Personal Finance

Capital One Breach: have you been a victim of fraud?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 8:39 am
[OP]
Aug 14, 2019
91 posts
32 upvotes

Capital One Breach: have you been a victim of fraud?

I know several people recently who've been victim of fraud and the extent the criminals have gone to has been great. From having a construction vehicle parked near their home and breaking into their community mailboxes and Capital One cards being being suspended for all family members and more for unusual activity. My guess is the Seattle woman and her accomplices must've sold the credit information on the deep web.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1906 posts
171 upvotes
Ottawa
sheyenne wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 5:28 pm
I know several people recently who've been victim of fraud and the extent the criminals have gone to has been great. From having a construction vehicle parked near their home and breaking into their community mailboxes and Capital One cards being being suspended for all family members and more for unusual activity. My guess is the Seattle woman and her accomplices must've sold the credit information on the deep web.
How does one know if his Capital One was breached. I have a relative who has a Capital One Costco card and just found out 3 phones were opened under his name.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2019
91 posts
32 upvotes
masoud100 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 6:25 pm
How does one know if his Capital One was breached. I have a relative who has a Capital One Costco card and just found out 3 phones were opened under his name.
Like anytime one is a victim of fraud and false ID, how do they know? You only know until it's too late. Capital One offered free credit monitoring for a year but it's reactive monitoring. People need to check their credit profiles monthly.
Aug 31, 2008
538 posts
259 upvotes
Barrie
sheyenne wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 7:32 pm
Like anytime one is a victim of fraud and false ID, how do they know? You only know until it's too late. Capital One offered free credit monitoring for a year but it's reactive monitoring. People need to check their credit profiles monthly.
I have been a victim just recently.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2019
91 posts
32 upvotes
Halifax55 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 8:26 pm
I have been a victim just recently.
Seems like most people are now affected. Latest is TransUnion suffered a breach.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1086 posts
528 upvotes
A couple years ago on BMO cb card.
I get instant purchase notification on all my accounts. Phoned in, new card sent 5 min later
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10175 posts
500 upvotes
sheyenne wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 5:28 pm
I don't understand how the first 2 are related? A construction truck parked near someone's home doesn't mean anything and it could anyone that broke into their community mailbox?
Aug 1, 2014
218 posts
58 upvotes
masoud100 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 6:25 pm
Credit report will show that information