334 upvotes
Woodbridge
Phew! So it wasn't just me.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8735 posts
13040 upvotes
Scarborough
We had a problem with the log in server starting just after noon eastern time yesterday. Unfortunately our efforts to quickly get the issue resolved failed and it resulted in an extended period where no one was able to log in. Things are starting to get back to normal and those who still can't log in, should be able to soon.

We are currently investigating what happened and will do our best to prevent this from happening again. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
1924 posts
697 upvotes
Montreal
jvnanu wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 9:51 am
Phew! So it wasn't just me.
Did you really think no one had anything to post on RFD for 20 hours?
Last edited by S5 on Feb 5th, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14093 posts
3659 upvotes
I think you need to switch services to someone more reliable
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Sep 26, 2006
629 posts
82 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 9:52 am
We had a problem with the log in server starting just after noon eastern time yesterday. Unfortunately our efforts to quickly get the issue resolved failed and it resulted in an extended period where no one was able to log in. Things are starting to get back to normal and those who still can't log in, should be able to soon.

We are currently investigating what happened and will do our best to prevent this from happening again. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Probably bought the servers on the cheap lol
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1329 posts
334 upvotes
Woodbridge
BaboSo wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:00 am
Probably bought the servers on the cheap lol
Should've used BST.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
1155 posts
776 upvotes
I see that RFD still has not taken the basic step of informing users about an outage by adding a banner to the site saying "We are experiencing difficulties with the login server. Expected to be resolved by...."

Why does RFD have this problem repeatedly over a long period of time, when others don't?
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13999 posts
1335 upvotes
Toronto
They mentioned it on Twitter

If someone is reading this and is locked out, try signing in one last time and you should be logged in.

I was in the in-out stage but saw a new post. Signed in, now I'm in for good.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
11563 posts
4091 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TomRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 9:52 am

Glad to see you're back up.

But again (or sadly, as usual?) there was no indication on the RFD Home page or on the RFD Forums home page about this. Even a simple one-liner like "Currently experiencing technical issues. Authentication server is down. ETA is ????" would have gone a long way to reassuring everyone that you're aware there's a problem and are working to correct it.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
This is a pet peeve of mine. If you're going to apologize sincerely then why qualify it? Does Yellow Pages really think that there were RFDers who are reading this who weren't inconvenienced in some way by this outage? And even if a few people didn't notice and weren't inconvenienced because they were away on Sunday, what's the harm in apologizing to them too?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13999 posts
1335 upvotes
Toronto
This is a website. Websites go down.

I forget how much a month we are paying for this service?
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
1155 posts
776 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:17 am
This is a website. Websites go down.

I forget how much a month we are paying for this service?
But they shouldn't, and it's a screwup when they do. And when the same thing screws up over and over, you'd think they'd take some action to fix it once and for all.

Let's not be naive that RFD is operating as a charity. Yellow Pages is a for-profit company, and I'm sure they are as unhappy as the users when the site for which they are paying is out of service.
Last edited by Exp315 on Feb 5th, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9713 posts
889 upvotes
RFD
So it wasn't only me lol