numbers did go down for us in a previous year, there was some consolation because our competitors were generally hit harder.
For inquiries, please message TomRFD.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13287 posts
3266 upvotes
Toronto
dsinnyp wrote:

Thanks for replying, a lesson for the brass in customer service, its often not the problem that turns away customers but how the company handles it (and there is research proving this). Stonewall customers and they will form a negative impression of your company, keeping them in the loop and resolving issues in a timely manner can (ironically) lead to stronger customers then if the problem never happened, because customers then feel appreciated and come to believe your a good company to do business with in the future.
Someone once said it takes a lifetime to build a good reputation and only one incident to destroy it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5187 posts
1370 upvotes
Kootenays
Down for hours again....at least we're back now.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10268 posts
3169 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Both yesterday evening and again this evening.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)