Off Topic Archive

Locked: Capatalism and the manufacturing industry are the demise of our environment

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2012 5:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
75 upvotes

Capatalism and the manufacturing industry are the demise of our environment

Yes, we need our environment. Capitalism promotes the destruction of our environment by consuming excessive amount of limited resources. Manufacturing is the tool of capitalism.

Together the pair pollute our air and water and those in turn pollute everything else. We can't clean those things.

According to some Unions may help us save the planet. I think that is a silly notion we need to do more for the common good.

I know there are a lot of groups out there that are pro earth and life. What other easy things easy things are people actually doing in RFD land to keep us for killing our planet?
Share:
50 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5385 posts
102 upvotes
Privatize the environment and let free market decide how much it's worth.

I buy my environment from DealExtreme. Free shipping.
AcidBomber wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 8:09 pm
Warning to all (trolls) - next person to post any flamebaits (religious, sexist, racial, etc) gets an automatic ban.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2632 posts
55 upvotes
Thornhill
wow, What a bunch of one dimensional nonsense, sorry to break it to you but if you actually cared for the environment and did a little actual research you would've found out that our planet's largest polluter is the US government! :facepalm:
"Bill Clinton is still d***ing b****s" - Colin Powell
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10662 posts
14368 upvotes
I don't want to rain on the OP's nonsensical thread but capitalism and industrialization IS THE CAUSE of our HIGH STANDARD of living in North America and Europe. Has the OP ever visited any poor countries in Asia and Africa? Some people live in on $1 or $2 a day, with no running water or electricity. They don't sit in from of 50" tvs playing the XBOX or PS3 games all day.

Those people would clearly change places with us.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3651 posts
129 upvotes
Barrie
LonesomeDove wrote:
Apr 12th, 2012 2:34 am
I don't want to rain on the OP's nonsensical thread but capitalism and industrialization IS THE CAUSE of our HIGH STANDARD of living in North America and Europe. Has the OP ever visited any poor countries in Asia and Africa? Some people live in on $1 or $2 a day, with no running water or electricity. They don't sit in from of 50" tvs playing the XBOX or PS3 games all day.

Those people would clearly change places with us.

But would the earth trade places? Is that 50" TV really worth the future of your unborn child? Capitalism is endangering our very lives, and our society doesnt care as long as it gets to play one more round of Modern Warfare 3.
[QUOTE]We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2011
3835 posts
60 upvotes
Capitalism and Industrialization are ways to explain the current state of the system.

They are not really items introduced into the system swappable with other options.

You could change capitalism or impose limitations on it, but for what purpose other than environmental or human rights reasons?

You could contribute more to the common good, but would that be effective without industrialization?

Probably not.
Listening to UkBassRadio NsbRadio ProtonRadio Tosi - TheCrypt

Oh... you must be a better internetter than everyone else. You get paid to be here.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
12909 posts
1109 upvotes
spol wrote:
Apr 12th, 2012 12:47 am
wow, What a bunch of one dimensional nonsense, sorry to break it to you but if you actually cared for the environment and did a little actual research you would've found out that our planet's largest polluter is the US government! :facepalm:

Care to qualify this with something.. You accuse the OP of being one-dimensional and not doing research, but you somehow put even less effort and research into your reply.

This thread is clearly a snipe at all of DearSummer and Megalame's threads about the free market being the single fix-all solution for the economy. I think the point here is that manufacturing could not regulate itself responsibly without government oversight. Imagine if we took all environmental standards away and privatized everything. Clean water would not run to poor neighborhoods, and nobody would be held accountable for irresponsible waste disposal practices.

It's just one example of why our system beats the total bedlam that is often advocated in RFD OT.
Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
2270 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
i pay the 10 cent bag fee since it's good for the earth and all.

