• Feb 20th, 2024 4:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
2005 posts
691 upvotes
GTA
As long as I have a card older than this one is it fine to cancel with respect to credit history?
Sep 13, 2021
49 posts
67 upvotes
Calgary
hash76 wrote: Can i ask what do you say to get it waived. Have been paying it... and was considering cancelling at the renewal time but if we can get it waived will keep it for a year. Thanks,
Just kept escalating until someone made the call to waive the fee. Didn't say anything specific but it might be a result of the amount I put on the card monthly/annually.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8012 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
I used that card for so long, I keep getting some kind of reminder I used to put almost all my purchases...

Example 1: Third party seller on Amazon unable to replace product, wants to refund on original method of payment, was an hassle.

Example 2: A product that now costs around $130 broke recently that I had purchased late December 2019... had a 2 year warranty, the credit card would have doubled for an extra 2 years but I don't hold the card anymore !

This card does not want me to forget it existed.
VirginPlus / Stickermule / HP Instant Ink
Nov 30, 2018
378 posts
417 upvotes
reviving old thread.. has this card for probably 15 years and have managed to get the annual fee credited for the last 10 due to the devaluation of points, loss of annual bonus, etc.. just called as my fee comes in March and escalated to Manager with no luck. Offered me $30 courtesy credit against $120 fee and I laughed. She said only option is to escalate to complaint dept for review.

Any tips on other approaches?? If I keep calling back, I wonder if they will see in my file that I have an open complaint?

It may finally be time to use my remaining points and punt the card.. as others have suggested, is the best way to get rid of points to buy a fully refundable trip on expedia, wait for charge on statement, redeem points and then cancel?

Problem with the above approach is that the refund will come back to the same card I want to cancel!! I want to redeem points, cancel, get refund all before my fee hits in March!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21706 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
luvdeals1 wrote: reviving old thread.. has this card for probably 15 years and have managed to get the annual fee credited for the last 10 due to the devaluation of points, loss of annual bonus, etc.. just called as my fee comes in March and escalated to Manager with no luck. Offered me $30 courtesy credit against $120 fee and I laughed. She said only option is to escalate to complaint dept for review.

Any tips on other approaches?? If I keep calling back, I wonder if they will see in my file that I have an open complaint?

It may finally be time to use my remaining points and punt the card.. as others have suggested, is the best way to get rid of points to buy a fully refundable trip on expedia, wait for charge on statement, redeem points and then cancel?

Problem with the above approach is that the refund will come back to the same card I want to cancel!! I want to redeem points, cancel, get refund all before my fee hits in March!
It's fourth down and more than a few yards. TIME TO PUNT!

I just punted this card this year myself after a long time. The free annual fee isn't enough benefit to continue.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jul 24, 2001
452 posts
128 upvotes
Vancouver
gr8dlr wrote: It's fourth down and more than a few yards. TIME TO PUNT!

I just punted this card this year myself after a long time. The free annual fee isn't enough benefit to continue.
I've also retained this card for far too long after the benefits downgrades. Glad some people were able to get them to waive or credit the yearly fee for years (why didn't I think of that?).

Just using up all the points and once everything is cleared will see if they would downgrade to their no fee one so I don't take a hit to my credit score and still have a backup card. If they won't downgrade then cancel it is.
Jul 24, 2001
452 posts
128 upvotes
Vancouver
Confirmed they still won't let you downgrade to a no fee card and you would have to apply for a new one. Closed my account today which was an easy process and took less than 10 mins.

The rep said I could keep using the credit keeper even after the account is closed so that's nice. Will see when the end of the period statement comes.
Jun 30, 2010
472 posts
239 upvotes
Edmonton
So what card have people switched to. Ive been paying the whole time. Paid it off every month and usually put over 80k a year on it. They have denied a limit increase 7 times lol
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21706 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
camdelle wrote: So what card have people switched to. Ive been paying the whole time. Paid it off every month and usually put over 80k a year on it. They have denied a limit increase 7 times lol
Ideally you do a bit of math and figure out what spend categories you spend a lot on. Then you gotta figure out what insurance categories are important eg warranty, travel insurance etc and then you put those specs out to Rfd to comment on.

I went to NBC world elite. 5x for grocery and restaurants, good insurance and warranty, $150 annual travel reimbursement etc. but your spend is much higher so it might not be ideal for you as they have a weird glitch with the 5x points.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jan 18, 2017
60 posts
45 upvotes
camdelle wrote: So what card have people switched to. Ive been paying the whole time. Paid it off every month and usually put over 80k a year on it. They have denied a limit increase 7 times lol
I'm still using it for a similar amount of general spending, shifted gas/groceries and most recurring charges to another card though.

The upcoming changes to Rogers WE (if you have Rogers services, which I don't, to make it 2%) are the first thing I've seen that actually looks better for higher general purpose spend that seems viable - other options in the last few years either had low caps or were going to be devalued like this one was.

Between fee and rewards, on your spend, roughly 500 per year better off than with CapOne and it sounds like even easier redemption - any transaction online (at $10+) instead of just travel (at $0.01+).
Jun 30, 2010
472 posts
239 upvotes
Edmonton
bm2ess wrote: I'm still using it for a similar amount of general spending, shifted gas/groceries and most recurring charges to another card though.

The upcoming changes to Rogers WE (if you have Rogers services, which I don't, to make it 2%) are the first thing I've seen that actually looks better for higher general purpose spend that seems viable - other options in the last few years either had low caps or were going to be devalued like this one was.

Between fee and rewards, on your spend, roughly 500 per year better off than with CapOne and it sounds like even easier redemption - any transaction online (at $10+) instead of just travel (at $0.01+).
Probelm is with capital one we cant get an increase on our limit. Probably 13 years at $10000.00 My Credit score today is 802. They wont lift a finger. At times we put an extra $8000 payment on the card so in theory we had an $18000 limit for a big spend. Their system didnt allow that lol. Capital one sucks.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12577 upvotes
Markham
camdelle wrote: Probelm is with capital one we cant get an increase on our limit. Probably 13 years at $10000.00 My Credit score today is 802. They wont lift a finger. At times we put an extra $8000 payment on the card so in theory we had an $18000 limit for a big spend. Their system didnt allow that lol. Capital one sucks.
My cash aspire is still 2000 lol
Jun 30, 2010
472 posts
239 upvotes
Edmonton
Well I bit the bullet. Applied for the CIBC. Once it arrives I will simplify my life and get rid of the amex, the westjet and the capicrap one. lol Capital one and wesjet dont expire until October but I will cancel them anyways.

Out of the gate CIBC gave me a 15000 limit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)