Tags:
None
Jun 15, 2012
707 posts
48 upvotes
MB
sandeeS wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 9:42 pm
pssst. Why don't we increase that to 20c/L. These guys are rich with big gas guzzlers. So they don't have problem paying that extra money right?
And yes no one else other than these people use vehicles for anything.
I will give you one thing. "What a waste of taxpayers money."
For Wynne and Liberals this is always the case.
And what the hell Ukraine has to do with Canada?
Plus 5 cents it is just extra 25 cents per work day, for those that have to drive 100 km to get to work place.
( car uses 5 l/100 km on high way)
And cost of transportation in your groceries is minuscule, if you remember in 2012 gasoline was ~1.30 CAD and groceries were still cheaper.
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4917 posts
965 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Sanyo wrote:
Dec 31st, 2016 10:49 pm
You realize the Libs have added 13 net cents to the cost of gas (first the HST scam that McGuinty added to the cost of items that were previously PST exempted like gasoline so 8 cents added there) and now the 5 cents by cap and trade (and believe me this thing is going to skyrocket like the stupid hydro fiasco).

This province is so f'd...
This sounds a bit partisan.

I'm not disagreeing with you with the f****** Liberals and the HST, but lets not forget this was also the grand idea of the late Conservative Jim Flaherty to switch to HST.

At the end of the day, whether it's the Liberals or the Conservatives, both will find a way to either tax you death, or waste money through corruption, or just plain incompetence. Both parties are guilty of taking Ontario and Canada down the tubes.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
3965 posts
1048 upvotes
Kingston, ON
chimaican wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2017 10:20 am

I'm not disagreeing with you with the f****** Liberals and the HST, but lets not forget this was also the grand idea of the late Conservative Jim Flaherty to switch to HST.

At the end of the day, whether it's the Liberals or the Conservatives, both will find a way to either tax you death, or waste money through corruption, or just plain incompetence. Both parties are guilty of taking Ontario and Canada down the tubes.
The province has always had full flexibility for what to exempt from provincial portion of HST though, so we can't lay that on Flaherty. (Note: I'm not a federal Conservative supporter either) They put in the <$4 prepared food exemption under pressure not to tax people's morning coffees. They've exempted things like children's clothing, books, and feminine hygiene products all along (later of which finally got zero-rated federally). Newfoundland has been on HST for... 2 decades almost?... and they just applied the 10% provincial portion to books effective Jan 1, 2017.

From day one of Ontario HST, Horwath and the Ontario NDP have been calling for an exemption on Hydro and home heating oil. 6.5 years later the Libs are finally putting in the Hydro provincial 8% exemption.

The HST is actually a much better system from a business perspective than having the separate Retail Sales Tax. It's one filing you're doing anyway, so the accounting is more straightforward. Red tape is reduced, and you deal with one CRA audit department rather than a redundant provincial ministry too. So HST is great, but the provincial Liberals still managed to muck it up by

a) McGuinty pretending it was neutral and not a tax increase ('savings will be passed on!')
b) Taxing Hydro in the first place, only to take it away years later once everyone was fed up
&
c) Optics of tax on tax on fuel. HST is charged on top of provincial (&fed) fuel excise tax and cap & trade costs.

I still think they should have sold people on HST by lowering the provincial rate when they brought it in... go from 5%+8% to a 12% HST. Instead they've managed to tar the HST reputation as 'another Liberal tax grab' when it's actually a good thing (when the exemptions are handled right).
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2010
1700 posts
135 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2017 10:20 am

It's funny how people blame the Ontario liberals, when this is happening because of conservative policies (eg. Flaherty, Harris, etc.).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6415 posts
624 upvotes
insurance1 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2017 1:30 pm
It's funny how people blame the Ontario liberals, when this is happening because of conservative policies (eg. Flaherty, Harris, etc.).
its not con policy to keep HST in Ontario, its Liberal policy.

in BC people screamed, voted, and vetoed the HST. In Ontario, Liberals North Korea'd the population, and no voting was allowed on the issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2010
1700 posts
135 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2017 2:40 pm
its not con policy to keep HST in Ontario, its Liberal policy.

in BC people screamed, voted, and vetoed the HST. In Ontario, Liberals North Korea'd the population, and no voting was allowed on the issue.
We elect the government, who then decides on our behalf what's best for us. There's a referendum every four years called a general election.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
3965 posts
1048 upvotes
Kingston, ON
The ON Liberals have been reelected twice (god knows how though) since HST, so there's your public endorsement. I don't recall them campaigning on Cap & Trade however.

