• Mar 21st, 2017 9:10 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7005 posts
2096 upvotes
Toronto
Either way, I still need to fuel my gas guzzling V8.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jul 30, 2010
525 posts
57 upvotes
Taxes like this always impact the lower class more than upper class. The reality is that most people need to drive, so while I can absorb a $20 a month increase to drive to work, a lot of other people can't.

"Take public transportation". The classic cop out for someone who doesn't care to actually look at a problem seriously. Buses and trains don't access every area of the city, and add probably an hour each way to your commute (in Calgary or Winnipeg in my experience anyways).

The bus system in both cities is terrible (though I don't know how it could ever be improved...how do you create a timely bus route that accesses every residential part of a city?), and the transit pass cost goes up every year as well.

This is for someone living in the city; living in the country because you can't afford to live in the city makes things even harder, because there is no flexibility there. You spend a specific amount of time driving, your insurance, etc. You try to keep your gas cost budgeted, but this would increase it and force you to sacrifice somewhere else in order to compensate. When I was younger I had the choice to live with my parents in the country for free, or live in the city for $600 a month in an apartment. The price of gas was a major factor in this, but obviously not the only one. A single person could move into the city to save on gas and try to balance the additional monthly living expense, but a family is less mobile. Move into a rathole in the city or keep your affordable house outside and commute.

Someone who owns a $70,000 SUV or truck doesn't think twice about the price of gas when they fill up, so this is definitely targeting the wrong group of taxpayers. Not to mention that the cap and trade system is a stupid system to begin with.

Every single tax increase always has serious negative effects to the middle to lower income households first, which is why it's so strange to support left wing "raise taxes" parties when they screw you over the hardest. The best reduction in my own personal taxes have been the income tax reduction by moving out of the left wing shithole of Manitoba into Alberta (saved $2000 a year), the reduction of the GST (thanks Harper), and the lack of PST here as well. Thank you, right wing politics. Oh, and Alberta Health care is a massive leap better than Manitoba Health, so there really isn't anything positive you can say about left wing rule.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4149 posts
305 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 2:36 pm
Taxes like this always impact the lower class more than upper class. The reality is that most people need to drive, so while I can absorb a $20 a month increase to drive to work, a lot of other people can't.

"Take public transportation". The classic cop out for someone who doesn't care to actually look at a problem seriously. Buses and trains don't access every area of the city, and add probably an hour each way to your commute (in Calgary or Winnipeg in my experience anyways).

The bus system in both cities is terrible (though I don't know how it could ever be improved...how do you create a timely bus route that accesses every residential part of a city?), and the transit pass cost goes up every year as well.

This is for someone living in the city; living in the country because you can't afford to live in the city makes things even harder, because there is no flexibility there. You spend a specific amount of time driving, your insurance, etc. You try to keep your gas cost budgeted, but this would increase it and force you to sacrifice somewhere else in order to compensate. When I was younger I had the choice to live with my parents in the country for free, or live in the city for $600 a month in an apartment. The price of gas was a major factor in this, but obviously not the only one. A single person could move into the city to save on gas and try to balance the additional monthly living expense, but a family is less mobile. Move into a rathole in the city or keep your affordable house outside and commute.

Someone who owns a $70,000 SUV or truck doesn't think twice about the price of gas when they fill up, so this is definitely targeting the wrong group of taxpayers. Not to mention that the cap and trade system is a stupid system to begin with.

Every single tax increase always has serious negative effects to the middle to lower income households first, which is why it's so strange to support left wing "raise taxes" parties when they screw you over the hardest. The best reduction in my own personal taxes have been the income tax reduction by moving out of the left wing shithole of Manitoba into Alberta (saved $2000 a year), the reduction of the GST (thanks Harper), and the lack of PST here as well. Thank you, right wing politics. Oh, and Alberta Health care is a massive leap better than Manitoba Health, so there really isn't anything positive you can say about left wing rule.
The solution would be not to be in the lower class.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4519 posts
332 upvotes
Scarborough
Price at the pumps now 116.9cents per litre for regular.......
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
3025 posts
769 upvotes
Archanfel wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 1:05 pm
Well, I have no problem with it other on principle (I am against big government, but protecting the environment is actually something I don't think private market can solve). Hopefully it will decrease the number of people who drives (if it's really that much a burden as critics say it is), then I would have fewer people to share the road with. My Prius uses about 4.5L/100km, say 20,000km/year, that's 900 liters or $38.7/year. Nothing really.

As for business cost, whatever is passed on to me is probably even less.

As I said, if this was a consumption tax with a corresponding income tax cut, I would have probably come out ahead.
Actually the cost passed by businesses will be even more -- they aren't cutting into their profits...
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
3025 posts
769 upvotes
I want to see each of these moron politicians take public transit like they advocate -- all talk bs talk talk talk talk talk... just increase taxes but now they try to pass it off as "good tax" and idiots eat it up.

This is why they aren't breaking down the carbon tax on bills or at the pumps... MORONS!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
7682 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 1:52 pm
At the end of the day it's a tax that you may or may not pay directly.
You have the choice to own a car and the operating expenses that come with it or not.
I think it's those who can barely afford a car but still own one that will most feel it, complain etc.
For those who can afford a large a mansion out in the 905 and trek into Toronto etc in a large gas guzzling SUV, it becomes more of progressive tax.
Eventually, those on the fringe of affording a vehicle may resort to alternatives like public transit which will help the environment.
It will ease traffic for those who can still afford to own a car and even improve their gas mileage with less stop and go traffic.
Indirectly we will all pay whether we drive or not as the costs are passed on to consumers.
But you probably realise at the same time that none of what you said is going to happen.

Everyone will still drive, everyone will still buy vehicles they THINK they can afford but can't and then complain and keep trying to make petitions to boycott x gas station etc etc when the gas prices go up.

The increased cost sucks for drivers yes but it will also make anything directly affected go up in cost as well, as has been mentioned here already. such as groceries would be one example.

I wouldn't mind the increased cost in gas (for a full tank it doesn't amount to that much more, maybe $4-$6 per tank, and I fill my 'mid sized gas guzzing cuv (V6 engine) once every 2-3 weeks. The reason I think it's ridiculous is not because of cost, but because I (as well as many others) can almost guarantee that the money made from this 'tax' will not be used for what it's supposed to be used for.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3098 posts
443 upvotes
Alberta
apnayloags wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 9:11 pm
Price at the pumps now 116.9cents per litre for regular.......
Just bought it tonight at $1.039 for reg.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4149 posts
305 upvotes
Sanyo wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 9:14 pm
Actually the cost passed by businesses will be even more -- they aren't cutting into their profits...
No, but they also don't use nearly as much gas as we do per capita. It's like the buses. They are far more inefficient comparing to my Prius, but they are far more efficient per capita since they normally carry far more people.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2376 posts
299 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
but green
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1922 posts
296 upvotes
why start another thread on this damn issue???? There are at least 3 threads about wynne using the money for her personal benefits ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7528 posts
1005 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 5th, 2017 11:00 pm
why start another thread on this damn issue???? There are at least 3 threads about wynne using the money for her personal benefits ...
It can never be hammered too many times.

Government is sickening. Theft!
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20538 posts
1891 upvotes
I feel bad for those that require 91 fuel ...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18554 posts
2028 upvotes
Poormond Hill
george__ wrote:
Jan 6th, 2017 1:17 am
I feel bad for those that require 91 fuel ...
You should also feel bad for those who use premium for all show.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel