None
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14554 posts
1580 upvotes
Toronto
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:20 am
But they shouldn't, and it's a screwup when they do. And when the same thing screws up over and over, you'd think they'd take some action to fix it once and for all.

Let's not be naive that RFD is operating as a charity. Yellow Pages is a for-profit company, and I'm sure they are as unhappy as the users when the site for which they are paying is out of service.
RFD has advertisers they have to answer to. You make this sound like a backyard operation.

They've apologized, I hope everyone comes back on and ultimately, I'm moving on. It sucks, I agree, but I mean, I don't get what the digs are going to do, other than take it out on a few active mods around here who will have to say they are sorry, over and over again. Front line workers getting the brunt, let me tell ya lol
"Deal of the Day" addict
RFD Alumnus
Dec 5, 2007
86 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately our login service is one of the only things not managed by our team directly.

During this outage, no one could login to RedFlagDeals, YellowPages.ca, make reservations at YPDine, and tons of other sites.

The root cause was the domain name yellowid.ca expired, and it took 30 people / 20 hours to identify the issue and fully resolve it.

I get why this is frustrating, I'm frustrated too. We're investigating moving off such an unreliable service, but it will take time and negotiating with our parent company (Yellow Pages).
RFD Alumni
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14554 posts
1580 upvotes
Toronto
radeonboy wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:21 am
So it wasn't only me lol
It felt like it until I noticed there were no new posts lol
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4473 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
thx for working on it
TomRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 9:52 am
We had a problem with the log in server starting just after noon eastern time yesterday. Unfortunately our efforts to quickly get the issue resolved failed and it resulted in an extended period where no one was able to log in. Things are starting to get back to normal and those who still can't log in, should be able to soon.

We are currently investigating what happened and will do our best to prevent this from happening again. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4473 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
big monet spent on this major incident especially happened during weekend
thx for fixing it
MarkRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:26 am
Unfortunately our login service is one of the only things not managed by our team directly.

During this outage, no one could login to RedFlagDeals, YellowPages.ca, make reservations at YPDine, and tons of other sites.

The root cause was the domain name yellowid.ca expired, and it took 30 people / 20 hours to identify the issue and fully resolve it.

I get why this is frustrating, I'm frustrated too. We're investigating moving off such an unreliable service, but it will take time and negotiating with our parent company (Yellow Pages).
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9172 posts
3585 upvotes
Toronto
Did we get hacked??

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4254 posts
584 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:10 am
I see that RFD still has not taken the basic step of informing users about an outage by adding a banner to the site saying "We are experiencing difficulties with the login server. Expected to be resolved by...."

Why does RFD have this problem repeatedly over a long period of time, when others don't?
yep , it would be nice ... but next time if you have problems just go to "hot deals" and see if is "moving" or not ...
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
10856 posts
1395 upvotes
RFD
I'm surprised that something like this is not on auto-renew when its integral to the service? Someone should have at least gotten a renewal notice long before it expired?
MarkRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:26 am

Sep 27, 2003
9083 posts
2000 upvotes
Newmarket
radeonboy wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:32 am
I'm surprised that something like this is not on auto-renew when its integral to the service? Someone should have at least gotten a renewal notice long before it expired?
What's more surprising is they only renewed the domain for another year but it is now set to auto-renew.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Sep 27, 2003
9083 posts
2000 upvotes
Newmarket
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:30 am
Did we get hacked??
An explanation has already been provided. No, the site was not hacked.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Jul 5, 2004
23010 posts
2666 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:17 am
This is a website. Websites go down.

I forget how much a month we are paying for this service?
Absolutely. Not a big deal. There's lots of other things to do in life. With that said, I can't help but wonder why this seems to happen so frequently on RFD but never on any other sites I visit.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1840 posts
544 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I like the idea of adding a banner on the homepage stating that there are technical issues.
Jul 5, 2004
23010 posts
2666 upvotes
flyingnurse wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:38 am
I like the idea of adding a banner on the homepage stating that there are technical issues.
It sounds like even the admins can't login, so not sure it's possible. Unless there's someway to run a script automatically, but whether that's technically possible/feasible is way above my IT knowledge.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9474 posts
14142 upvotes
Scarborough
bylo wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:16 am
But again (or sadly, as usual?) there was no indication on the RFD Home page or on the RFD Forums home page about this. Even a simple one-liner like "Currently experiencing technical issues. Authentication server is down. ETA is ????" would have gone a long way to reassuring everyone that you're aware there's a problem and are working to correct it.

This is a pet peeve of mine. If you're going to apologize sincerely then why qualify it? Does Yellow Pages really think that there were RFDers who are reading this who weren't inconvenienced in some way by this outage? And even if a few people didn't notice and weren't inconvenienced because they were away on Sunday, what's the harm in apologizing to them too?
I agree that communication during said events needs to improve. I myself have access to forum announcements but during log in outages I am unable to setup new ones or temporary edit an existing one. We'll be having a meeting to discuss this and have a better plan in place for the next time this happens (which hopefully is a long ways away).

There isn't much we can do besides apologize when things like this happen. We are working on backend improvements to prevent these outages from happening again and hopefully once completed it'll greatly reduce the frequency and minimize the downtime.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].