• Feb 11th, 2018 8:40 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8942 posts
3406 upvotes
Toronto
Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew...I can go back to sleep now. Thanks!
WorldIRC wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:35 am
An explanation has already been provided. No, the site was not hacked.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14366 posts
1494 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:35 am
What's more surprising is they only renewed the domain for another year but it is now set to auto-renew.
I missed my chance to own a part of RFD :(
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5460 posts
1641 upvotes
North York
MarkRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:26 am
Unfortunately our login service is one of the only things not managed by our team directly.
During this outage, no one could login to RedFlagDeals, YellowPages.ca, make reservations at YPDine, and tons of other sites.
The root cause was the domain name yellowid.ca expired, and it took 30 people / 20 hours to identify the issue and fully resolve it.
I get why this is frustrating, I'm frustrated too. We're investigating moving off such an unreliable service, but it will take time and negotiating with our parent company (Yellow Pages).
Appreciate all the work efforts on Superbowl weekend!
20-hours downtime is not that bad, even banking websites sometimes go down for hours.
Some people simply need to find other activities to occupy their free time.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4329 posts
404 upvotes
Markham
MarkRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:26 am
Unfortunately our login service is one of the only things not managed by our team directly.

During this outage, no one could login to RedFlagDeals, YellowPages.ca, make reservations at YPDine, and tons of other sites.

The root cause was the domain name yellowid.ca expired, and it took 30 people / 20 hours to identify the issue and fully resolve it.

I get why this is frustrating, I'm frustrated too. We're investigating moving off such an unreliable service, but it will take time and negotiating with our parent company (Yellow Pages).
Just curious why this year? I mean if it’s not auto renewal, shouldn’t someone has to do it manually and remember it or get notifications in advance from vendor?
RFD Alumnus
Dec 5, 2007
86 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 11:59 am
Just curious why this year? I mean if it’s not auto renewal, shouldn’t someone has to do it manually and remember it or get notifications in advance from vendor?
I honestly don't know why this failed to happen. If I were to speculate, Yellow Pages (our parent company) laid off 500 employees a few weeks ago, maybe that has something to do with it.
RFD Alumni
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1799 posts
512 upvotes
Brampton, ON
MarkRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 12:06 pm
I honestly don't know why this failed to happen. If I were to speculate, Yellow Pages (our parent company) laid off 500 employees a few weeks ago, maybe that has something to do with it.
Shots fired!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2564 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
lubmar wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:31 am
next time if you have problems just go to "hot deals" and see if is "moving" or not ...
Thanks, I was able to determine that this time. A simple way to check if it site related or just you. Something to make note of and worthy of repeating.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
4091 posts
573 upvotes
MarkRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 12:06 pm
LOL ... a sabotage ?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14486 posts
3959 upvotes
porksoda wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 1:15 pm
we should all keep our eyes on yellowpages domains available to purchase ehhe.
I assume they won't make that mistake again, but someone could have scooped it up and held it for ransom, perhaps 500 employees worth?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Mar 2, 2008
410 posts
326 upvotes
BC
TomRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:43 am
I agree that communication during said events needs to improve.
Tom, this is the most important lesson RFD needs to address IMO. People make mistakes, hardware breaks, these are understandable and expected. It's how you deal with those issues that everyone remembers.

My suggestion:
1) Add a sticky note to this forum (Site Comments) with a link to the RFD Twitter feed (and Facebook if you feel it's worth it) and add text to the effect that 'if you are having issues with the site, such as logging in, check our news feeds". When things like this happen, this forum is the most likely one they turn to.
2) Update your Twitter feed regularly. I.e. not just once when you find out there is an issue, then never touch it again until the next problem. This lets people know you're still actively working on the problem, not in bed for the night. Every hour or two should be sufficient.
3) Once the problem is resolved, create a new thread on this forum and explain the problem at a high level. Provide as much detail as you feel is sufficient. You can delete the thread in a few days or a week if you feel the need.

I think this would solve 90% off the communication issue.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9021 posts
13408 upvotes
Scarborough
brghunter wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 2:28 pm
Tom, this is the most important lesson RFD needs to address IMO. People make mistakes, hardware breaks, these are understandable and expected. It's how you deal with those issues that everyone remembers.

My suggestion:
1) Add a sticky note to this forum (Site Comments) with a link to the RFD Twitter feed (and Facebook if you feel it's worth it) and add text to the effect that 'if you are having issues with the site, such as logging in, check our news feeds". When things like this happen, this forum is the most likely one they turn to.
2) Update your Twitter feed regularly. I.e. not just once when you find out there is an issue, then never touch it again until the next problem. This lets people know you're still actively working on the problem, not in bed for the night. Every hour or two should be sufficient.
3) Once the problem is resolved, create a new thread on this forum and explain the problem at a high level. Provide as much detail as you feel is sufficient. You can delete the thread in a few days or a week if you feel the need.

I think this would solve 90% off the communication issue.
Thanks for your suggestions. Our solution will definitely be a multi-pronged approach as we have many different user types so we want to maximize visibility of our communications. It'll be a combination of on-site and 3rd party app communications and I'd also like to go a step further by dynamically changing the websites contact us page as it's unrealistic for us to communicate back (in a timely manner) to every user who emails us asking if there's a problem. A new thread per each outage is a great idea and an easy change so we'll be doing that moving forward.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6004 posts
2139 upvotes
Calgary
And I wondered why I didn't buy anything in the past 24 hours. :lol:
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12581 posts
4929 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
althetrainer wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 3:15 pm
And I wondered why I didn't buy anything in the past 24 hours. :lol:
You mean an extended RFD outage could decimate the Canadian retail industry? :twisted:
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6004 posts
2139 upvotes
Calgary
bylo wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 3:20 pm
You mean an extended RFD outage could decimate the Canadian retail industry? :twisted:
Not sure about the entire Canadian retail industry but I bet Amazon.ca sales went down 50% yesterday. :lol: