Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1001 posts
139 upvotes
Haz wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 12:33 am
The Sedins have been on record saying they would not want to win the cup anywhere else. I respect that they are loyal but if they were given the chance, I would have no problem with them going to a contender to finally lift Lord Stanley's mug.
Gotta respect that. Players earned their NMC/NTC, so if they don't want to move, that's fine with me.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
15735 posts
1373 upvotes
Langley
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 11:24 pm
I did read the article, and I have to disagree with your points. How can you rely on a team suffering a serious injury to their big salary players for the rest of the season to fit the Sedins in? Yes, that would give that team cap relief by moving the injured player to LTIR, but when he comes back, that team is in trouble. AND, Sedins have AAV of $7 million each for next season as well that teams will be on the hook for.
If a team finds itself with players out for the season, and they have some cap space, they can fit the Sedins. Say by the time the trade deadline rolls around, a team has 4m in cap space, 5m in injuries, and sends 5m back to the Canucks. I'm not saying that a team will aquire the Sedins then hope they have injuries, I'm saying that injuries could open the door to teams being able to fit them in later this year.

If Stamkos is out for the year, TB will have 11.75m in cap space by this year's deadline, assuming that nobody else goes on LTIR.
The Bruins have $18,812,165 in deadline cap space.
The Senators have $21,147,269 in deadline cap space.
The Kings will have $12,588,361 by the deadline if Quick is out for the season.

I'm not saying that any of these teams will be interested, but there are going to be teams that can afford to take on 14m in salary later in the year.
sharpshooter88 wrote:
And LTIR gives relief in cap savings but not in real dollars (insurance covers only part of it), so financially strapped teams will still have trouble paying for the Sedins.
Sure, but the trade deadline is only 40 days away from the end of the season. A team acquiring 14m in salary only has to pay 40/180 of that, or 3.1m, of actual dollars.
sharpshooter88 wrote:
You'll need people to suffer long term injuries of up to a year, good luck with that.
Happens every year, players out for the season. Dorsett and his 2.6m are probably gone for the year. And they'll be a lot more as the season wears on.

Next year is another issue, but any team acquiring the Sedins can clear cap space, many teams have done it. It will cost that team picks, but teams gearing up for a cup run do this all the time. As Botchford says, this is the most likely scenario, giving teams a lot more flexibility to clear space.
sharpshooter88 wrote:
And ya, Canucks will have to take a bad contract back, but other GM's aren't dumb. They know they're taking two bad contracts off the Canucks' roster too, there's no need to pay a boat load for the Sedins. If they can get a first rounder for Sedins from a playoff team (it's pretty much a glorified high 2nd rounder), then I'd say that's a huge win for the Canucks. There's no way they're getting picks + high end prospects.
A first rounder, even any second rounder is a high pick. You said they won't get high picks or prospects, I think they would get high picks. Nobody thinks they're going to get a "boat load", Botchford is just making the point that GMs would give *something*.
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Sedins are 36 this year, and 37 on their final year. They are considered senior citizens in this new NHL.
Sure, but for a team that acquires them next summer, it's only a one year commitment. Many players are effective into their late 30s, especially Swedes.
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Sorry, but spending $14 million on two thirds of a SECOND line, 20% of your annual cap, is crazy.
Tell that to the Penguins.
sharpshooter88 wrote:
You can piece together a cheaper 2nd line, similar production, with average age of 25 much easier.
No, you can't. To get a cheaper, younger, better 2nd line than the Sedins, would cost you a whole lot more picks and prospects. There are better and cheaper second lines, but the teams that have them won't give them up for a late first and a late second.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2007
1841 posts
27 upvotes
4 game win streak, we aren't going anywhere fast, maybe ship Miller off at deadline? He's stole a few games but like I said we aren't going anywhere fast
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17296 posts
1186 upvotes
MVP1 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 6:12 am
4 game win streak, we aren't going anywhere fast, maybe ship Miller off at deadline? He's stole a few games but like I said we aren't going anywhere fast
But somehow at .500 we're one point out of a playoff spot. WTF happened to the West?
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3293 posts
1933 upvotes
North Vancouver
The worst possible position. Not good enough to contend, but not bad enough for the ownership to rebuild.

This team is stuck in the same limbo that the Leafs/Oilers/Flames were a few years back. Maybe the Aquilinis will get lucky and get a couple games of playoff revenue.

This will probably end up saving Benning/Linden/Desjardins' jobs for another year too.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8642 posts
892 upvotes
Vancouver
scv wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 3:00 pm
The worst possible position. Not good enough to contend, but not bad enough for the ownership to rebuild.

This team is stuck in the same limbo that the Leafs/Oilers/Flames were a few years back. Maybe the Aquilinis will get lucky and get a couple games of playoff revenue.

This will probably end up saving Benning/Linden/Desjardins' jobs for another year too.
Try being a Avs fan. It's worse.
General Radek had some good ideas.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4513 posts
161 upvotes
Vancity
Burrows to Ottawa for Jonathan Dahlen
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3293 posts
1933 upvotes
North Vancouver
sonick wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 4:51 pm
Burrows to Ottawa for Jonathan Dahlen
No complaints at all. I never thought I would say this about a Benning trade. I really like Dahlen as a prospect.

As for Burrows, I will miss him, but it was time. He was a great player here, and I hope that he finds success in Ottawa.

Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17296 posts
1186 upvotes
scv wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 7:43 pm
No complaints at all. I never thought I would say this about a Benning trade. I really like Dahlen as a prospect.

As for Burrows, I will miss him, but it was time. He was a great player here, and I hope that he finds success in Ottawa.

Will miss Burr but good deal for the Canucks. He also signed a 2 year extension for $2.5 million per. That's great for him, especially since he was a guy who we talked about getting bought out just a year ago.

I heard Sens fans aren't all that happy about the deal though.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
15735 posts
1373 upvotes
Langley
Haz wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 8:04 pm
Will miss Burr but good deal for the Canucks. He also signed a 2 year extension for $2.5 million per. That's great for him, especially since he was a guy who we talked about getting bought out just a year ago.

I heard Sens fans aren't all that happy about the deal though.
Yeah... look at the twitter reaction. Almost all negative.

Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10292 posts
1323 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Alex Burrows is my favourite player. I hate the Canucks for trading him!!!!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3562 posts
1123 upvotes
BC / GVA
https://www.nhl.com/news/canucks-trade- ... -287248162

Jannik Hansen was traded to the San Jose Sharks for Nikolay Goldobin and a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft. The condition is that if the Shark's win the Stanley Cup the Canucks will get the Shark's first-round pick instead. With that said, go Sharks go!

An ironic wise man once said, "Buy now, think later. The bubble will never burst."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3293 posts
1933 upvotes
North Vancouver
Another decent trade by Benning. Goldobin has potential and is probably NHL ready. It will be weird rooting for the Sharks to win the Cup this year.

I think I'm going to miss Hansen more than I will Burrows. Confused Face

× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel