Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14486 posts
3959 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 3:20 pm
You mean an extended RFD outage could decimate the Canadian retail industry? :twisted:
The owners could only hope. It probably has the opposite effect, people buy less low cost and slightly more full cost items
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14559 posts
1355 upvotes
Scarborough
Holyyyy angelina jolieeeeee I thought RFD went down with NCIX.

What a relief.
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14559 posts
1355 upvotes
Scarborough
MarkRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:26 am
Unfortunately our login service is one of the only things not managed by our team directly.

During this outage, no one could login to RedFlagDeals, YellowPages.ca, make reservations at YPDine, and tons of other sites.

The root cause was the domain name yellowid.ca expired, and it took 30 people / 20 hours to identify the issue and fully resolve it.

I get why this is frustrating, I'm frustrated too. We're investigating moving off such an unreliable service, but it will take time and negotiating with our parent company (Yellow Pages).
So this tweermans was right. RFD should hire him :)
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4147 posts
2181 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:43 am
I agree that communication during said events needs to improve. I myself have access to forum announcements but during log in outages I am unable to setup new ones or temporary exist an existing one. We'll be having a meeting to discuss this and have a better plan in place for the next time this happens (which hopefully is a long ways away).

There isn't much we can do besides apologize when things like this happen. We are working on backend improvements to prevent these outages from happening again and hopefully once completed it'll greatly reduce the frequency and minimize the downtime.
Thank you Tom for your openness & honesty on the issue

Much appreciated

(I get it... being on the front line just means the crap lands on you when they turn on the fan attached to the manure spreader )
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2972 posts
820 upvotes
Mississauga
althetrainer wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 3:15 pm
And I wondered why I didn't buy anything in the past 24 hours. :lol:
Your bank account thanks you! :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6004 posts
2139 upvotes
Calgary
mrweather wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 5:44 pm
In that case RFD needs to experience more of this slight technical glitch. Many happy bank accounts as a result. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
2125 posts
76 upvotes
must've been the market crash
Aug 20, 2009
6395 posts
1048 upvotes
Grimsby
mrweather wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 5:44 pm
Haha exactly! I can't afford to save this much all the time Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4329 posts
404 upvotes
Markham
Hadn’t had dinner without checking RFD long time,it’s actually good for health. I’d suggest we shutdown RFD once a month . Certainly need plan ahead and announce in advance
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
3611 posts
1028 upvotes
Ontario
As mentioned, communication sucks. I was only able to login just now, after being unable for days. A notice saying to fix login issues, go to forget password and reset it from there would help, as that is the only way I got in.
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14366 posts
1494 upvotes
Toronto
Sort of like those banners RFD was testing / still uses for holidays and Boxing Day flyers now in, that would be really neat across the website (or the forum, if accessible).

Realistically, it's drastic but, these things don't REGULARLY happen so ... drastic measures might be necessary.

Again, I went on Twitter, I found out there.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12581 posts
4929 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
DaVibe wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 11:19 pm
Sort of like those banners RFD was testing / still uses for holidays and Boxing Day flyers now in, that would be really neat across the website (or the forum, if accessible).
ISTR a mod pointed out upthread that the issue prevented them from logging in to add a notice.
Realistically, it's drastic but, these things don't REGULARLY happen so ... drastic measures might be necessary.
Agreed about being rare, but what "drastic" measures could they have taken (on a Sunday)?
Again, I went on Twitter, I found out there.
I guess I should get with the social media program. Up to now I've successfully resisted getting accounts for Twitter, FB et al. (The thought of doing that makes my stomach churn.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14366 posts
1494 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 7:25 am
ISTR a mod pointed out upthread that the issue prevented them from logging in to add a notice.

Agreed about being rare, but what "drastic" measures could they have taken (on a Sunday)?

I guess I should get with the social media program. Up to now I've successfully resisted getting accounts for Twitter, FB et al. (The thought of doing that makes my stomach churn.)
I just mean, stepping away from the norm. RFD doesn't normally put up huge banners to announce things but this might be a good example to do just that.

If they couldn't get into the forum, which I'm not surprised by and was alluding to, then maybe they could have had something on the main website.
I know I don't visit it regularly, because I'm in the forums, but when I can't log in or the forums are down, I begin looking to those sources (website and twitter).

And you don't actually need an account (unless you want notifications when RFD posts). All I did was searched RFD Twitter, went on, read that they are down.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Mar 2, 2008
410 posts
326 upvotes
BC
bylo wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 7:25 am
DaVibe wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 8:14 am
And you don't actually need an account (unless you want notifications when RFD posts). All I did was searched RFD Twitter, went on, read that they are down.
There's also a link in the footer of every page on RFD. As DaVibe implied, there is no account requirement for viewing anyone's Twitter feed.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9021 posts
13408 upvotes
Scarborough
DaVibe wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 8:14 am
I just mean, stepping away from the norm. RFD doesn't normally put up huge banners to announce things but this might be a good example to do just that.

If they couldn't get into the forum, which I'm not surprised by and was alluding to, then maybe they could have had something on the main website.
I know I don't visit it regularly, because I'm in the forums, but when I can't log in or the forums are down, I begin looking to those sources (website and twitter).

We don't typically like to use the "Breaking News" system which creates a dismissible alert at the top of all pages but it might be repurposed for outages. We're still in discussion but we may use it for outages that last more than X amount of hours.

Social media is the easiest way for us to communicate outages as it doesn't rely on any of our own systems so we'll continue to do that. We're still hoping to create a few more improvements as well.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].