Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
155 upvotes
1226 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2012 11:55 am
They don't like Canadian teams because we have the most expensive tickets by far. Very poor value for the dollar relative to US teams. That and no Canadian team has won the cup in almost 20 years.
Vancouver, who have been in the mix for a few years now, even making it to the finals, with lots of talented players, and they are in the 90's. They seem to punish teams that have great fan bases, even if they put a good product on the ice, and, at least with the NHL, reward teams that are bleeding money and struggling to survive. Just doesn't seem like the best way to judge a franchise.
Banned
User avatar
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
:razz:
Haz wrote:
Aug 21st, 2012 12:00 pm
Haven't given him any thought since my post a week ago right after he got outed. His twitter feed was so stupid that I only following him for a few days before realizing he had as much real info as a pet rock and even less of a personality.
If you just can't get enough of Hockeyy Insiderr, his official website just opened tonight:

http://insiderrumors.com

Let's not forget, a twitter account from his "number one" fan:

https://twitter.com/HIislegit

:razz:
Banned
User avatar
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
http://twitter.com/botchford/status/245947410474479616

[QUOTE]Jason Botchford Jason Botchford ‏@botchford

GMMG on luongo trade: "We're one the league's wealthiest teams. We don't have fire sales."

11:10 AM - 12 Sep 12[/QUOTE]

But will they have the cap space to keep him, when the new CBA is agreed upon?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 29, 2003
18197 posts
1496 upvotes
Gillis is just posturing.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 25, 2003
8934 posts
1018 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm sure openly bragging about being one of the league's wealthiest teams won't come back to bite him...
General Radek had some good ideas.
Banned
User avatar
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
1226 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 8:35 pm
I'm sure openly bragging about being one of the league's wealthiest teams won't come back to bite him...
I think the implication of his comments were that they wouldn't deal him mainly due to the financial reasons (saddled by long-term big contract). It would be a "hockey" decision and they will wait until they get the best offer that they feel helps the team on the ice.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 25, 2003
8934 posts
1018 upvotes
Vancouver
VCR wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 8:47 pm
I think the implication of his comments were that they wouldn't deal him mainly due to the financial reasons (saddled by long-term big contract). It would be a "hockey" decision and they will wait until they get the best offer that they feel helps the team on the ice.
My implication was that people are going to save this for later and use it for other reasons (e.g. ticket price increases, high concession prices, pretty much any unpopular cost cutting measure).
General Radek had some good ideas.
Banned
User avatar
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
1226 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 9:18 pm
My implication was that people are going to save this for later and use it for other reasons (e.g. ticket price increases, high concession prices, pretty much any unpopular cost cutting measure).
The people Gillis is concerned with is his fans. I think his boostfulness re-inforces the idea that the Canucks will make decisions that will improve their on-ice product and not to maximize their profitability.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
155 upvotes
VCR wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 10:28 pm
The people Gillis is concerned with is his fans. I think his boostfulness re-inforces the idea that the Canucks will make decisions that will improve their on-ice product and not to maximize their profitability.
The way I see it, back office financial reasons were never the pressing issue here. The real issues are personnel issues(Lu has clearly said he wants out, starting job has been promised to Snider) and getting a reasonable return for Lu.

The boastfulness just reinforces the fact that he is trying to stand firm on the sky high price tag that he is demanding for Lu. That could easily not be what is best for the franchise if it prevents him from getting the deal done.
Banned
User avatar
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
BornRuff wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 12:30 am
The way I see it, back office financial reasons were never the pressing issue here. The real issues are personnel issues(Lu has clearly said he wants out, starting job has been promised to Snider) and getting a reasonable return for Lu.

The boastfulness just reinforces the fact that he is trying to stand firm on the sky high price tag that he is demanding for Lu. That could easily not be what is best for the franchise if it prevents him from getting the deal done.
The sky high price is speculation.

The pressure points I see is to prevent Gillis from keeping Lu until he feels he gets value for Lu is:

1. If Doan decides to sign with the Canucks then they would likely need to unload his cap hit
2. If the CBA is settled and we see a reduction in the cap that makes keeping Lu on the roster prohibitive
3. Lu becomes a distraction to the team by being disgruntled (no signs at this point)

We'll see if his patience pays off. It's a strategy with its own inherent risks. I mean if Reimer/Schriven start the season and prove to be competent or better then the Leafs interest would fall but if that combo struggles , Lu's value goes up accordingly, for example.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
155 upvotes
VCR wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 1:24 am
The sky high price is speculation.