BC's HST referendum really shot the province in the foot just so people could voice displeasure. The province lost billions from the federal government and businesses got stuck with the costs of a second transition, away from the tax they had just transitioned to. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16382 posts
906 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Mike15 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2017 8:23 pm
The ON Liberals have been reelected twice (god knows how though) since HST, so there's your public endorsement. I don't recall them campaigning on Cap & Trade however.

BC's HST referendum really shot the province in the foot just so people could voice displeasure. The province lost billions from the federal government and businesses got stuck with the costs of a second transition, away from the tax they had just transitioned to. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
They didn't campaign on selling off our Hydro assets either. Disgusting that the Ontario Liberals are still in charge of our Province.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10959 posts
14441 upvotes
Its puzzling why people in Ontario complain about the Ontario Liberals and yet keep voting them in.

So will the voters in 2018 throw them out?

The Ontario Liberals will again paint the Conservatives as Social Conservatives in the next election. It seem to work every time.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3628 posts
392 upvotes
Some of you people actually believe as if any new government in power would do any better. It's mediocrity no matter which party gets voted in. Liberals in power and people will have something to complain about. Conservatives in power and people will have something to complain about. Poor decisions no matter who is in power. It just goes back and forth.
Jun 15, 2012
707 posts
48 upvotes
MB
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2017 10:07 pm
Some of you people actually believe as if any new government in power would do any better. It's mediocrity no matter which party gets voted in. Liberals in power and people will have something to complain about. Conservatives in power and people will have something to complain about. Poor decisions no matter who is in power. It just goes back and forth.
I know for sure if Ukraine would have Canadian government, doesn't matter liberal, conservative or ndp, Ukraine would be the most prosperous and powerful nation in Europe or even world.
You have the best government in the world. Some of you simply don't comprehend how lucky you are.
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
Apr 1, 2013
406 posts
67 upvotes
BC
According to scientific sources Canada has 990-million acres of forests,
370-million acres of wetlands and167-million acres of crop yielding
farmland.
These are known as "carbon sinks". Biologists tell us that trees absorb
about 2.6 tones of carbon per acre.
So if you do the math 990-million acres x 2.6 tones per acre = 2.574
billion tones of carbon being absorbed every year.

Now if you do more math: 36-trillion tones {the amount of world
emission}x 0.0167 (1.67%) = 601.2-million tones.
-- This is the amount of carbon that Canada contributes to the world
emissions.--

In the forests alone, Canada absorbs almost four times the amount of
carbon that it emits.
This means that the other three quarters of our forests are being
sustained by carbon being emitted by the rest of the world.
This calculation does not take into account the wetland or farmland
that also absorb carbon.

Canada really couldn't get any greener, so why are our politicians hell
bent on punishing us with these ridicules carbon taxes? If the media were
honest this information would be made public.

Considering the fact that Canada is given no credit for absorbing much
more carbon than it emits I think there is a good case for some lawyer to
charge our governments with a"class action lawsuit".
Apr 1, 2013
406 posts
67 upvotes
BC
ukrainiandude wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2017 10:19 pm
I know for sure if Ukraine would have Canadian government, doesn't matter liberal, conservative or ndp, Ukraine would be the most prosperous and powerful nation in Europe or even world.
You have the best government in the world. Some of you simply don't comprehend how lucky you are.
That's why Canada is so messed up, because most people think like you and voted Liberal.
May 22, 2016
646 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario
ukrainiandude wrote:

We don't have the best govt in the world. We have some of the hardest working ppl in the world. Immigrants banded together without any help to settle in areas that were pretty much impossible to live in and managed to life off the land without help from anybody but their community.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4914 posts
990 upvotes
GTA
ukrainiandude wrote:
One of the reasons for Canada having a relatively "good" government is people demanding it to do better. The more passive and less involved the electorate, the more corrupt and inefficient the government is.