Jun 28, 2015
165 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not sure it would make a difference. The canucks need a rebuild. They've been a good team for a number of years but that time has come and gone.

The Sedins and eriksson eat up too much of the cap. The Sedins are virtually unmovable. Until they are off the books, they will continue to be in this position .. no matter who is behind the bench.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3287 posts
1931 upvotes
North Vancouver
Virtanen re-assigned to Utica. Hopefully it's for the rest of the year.

Canucks interested in trading for Evander Kane. Yep.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17277 posts
1182 upvotes
What a gong show this team is.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3287 posts
1931 upvotes
North Vancouver

Good, although I'm sure this will be revisited again by the current management.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3287 posts
1931 upvotes
North Vancouver
Canucks extend Ben Hutton. 2 years, 2.8M AAV. No complaints.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2005
1079 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone recommend good places to eat by the Rogers Centre? I'll be going to the game against the Leafs on December 3rd and would like to get some food/drinks beforehand.
Ebay Feedback 155-0-0

RFD Feedback 4-0
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2007
1841 posts
27 upvotes
theinfamous wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 11:48 am
Can anyone recommend good places to eat by the Rogers Centre? I'll be going to the game against the Leafs on December 3rd and would like to get some food/drinks beforehand.
Depends what you wanna eat. If you want bar food and drinks go to Shark Club on West Cordova: https://www.sharkclub.com/location/vancouver/

If you want cheap eats, go to Costco right across from Rogers arena near the club seat entrance on the lower level, you can see it from the Roger Neilson statue, usually a line of Canucks fans by there.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask, enjoy the game
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17277 posts
1182 upvotes
scv wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 9:57 pm
Can't say I'm expecting anything, but... Two teams reportedly interested in trading for the Sedins at their full cap hit.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/ru ... spartanntp
All it take is Benning calling 2 teams asking if they are interested in both Sedins at full cap hit and those 2 teams told him hell no. Someone catches wind that the call took place without all the details and boom, there's the rumour.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Feb 3, 2011
928 posts
130 upvotes
Haz wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 10:47 pm
All it take is Benning calling 2 teams asking if they are interested in both Sedins at full cap hit and those 2 teams told him hell no. Someone catches wind that the call took place without all the details and boom, there's the rumour.
Botchford is such a hack of a reporter.

Anyone actually believing that a team would take both Sedins at FULL cap hit is delusional. There's currently one team (Carolina) that has the space to fit their $14 million cap hit. Every team is below $10 million right now. There's no way Canucks can avoid taking back bad contracts to balance the numbers, and there's no way they're getting high picks or prospects for two 36 year old players.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
15661 posts
1306 upvotes
Langley
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 1:32 pm
Botchford is such a hack of a reporter.

Anyone actually believing that a team would take both Sedins at FULL cap hit is delusional. There's currently one team (Carolina) that has the space to fit their $14 million cap hit. Every team is below $10 million right now. There's no way Canucks can avoid taking back bad contracts to balance the numbers, and there's no way they're getting high picks or prospects for two 36 year old players.
You should have read the article.
As Botchford points out, such a move would likely have to take place in the off-season.
And you're wrong about a bunch of other stuff too.... Even without cap space:
-a team with a big injury can fit them in. There will certainly be some big names/big salaries out for the season by the trade deadline.
-nobody says that Canucks wouldn't/shouldn't take back a bad contract, since that increases the pick/prostects coming this way.

I don't think they should trade them this year, but at trade deadline next year, if the team is out of a playoff position, they should get the chance to go to a contender. They can go to separate teams if that's what it takes. And they can resign in Van in summer 2018 if they want.

With 17 and 18 points, they're currently tied for 57th and 71st among NHL forwards. If you assume that there's 90 first-line forwards in the NHL, they're a great 2nd line option for a prime contender, and pro-rated 7mil cap hit at next year's trade deadline is quite manageable for many teams, given injuries over a season, contracts coming back this way, or salary retention.Look at what a high-end 2nd line rental player goes for at the deadline. Assuming no huge drop in production, they will absolutely be worth a high pick.
Feb 3, 2011
928 posts
130 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 2:21 pm
You should have read the article.

And you're wrong about a bunch of other stuff too.... Even without cap space:
-a team with a big injury can fit them in. There will certainly be some big names/big salaries out for the season by the trade deadline.
-nobody says that Canucks wouldn't/shouldn't take back a bad contract, since that increases the pick/prostects coming this way.

I don't think they should trade them this year, but at trade deadline next year, if the team is out of a playoff position, they should get the chance to go to a contender. They can go to separate teams if that's what it takes. And they can resign in Van in summer 2018 if they want.

With 17 and 18 points, they're currently tied for 57th and 71st among NHL forwards. If you assume that there's 90 first-line forwards in the NHL, they're a great 2nd line option for a prime contender, and pro-rated 7mil cap hit at next year's trade deadline is quite manageable for many teams, given injuries over a season, contracts coming back this way, or salary retention.Look at what a high-end 2nd line rental player goes for at the deadline. Assuming no huge drop in production, they will absolutely be worth a high pick.
I did read the article, and I have to disagree with your points. How can you rely on a team suffering a serious injury to their big salary players for the rest of the season to fit the Sedins in? Yes, that would give that team cap relief by moving the injured player to LTIR, but when he comes back, that team is in trouble. AND, Sedins have AAV of $7 million each for next season as well that teams will be on the hook for. And LTIR gives relief in cap savings but not in real dollars (insurance covers only part of it), so financially strapped teams will still have trouble paying for the Sedins. You'll need people to suffer long term injuries of up to a year, good luck with that.

And ya, Canucks will have to take a bad contract back, but other GM's aren't dumb. They know they're taking two bad contracts off the Canucks' roster too, there's no need to pay a boat load for the Sedins. If they can get a first rounder for Sedins from a playoff team (it's pretty much a glorified high 2nd rounder), then I'd say that's a huge win for the Canucks. There's no way they're getting picks + high end prospects.

Sedins are 36 this year, and 37 on their final year. They are considered senior citizens in this new NHL. Sorry, but spending $14 million on two thirds of a SECOND line, 20% of your annual cap, is crazy. You can piece together a cheaper 2nd line, similar production, with average age of 25 much easier.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17277 posts
1182 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 11:24 pm
I did read the article, and I have to disagree with your points. How can you rely on a team suffering a serious injury to their big salary players for the rest of the season to fit the Sedins in? Yes, that would give that team cap relief by moving the injured player to LTIR, but when he comes back, that team is in trouble. AND, Sedins have AAV of $7 million each for next season as well that teams will be on the hook for. And LTIR gives relief in cap savings but not in real dollars (insurance covers only part of it), so financially strapped teams will still have trouble paying for the Sedins. You'll need people to suffer long term injuries of up to a year, good luck with that.

And ya, Canucks will have to take a bad contract back, but other GM's aren't dumb. They know they're taking two bad contracts off the Canucks' roster too, there's no need to pay a boat load for the Sedins. If they can get a first rounder for Sedins from a playoff team (it's pretty much a glorified high 2nd rounder), then I'd say that's a huge win for the Canucks. There's no way they're getting picks + high end prospects.

Sedins are 36 this year, and 37 on their final year. They are considered senior citizens in this new NHL. Sorry, but spending $14 million on two thirds of a SECOND line, 20% of your annual cap, is crazy. You can piece together a cheaper 2nd line, similar production, with average age of 25 much easier.
He was pointing out next season's trade deadline where the cap hit would be less and if a big money player on the other team is on LTIR long enough to bleed into the playoffs, there's no cap there.

However unlikely, Botch is just filing something in for his paycheque and to get tongue waggling.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Feb 3, 2011
928 posts
130 upvotes
Haz wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 11:56 pm
He was pointing out next season's trade deadline where the cap hit would be less and if a big money player on the other team is on LTIR long enough to bleed into the playoffs, there's no cap there.

However unlikely, Botch is just filing something in for his paycheque and to get tongue waggling.
I get it, the chances are better next year but still highly unlikely, and banking on a big money player from a contending team landing in LTIR seems a bit wishful thinking. And let's not forget they have a no trade clause. I think what's best for the Canucks is to get worse now. I like the Sedins and really hope they get a chance to contend for a cup, but it's going to take a lot of creativeness and luck to move these guys.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17277 posts
1182 upvotes
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 12:23 am
I get it, the chances are better next year but still highly unlikely, and banking on a big money player from a contending team landing in LTIR seems a bit wishful thinking. And let's not forget they have a no trade clause. I think what's best for the Canucks is to get worse now. I like the Sedins and really hope they get a chance to contend for a cup, but it's going to take a lot of creativeness and luck to move these guys.
The Sedins have been on record saying they would not want to win the cup anywhere else. I respect that they are loyal but if they were given the chance, I would have no problem with them going to a contender to finally lift Lord Stanley's mug.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel