• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2020 2:01 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
MoneyHypeMike wrote: I closed my card and still have access to it.
Good to know. I guess this means that the TrueIdentity service Cap One is offering is a bit redundant and of limited value in duplicate to those of us who already have access.

An interesting point to note, though, is I did get an e-mail alert yesterday that a new inquiry had been made on my credit file. Not sure if it came via Scotia or TransUnion but it reflected a legitimate and authorized inquiry made on my file on Sep 4th. These alerts will be helpful in the future in case there is some funny business happening to our credit files.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
Smiley09 wrote: thanks

Man I do remember toying with the idea with getting a HBC card for the sale days, but I am pretty sure it was a mastercard and I didn't want another mastercard. Maybe I tried for the vintage world elite card a long time ago and got denied, although I don't have any emails about that.

I do know I don't have one, or a capital one card, maybe it was from an application a long time ago. Well that's just great.
I think at one point THE BAY converted everyone's HBC credit card to Cap One automatically. I seem to remember getting one in the mail without participating in any type of conversion, application or authorization process.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8518 posts
6261 upvotes
choclover wrote: Good to know. I guess this means that the TrueIdentity service Cap One is offering is a bit redundant and of limited value in duplicate to those of us who already have access.

An interesting point to note, though, is I did get an e-mail alert yesterday that a new inquiry had been made on my credit file. Not sure if it came via Scotia or TransUnion but it reflected a legitimate and authorized inquiry made on my file on Sep 4th. These alerts will be helpful in the future in case there is some funny business happening to our credit files.
Only if the FI queries TransUnion. If you have CIBC CC or account, then you can also setup alert there. then for sure one of them will alert you if there is an inquiry made on your file
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
4846 posts
4381 upvotes
B.C.
mkl38s wrote: both my wife and I received the letters last week, no SIN impacted since we never provided our SINs with our applications. We probably will subscribe to TransUnion, not so sure about the fraud alert though
FWIW -- if the fraud alerts work like they should, a person will confirm it's you *prior* to giving the wrongdoer credit. So it gets stopped before it happens. With the credit monitoring, it only tells you what's already happened. And if you don't have the Equifax monitoring also, it could be a while before TransUnion shows what happened via Equifax.

From my perspective, the fraud alert is like checking your blood pressure once a week at the drugstore if you're concerned about high blood pressure. That way, you can see if it's getting higher before it's too high. While TransUnion is more like going to the doctor once a year to find out you've already had high blood pressure for months, along with any adverse ramifications that go along with that.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8012 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
I was not contacted and I have Capital One credit card in Canada.

Is it possible ?
VirginPlus / Stickermule / HP Instant Ink
Feb 18, 2019
569 posts
795 upvotes
cashinstinct wrote: I was not contacted and I have Capital One credit card in Canada.

Is it possible ?
I think the letters are going out in waves. Some people got one weeks ago, I just got the letter, mine was dated Sept 3.
6 million letters is a lot to print all at once Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Frustrating since I haven't had a card with them in years... I guess they just keep all your info on file indefinitely for future solicitation.
Jul 14, 2007
495 posts
534 upvotes
Has anyone experienced issues logging into their my true identity account lately?

I keep getting errors when loading the page.

The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.

Your support ID is: 7293338151905182571“
Images
  • 319471F7-7180-42AE-A85F-8512C11790C3.png
Aug 18, 2019
13 posts
7 upvotes
ToniB1 wrote: Ive had credit alerts for 6 years on my profile and only downside is I cant get instant approval for a credit card.
Canadian Tire didnt even call me, because I was a client with them before. Changing a SIN is a big headache. And if you havent understood it yet, nobody cares about the people. Slightly Smiling Face
Hi ToniB1,

I posted a query in this regard in another thread @ fido-4gb-lte-data-plan-10-byod-no-contr ... #p32707970.

I was affected by C1 data breach and I have fraud alert and SIN alert on my credit file at Equifax and TU. Since then, I have not applied for any credit products/credit checks - CC, Mortgage, car loan, phone etc.

I wish to apply for a new post paid service with fido for a data plan. I wish to know how the credit check process would work if I were to go to "Fido store and/or call fido customer service". I gather that they could ignore the fraud alert or could call me on the number mentioned in the fraud alert to verify identity. In that case, I can provide ID proof and/or answer security questions on my file to prove my identity. My worry is that, can a credit provider reject/decline credit based on fraud alert on the credit file? If so, how does this reject/decline gets reported in the credit file and are there any adverse consequences.

It's not like I can't live without this fido offer and I am open to choose prepaid service plans with other providers without credit check. However later this year, I may be in the market for mortgage and I want to be prepared for that scenario. I am willing to take the longer route of credit check/credit approval process with fraud alerts, as long as it works and not denied just because of existence of a fraud alert. Alternatively, should I temporarily remove the fraud/SIN alert with both Credit bureaus before applying for mortgage and reapply them once the mortgage is approved. Is this is a viable approach.

As you have had alerts for 6 years, I wish to seek your suggestions in this regard. Thanks very much.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)