The pressure points I see is to prevent Gillis from keeping Lu until he feels he gets value for Lu is:

1. If Doan decides to sign with the Canucks then they would likely need to unload his cap hit
2. If the CBA is settled and we see a reduction in the cap that makes keeping Lu on the roster prohibitive
3. Lu becomes a distraction to the team by being disgruntled (no signs at this point)

We'll see if his patience pays off. It's a strategy with its own inherent risks. I mean if Reimer/Schriven start the season and prove to be competent or better then the Leafs interest would fall but if that combo struggles , Lu's value goes up accordingly, for example.
Many parties involved have been pretty candid about what is going on, so I think we can accept the fact that Gillis has set a high price tag on Lu as an established fact.

Reimer and Scrivens struggling won't really change what Toronto is willing to offer. Those guys struggling is what is expected and why Toronto has been seeking better goaltending.

The personnel problem is quite clear and present. It is a terrible message to the other players that management wont be respectful of a player like Lu who has been such a huge part of the organization. They didn't just take away his starting role, but they asked him if he wanted to play somewhere else, and when he said he did, they didn't make it happen. You have to do right by your players, and what they have done to him has just been humiliating.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 25, 2003
8934 posts
1018 upvotes
Vancouver
VCR wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 10:28 pm
The people Gillis is concerned with is his fans. I think his boostfulness re-inforces the idea that the Canucks will make decisions that will improve their on-ice product and not to maximize their profitability.
What are you, his PR guy? :D
General Radek had some good ideas.
Banned
User avatar
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
BornRuff wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 11:41 am
Many parties involved have been pretty candid about what is going on, so I think we can accept the fact that Gillis has set a high price tag on Lu as an established fact.
Of course, "high price tag" is subjective. What one feels is "sky high" to one may be perceived by someone else as "fair."
Reimer and Scrivens struggling won't really change what Toronto is willing to offer. Those guys struggling is what is expected and why Toronto has been seeking better goaltending.
I disagree with this as it would be a pressure point for Burke. Unless he has found an alternative to Lu if he decides to go with the default tandem and they struggle.

The personnel problem is quite clear and present. It is a terrible message to the other players that management wont be respectful of a player like Lu who has been such a huge part of the organization. They didn't just take away his starting role, but they asked him if he wanted to play somewhere else, and when he said he did, they didn't make it happen. You have to do right by your players, and what they have done to him has just been humiliating.
Actually, management didn't take away Lu's starting role, the play and potential of Schneider did. Lu hasn't given any inclination so far that he feels "humiliated." Wouldn't you be grateful if your company gave you a so-called "cap circumvention" retirement contract?
Banned
User avatar
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
1226 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 11:44 am
What are you, his PR guy? :D
Ha, when I said "fans" -- I meant fans of the team. They can actually justify high prices on tickets, concessions when they actually spend it back in an attempt improving the quality of the on-ice product. For examples, spending up to the cap limit, having hefty one way contracts "buried" in the minors, to facilitate trades i.e. Reinprecht last season or not dealing Lu for the primary reason of a "contract dump."
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
155 upvotes
VCR wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 2:02 pm
Of course, "high price tag" is subjective. What one feels is "sky high" to one may be perceived by someone else as "fair."
Well, the fact is that while many teams were interested, nobody was willing to pay the price that he set.
VCR wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 2:02 pm
I disagree with this as it would be a pressure point for Burke. Unless he has found an alternative to Lu if he decides to go with the default tandem and they struggle.
Everyone expects them to struggle. That is why he has been shopping around goalies. A bad start isn't going to make Burke any more willing to be trade raped.
VCR wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 2:02 pm
Actually, management didn't take away Lu's starting role, the play and potential of Schneider did. Lu hasn't given any inclination so far that he feels "humiliated." Wouldn't you be grateful if your company gave you a so-called "cap circumvention" retirement contract?
Actually, it was management who made the decision.

It was only like three years ago that he was captain of the team and they signed him to a lifetime contract, pretty much going all in on declaring him the future of the organization.

Now, things do change, that is life. But they could at least allow him a graceful exit.

Top