Then i use grocery bags as garbage bags at home so they can return to their natural landfill habitat and live long healthy lives. A lucky few will make it to the great pacific garbage patch... Or as i like to call it, the promise land.
Because you touch yourself at night
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1137 upvotes
Mississauga East
Capatalism is not destroying the environment

CONSUMERS are destroying the environment.
Consumers and consumerism drives the economy.

Take responsibility and stop buying crap you do not need.
If more people stop buying crap then there will be less need to manufacture crap.
Dec 17, 2007
340 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal
zz000ter wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 5:56 pm

If more people stop buying crap then there will be less need to manufacture crap.

If we only bought what we needed then there wouldn't be enough jobs for everyone, this is one of the major problems with our system.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
75 upvotes
zz000ter wrote:

I agree that the in the end the consumer does the actual consumption that is the demise, however, capitalism requires, promotes and allows the consumer free reign to consume much more than they require to live happy lives.

Capitalism hinders government interference to prevent excessive consumption because that would be bad for capitalism. Get rid of a market where people do as they please which in the long term is bad and put in a sustainable system of consumption and economy. What ever that economy will be will not be the capitalism we use today.

You are right. I do consume more than I need and likely have a negative impact on our environment; I am trying and I am teaching my kid to consume less. There are a lot of things I do not buy though because of guilt for the environment: PVC, 2nd car, gas guzzling car, plastic bottled drinks (almost never), convenient packet sized portions, disposables, weed killer.
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1137 upvotes
Mississauga East
olssy wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 6:02 pm
If we only bought what we needed then there wouldn't be enough jobs for everyone, this is one of the major problems with our system.

If we did not need to buy as much crap - or live in huge houses
then we would not need to earn as much

Maybe we could survive on a 25 hour work week
More jobs but work less

Buy less crap
Save the environment

stuntman wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 6:16 pm
I do consume more than I need and likely have a negative impact on our environment; I am trying and I am teaching my kid to consume less. There are a lot of things I do not buy though because of guilt for the environment: PVC, 2nd car, gas guzzling car, plastic bottled drinks (almost never), convenient packet sized portions, disposables, weed killer.

I commend you on being an "enlightened consumer" and "enlightened citizen"

People blame "the system" for everything.
The system is the aggregate of individual choices.
If enough individuals change their choices then the system will change
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10040 posts
104 upvotes
zz000ter wrote:

+1

If you think otherwise, you must think these companies are manufacturing stuff just for the sake of it and sending it straight to the landfill after manufacture :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
75 upvotes
zz000ter wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 6:20 pm
If we did not need to buy as much crap - or live in huge houses
then we would not need to earn as much
Maybe we could survive on a 25 hour work week
More jobs but work less

Buy less crap
Save the environment
Yep.

zz000ter wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 6:20 pm

I commend you on being an "enlightened consumer" and "enlightened citizen"

People blame "the system" for everything.
The system is the aggregate of individual choices.
If enough individuals change their choices then the system will change

It does not work that way and it does not for many reasons of which any single one is formitable.

1) Individuals generally do what is good for themselves in the short term (a few years) and not what is good for the group or their own future generations.
Ever given into a craving for candy? Impulse buy? Other vice?

2) People are often not knowledgeable enough or smart enough to make an informed decision. Marketing helps with muddying the waters with lies, false promises and misrepresentations)
Ever hear the masses called sheeple instead of people?

3) If enough people want something to change in government then lobby groups often get in the way. Lobbyists of industry are powerful and backed up by big money. (Ever watch the movie "Thank You For Smoking"? Great movie.)

There is a fine line between this and democracy but it is capitalism that is the driving force for excessive consumerism (or just plain consumerism).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
75 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Apr 15th, 2012 6:42 pm
+1

If you think otherwise, you must think these companies are manufacturing stuff just for the sake of it and sending it straight to the landfill after manufacture :)

The point is that generally they don't care that it does end up in a landfill or causes pollution.
They manufacture stuff for the sake of money, nothing else.
× < >